GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DVD Audio SACD questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 11:21 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Audio SACD questions..

I dont knwo a thing about these new formats. Which is better and easier to get the best sound out of on the ML? Where do I get these? I been seacrhing using google and I don't see a large selection of these formats available for artists that I like. Is any of Mariah Careys work available on these formats? Her voice is incredible and think would compliment the ML system nicely.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-05, 12:46 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard
I dont knwo a thing about these new formats. Which is better and easier to get the best sound out of on the ML? Where do I get these? I been seacrhing using google and I don't see a large selection of these formats available for artists that I like. Is any of Mariah Careys work available on these formats? Her voice is incredible and think would compliment the ML system nicely.
The ML system cannot play SACD at all. Nor can it play multichannel DVD-A--only stereo. For reviews of disc in both formats, and lists of all titles, see http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ I did not find Mariah Carey listed, though.
Old 04-23-05, 01:41 PM
Cerberus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ML will play SACDs fine, but will probably just not decode them properly to their full capacity..
Old 04-23-05, 04:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus
The ML will play SACDs fine, but will probably just not decode them properly to their full capacity..
If by 'fine' you mean playing the stereo track (2 channel) only, that's not even close to fine. It may be audible but a ton of the mix is being ignored.
Old 04-23-05, 10:06 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i guess i should just buy regular CD's?
I also see on Amazon.com that soem CD's are available as Enhanced CD's (Not SACD).
Will they work?
Old 04-23-05, 10:36 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

If the system could play SACD, there would be an SACD logo on the panel near the DVD-A/V logo, and Lexus would have mentioned it in their information. I have not seen that nor any other evidence of SACD capabilty. Could you give any pointers to support your statement? By the way, there are indeed hybrid SACD discs in the market, which play in any CD player, just as with DualDiscs. But that's not SACD or DVD-A, it's CD.
Old 04-23-05, 10:38 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard
so i guess i should just buy regular CD's?
I also see on Amazon.com that soem CD's are available as Enhanced CD's (Not SACD).
Will they work?
Enhanced CDs will play just like any other CDs in car systems. In a PC, they will exhibit new features and web links, but not in a CD player.
Old 04-24-05, 03:10 AM
Cerberus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrexLex
If the system could play SACD, there would be an SACD logo on the panel near the DVD-A/V logo, and Lexus would have mentioned it in their information. I have not seen that nor any other evidence of SACD capabilty. Could you give any pointers to support your statement? By the way, there are indeed hybrid SACD discs in the market, which play in any CD player, just as with DualDiscs. But that's not SACD or DVD-A, it's CD.
My earlier post was only intended to clarify a comment that was made earlier. If you place a SACD into the ML, you will get sound ( most likely 2 chanel stereo). It will not destroy the ML, or the SACD, or cause the world to end. The second part of my sentence was to state that the ML is not capable of properly decoding the SACD in order to take advantage of its full audio mix. THAT IS ALL. I am definately not as much of an expert as DrLex or bitkahuna seem to be.
Old 04-24-05, 12:30 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

My earlier post was only intended to clarify a comment that was made earlier. If you place a SACD into the ML, you will get sound ( most likely 2 chanel stereo).
Thanks for clarifying your intent. But just for the sake of accuracy for other readers, your quoted statement is still not 100% correct. Not all SACDs are hybrids. Hybrids discs are labeled. They indeed will make sound--CD 2-ch sound. Other SACD discs (non-hybrid) will make no sound at all, other than the mechanism rejecting the disc.