GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2005 E55 or 2006 GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05 | 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

same here, if i choose between the two i would get teh e55, it's just incredibly fast
Old 04-27-05 | 11:11 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

e55 all the way..if $ is no object..
Old 04-28-05 | 06:17 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

GS and a sports car for the fun drives...
Old 04-28-05 | 06:30 AM
LexusChris
Racer

I think both are kind of similar in that their both aimed towards a combination of luxury and performance but if no money was no object I would choose E55 > GS 430 as much as I love the new GS 430.
Old 04-28-05 | 06:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IsraelRX
GS and a sports car for the fun drives...
I agree that would be the best.
E55 is powerful but not really a great handling car neither for a sports sedan, M5 & RS6 handles better but doesn't look as good.
Old 04-28-05 | 08:38 AM
LexFather

If the choice is E55 vs GS, well E55 wins all the way. The only and I mean only reason to get a GS over the E55 is if quality and reliability is a #1 concern.
Pics of Brendanlim's brothers E55

The E55 accelerates like no other sedan. Its passing power and over 100mph accleration is on par with Ferraris.
On top of that, IMO, the car is absolutely beautiful to look at. The car is gorgous. Also, its an AMG E55, which oozes panache and prestige.
You get I think 12 piston brakes or something ridiculous (and they also look gorgous). The interior is nice, like any E-class.

Now for the M5, even with the bodykit, it still looks like an angry Kia. And the interior is a total letdown for 90k (quite frankly, you got to be freaking kidding me). The V-10 is F-1 influenced, has a over 8k redline and can be had in SMG and if your willing to wait, a true manual.

But for 90k, I need the total package, not just an incredible engine (btw, only 374lbs torque) where the E55 has more torque than HP.
Old 04-28-05 | 08:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If the choice is E55 vs GS, well E55 wins all the way. The only and I mean only reason to get a GS over the E55 is if quality and reliability is a #1 concern.
I second that wholeheartedly!!! E55 if quality and reliability is not your #1 concern.
Old 04-28-05 | 09:18 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default You guys are great

Thanks guys for not bagging on me for even considering a MB. I know the smart thing to do is to buy a GS430 and keep the 30k for vacations, investments etc. Something primal is pulling me to the E55. I've always been the conservative do the right thing type of guy, I've scrimped and saved money all my life. Buying the MB E55 is not a pratical thing to do but it would sure be fun for a short while. The good side of me says do the right thing again and buy the GS430 but the bad side of me says get the E55 and enjoy for a short while before I regret the cost of ownership and reliability. Keep the opinions coming. You guys are helping me.

MBE55 = Darkside

GS430 = Good
Old 04-28-05 | 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Tony
Thanks guys for not bagging on me for even considering a MB. I know the smart thing to do is to buy a GS430 and keep the 30k for vacations, investments etc. Something primal is pulling me to the E55. I've always been the conservative do the right thing type of guy, I've scrimped and saved money all my life. Buying the MB E55 is not a pratical thing to do but it would sure be fun for a short while. The good side of me says do the right thing again and buy the GS430 but the bad side of me says get the E55 and enjoy for a short while before I regret the cost of ownership and reliability. Keep the opinions coming. You guys are helping me.

MBE55 = Darkside

GS430 = Good
ok, now if you want me to throw in more considerations? if you talk about the overall car, i probably will pick the gs430, either save the money for other use or get anothet sport car like other people say. the e55 is very fast but it doesn't handle that good, even if you mod it (at the level of sport car of course)

and reliability is definitely a problem, and will always be imho. it's very hard for mb to build quality cars these days apparently. plus the interior, i love everything except the dash -- looks very complicated to say the least.

and imho, maybe coz' i don't have that much money, i probbly would prefer to get a used e55 considering the kind of depreciation rate of the car
Old 04-28-05 | 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rominl
ok, now if you want me to throw in more considerations? if you talk about the overall car, i probably will pick the gs430, either save the money for other use or get anothet sport car like other people say. the e55 is very fast but it doesn't handle that good, even if you mod it (at the level of sport car of course)

and reliability is definitely a problem, and will always be imho. it's very hard for mb to build quality cars these days apparently. plus the interior, i love everything except the dash -- looks very complicated to say the least.

and imho, maybe coz' i don't have that much money, i probbly would prefer to get a used e55 considering the kind of depreciation rate of the car
With all the factors that rominl mentioned,
Just LEASE an E55 for short term. That way, you get a chance to enjoy the car, not flushing your down payment down the drain, walk away when the lease ends, and you can still have a on your face and still $ in your pocket.

Again, if I was to ever enjoy an MB or a BMW, it would be a short term lease, the shorter the better.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 04-28-05 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-28-05 | 09:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by rominl

Yes, the depreciation on MB's absolutely horrendous. I would also get a used E55 if I were to buy one.

The HP numbers are certainly intoxicating and the "drag racer" characteristics of the car will be amazing. But handling is another story entirely. It is not a "real" sports car. But then again, it all depends on why you are buying it to begin with.
Old 04-28-05 | 10:04 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by Tony

MBE55 = Darkside

GS430 = Good
We're here to help, not bag on you Wow, I haven't that word "bag" in such a long time.
Most owners here either own or have owned MBs and the way how MB's been lately, we know the experience of MB ownership.
You already made up your mind, now go enjoy it and post pictures

Unfortunately buying a car is more "emotional" rather than "rational"
Old 04-28-05 | 12:42 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

I believe the best solution has already been offered.....

satisfy both sides..... Get a Lease on the E55 AMG... I believe this May MBUSA is offering some Lease incentives for the C class and Eclass
Old 04-28-05 | 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
We're here to help, not bag on you Wow, I haven't that word "bag" in such a long time.
Most owners here either own or have owned MBs and the way how MB's been lately, we know the experience of MB ownership.
You already made up your mind, now go enjoy it and post pictures

Unfortunately buying a car is more "emotional" rather than "rational"
and sometimes i feel very much blessed that people here do give out objective comments. when i saw this thread i was afraid that some people will come in and bash mb, or otherwise. but it's been soooo good so far
Old 04-28-05 | 01:16 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Pics of Brendanlim's brothers E55

The E55 accelerates like no other sedan. Its passing power and over 100mph accleration is on par with Ferraris.
On top of that, IMO, the car is absolutely beautiful to look at. The car is gorgous. Also, its an AMG E55, which oozes panache and prestige.
You get I think 12 piston brakes or something ridiculous (and they also look gorgous). The interior is nice, like any E-class.

Now for the M5, even with the bodykit, it still looks like an angry Kia. And the interior is a total letdown for 90k (quite frankly, you got to be freaking kidding me). The V-10 is F-1 influenced, has a over 8k redline and can be had in SMG and if your willing to wait, a true manual.

But for 90k, I need the total package, not just an incredible engine (btw, only 374lbs torque) where the E55 has more torque than HP.
I MUST SAY THAT CAR HAS SOME KILLER LOOKS AND LINES

Well don't forget get about the service at MB and also who makes MB CHRYSLER But it's your money and spend it the way you want I know were all here just to help you decide in your decision but the service at Lexus surpass any body's in the car business from my experience of dealerships. I would say if your leaning towards the MB get then if your not happy with it you can always trade it in on the Lexus GS 430

Quick Reply: 2005 E55 or 2006 GS430?