GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2005 E55 or 2006 GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 02:19 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing comparisons like these 2 makes me want Lexus to release it's AMG counterpart like... right now
Old 04-28-05, 02:29 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The HP and handling is a very nice thing to have with the MB, no question about it. As far as features, ergonomics, styling, reliability, and comfort, I think the GS blows the doors off the E55.

A buddy of mine just got the E55 the same time I got my GS430 and he was a bit jealous when sitting in the vehicle. Thought the features were great, and the comfort of the seats and interior was just overall nicer. He didn't drive the GS. Had he done so, he might have appreciated some aspects of the drive, but probably would have sided once again with his E55.

Ohh, and if you get the MB, make sure you get all the options. The will cost you 100k+ but if you don't it is really tough to justify getting an MB that has less features than the GS but costs much more.

With the GS, I'd get:
- PCS
- Park Assist
- ML w/Nav
- No Run Flats
- Sirius Radio
This will cost you around 63k

With the MB, I'd get (you need to get all these options to compare)
- Distronic
- Parktronic
- HID's Active System
- Sirius Satellite
- Ventilated Seats
- Nav
- Phone System
- Keyless Go
- Power Sunshade
- Tire Pressure Monitoring (nicer than GS)
This will cost you 101k
Old 04-28-05, 02:31 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the summary of Build Your Own E55. Ouch Pricey.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
e55 Summary.pdf (89.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-28-05, 03:07 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

e55 hands down. drove my friends... just makes you speechless.

not used to so much torque. 1 thing though is i hate the seats wannabe bucket seats that don't fit to the contour of your body (and even worse on bigger people).
Old 04-28-05, 03:17 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Im going with the GS and keeping my GX

I just got through driving both back to back at the dealership and took a list of options of both cars and checked off each option with each other. Th GS blows away the E55 for electronic gadgets. The handling of both on the same sharp on and off ramp were unnoticeable by myself and my buddy. Acceleration was a no brainer but the GS had nice mid range torque on passing highway. Interior of the Mercedes was nice to look at but not as functional as the Lexus with the touch screen. My buddy made a good point. Even with all the power of the E55 how many times would I actually use it. In Las vegas its mostly stop and go traffic. So to race fast from one light to the next is pointless and then have to give up all the comfort features that Lexus has put in the new GS like the mood lighting is hard to pass up for 30k more. Another problem with the E55 is no storage for CDs or anything, there were two little drawers underneath the seats but they were tiny and one actually snapped off. The MB sales guy was embarrassed and said that would be no problem if I owned it.

I think after driving them both back to back the GS is the winner and appeals to my natural pratical side. MB E55 is definitely the best looking car in this luxury sport sedan category though. I was hoping the steering and handling of the MB would have been two times better then the GS but it is not and not worth 30k more. If it would have handled better I would have pulled the trigger on the E55 today.

I think owning the E55 for the first 6 months would make me smile everytime I drive it but by next year, I would start missing the Bluetooth, Nav functionality, Rear view camera, etc. Theres no doubt gives you an adrenline boost but like most bad drugs its short lived.

Now I got to wait for a GS with my specs to come in.

Thanks guys for your opinions but I have gone back to the light.

Last edited by Tony; 04-28-05 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 04:28 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your decision make me smile.. . Its mean a lot, because your decision is from the actual buyer who ready to drop $100K on the E55, but stick with the GS...
Old 04-28-05, 04:32 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great choice; you will not regret it. the new GS in the garage will put a big smile on your face too! what color did you request?
Old 04-28-05, 04:51 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony
Another problem with the E55 is no storage for CDs or anything, there were two little drawers underneath the seats but they were tiny and one actually snapped off. The MB sales guy was embarrassed and said that would be no problem if I owned it.
LMAO and I thought that would only happen to the "lowly" 2005 C230K my buddy took delivery of recently. He went to the MB dealership to pick up his brand spanking new car, only to find the cover of the armrest storage bin couldn't close. Took the technicians half an hour to fix it. I must admit, however, that your MB sales guy might have been technically correct because at the time the armrest cover had the problem my friend hadn't technically owned the car yet.
I think after driving them both back to back the GS is the winner and appeals to my natural pratical side. MB E55 is definitely the best looking car in this luxury sport sedan category though. I was hoping the steering and handling of the MB would have been two times better then the GS but it is not and not worth 30k more. If it would have handled better I would have pulled the trigger on the E55 today.

I think owning the E55 for the first 6 months would make me smile everytime I drive it but by next year, I would start missing the Bluetooth, Nav functionality, Rear view camera, etc. Theres no doubt gives you an adrenline boost but like most bad drugs its short lived.

Very sensible man. Kudos to your wise choice.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-28-05 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 05:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Wise choice & I think with the exception of the front end, the GS actually looks better than the E at other angles.
Old 04-28-05, 05:41 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Talking Good choice

Originally Posted by Tony
I just got through driving both back to back at the dealership and took a list of options of both cars and checked off each option with each other. Th GS blows away the E55 for electronic gadgets. The handling of both on the same sharp on and off ramp were unnoticeable by myself and my buddy. Acceleration was a no brainer but the GS had nice mid range torque on passing highway. Interior of the Mercedes was nice to look at but not as functional as the Lexus with the touch screen. My buddy made a good point. Even with all the power of the E55 how many times would I actually use it. In Las vegas its mostly stop and go traffic. So to race fast from one light to the next is pointless and then have to give up all the comfort features that Lexus has put in the new GS like the mood lighting is hard to pass up for 30k more. Another problem with the E55 is no storage for CDs or anything, there were two little drawers underneath the seats but they were tiny and one actually snapped off. The MB sales guy was embarrassed and said that would be no problem if I owned it.

Good choice. It shows that you aren't a superficial person and really are rational. By the way, that is a good choice in cars (Gx and GS[my choice also]). You realy will not be disappointed in the GS because... It is a Lexus. However, if you have the time why not wait for the GS hybrid? That might shoot up into a higher price range and offer better performance, gas milage, and exclusivity (like the MB)?

However, I have made the decission already that no matter what you really do you can't deny how great Lexus is. The only way I would go away from the name would be for something special (ie. Corvette) or to get a pickup if I needed it(Toyota).

Back to your decession. I think you might just get some more head turns in the Lexus than the MB since the GS really is so new and grabbing. I saw one for the first time today on the road and it really just sticks out and screams "I am here."

Did I mention good choice?
Old 04-28-05, 05:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yaro1
It shows that you aren't a superficial person and really are rational.
He didn't consider the MB for superficial reasons in the first place though. He was looking at the MB because of the fun factor (more power = more fun) that Lexus unfortunately doesn't provide on the same level.

Let's hope the performance division of Lexus is coming out soon enough so that such pains that Lexus lovers have to go through can end once and for all.
Old 04-28-05, 06:10 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove that beast and it is seriously the darkside, car pulls like a bat out of hell. I would get that over the GS in a heartbeat. Im also liking the 645ci.
Old 04-28-05, 10:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
just look at a GS430 dropped w/ 20's..... its to die for!
Is there a 3GS dropped w/ 20s on here? I've only seen a chopped picture.
Old 04-29-05, 03:14 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I believe you made the right choice. Not because I have such a history with Lexus, but because of the facts I pointed out above.

I did so much research on the E55 a year ago and I just couldn't justify spending (at the time I remember it being) 90k on a fully loaded E55 when most items come standard with a Lexus at 50-60k and more so, many things come with the GS that are absent in the MB. I was also attracted to the performance of the 55... especially after driving my mothers SL55. In the end, I went for the GS430 and I've not looked back.
Old 04-29-05, 09:33 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the E55 looks a lot better than the new GS... if i were to pick a car though i would go with the new M5 over the E55.... the E55 is one of the worst cars in terms of electrical problems... and BMW(although their designs are rather ugly) is getting much better in terms of their reliability. most of their cars made after 2003 are relatively reliable. mercedes is just going downhill... unless u have the cash and dont mind getting things fixed, dont get an E class...

Quick Reply: 2005 E55 or 2006 GS430?