GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2005 E55 or 2006 GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05 | 10:53 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Power and Handling was the main issue

Another big issue was the power and handling of the E55. I have owned a BMW330i and 540ia and know what good handling is. The E55 felt good but not BMW good, that is what made me wonder why just spend 30k on a monster motor if the handling is same or slightly better than the GS430. I tested both cars on this sharp 20 mph speed limit highway on ramp with some bumps, the ramp is very steep and long. I pushed both cars so hard, that both the ESP and GS saftey system lights came on to help slow the cars down. Both cars hit 45mph before the wheels started squeeling and saftey systems engaged. I seriously could not feel a difference between the two. I know with my two BMWs the wheels would start squeeking at 50 mph with very little body lean but the E55 leaned just as much as the GS. E55 also was hard to brake the electronic brake system had no feel. The car would surge forward then stop on a dime making you have whiplash. Throttle was the same. You would push down then split second later it would react sending you forward at lightspeed. Maybe I need more time to adjust to it.,

I tell you though the acceleration of the E55 makes you start breaking out in a sweat ,its that scary, very straight line stable at 120 mph. GS the Sales guys would only let me take it to 95mph but very stable also at straight line speeds. I seriously would have put money on the E55 if the handling was better.

I know I will always admire the E55 but like all the German cars I have owned, after a year I start regretting not having functional cup holders, nice nav, bluetooth, rear view cameras, cargo storage, etc. Driving the german cars are fun as hell though. Hope the GS can handle 3/4 as good as BMW if not equal.

I might wait for the GS hybrid but is it true if you drive with a lead foot like me that you should just buy the regular v8 instead? that is what the sales guy told me. He said the hybrid is not for racing.
Old 04-29-05 | 10:57 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

If money is no object, then it's E55.

If you have better use for the money, then it's the GS430.

Looks like you made a good decision. Congrats!
Old 04-29-05 | 03:09 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
He didn't consider the MB for superficial reasons in the first place though. He was looking at the MB because of the fun factor (more power = more fun) that Lexus unfortunately doesn't provide on the same level.

Let's hope the performance division of Lexus is coming out soon enough so that such pains that Lexus lovers have to go through can end once and for all.
Sorry for the confussion....
I meant superficial as in raw performance Vs. the whole package, not as in MB vs. Lex.

Sorry for the confusion
Old 04-29-05 | 05:15 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default AMG vs. Lexus

Up until the GS 3rd Generation Lexus didn't seem interested in competing for Tony's business. The enthusiast didn't look at Lexus often as an option either. The new GS is higher tech than the E55 but I give the Mercedes AMG much respect. The proof is in the test drive and the "lag" time in the Mercedes. The 2nd Gen GS VSC had lag and the traction control had lag. I drove a customer's SL55 and that is a beautiful machine yet it wasn't what i expected off the line...I think the sheetmetal and the coachwork of the Benz are just modern art. The simple GS lines have a sculpted look of their own that grows on you. The Mark Levinson sound system of the GS with DVD audio is outstanding. I think it is more contemporary. I would have picked the GS450h for Tony as the torque should be breathtaking. The fact that the GS430 can hang out with the AMG E55 means that Lexus has come of age and is graceful in its adolescence. I wish I could take the new GS for some high speed runs in Nevada. I would predict that it would remain calm at 125 MPH. It won't get out of shape with the VDIM either....Enjoy life!

Rock
Old 04-29-05 | 07:32 PM
LexFather

Wow, another GS owner Great reviews everyone.
Old 04-29-05 | 11:41 PM
Kyosuke86
Driver

I would go for the GS430 and use the rest of the money i was going to use on the E55 on some extras on the GS. For the amount you're paying for the E55 I would try to tweek the GS to have more performance than the E55 or at least make it even nicer by doing some interior tweeking and slamming on some nice rims. Think about it. either way it doesn't matter. its not our money so why should it matter to us. if you want it than thats your choice and no one should criticize you for it.
Old 04-29-05 | 11:53 PM
Dema
Pole Position

It looks like you like power, so buy E55. It won't be a mistake. In addition to power you will get complete ipod integration.
Old 05-02-05 | 09:18 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default I put my deposite down on GSHybrid

I put my money down on the GS Hybrid the Sales guy said dont expect it to come in for a while. The money I am saving will let me pay off the remainder of my GX470 so now I will have two cars for dual purposes since I like to bike, ski and scuba the GX will be good for sports and the GS will be a good daily driver with a little zipp in it to boot. My wife has a '04 Sienna XLE limited but it is not four wheel drive so going on ski trips in that is not good.

Yeah the E55 is to drool for, but practicality is more important to me. I will still look at any E55 with lust on the street but I would rather have an SUV and a Hybrid sedan with the same cost as one E55. Money was not an issue but in the end my brain took over and did the right thing.

Thanks guys for helping me make my decision. I will haunt the GS forums till my hybrid comes in but will mostly hang out at the GX forums.
Old 05-02-05 | 09:55 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony
I put my money down on the GS Hybrid the Sales guy said dont expect it to come in for a while. The money I am saving will let me pay off the remainder of my GX470 so now I will have two cars for dual purposes since I like to bike, ski and scuba the GX will be good for sports and the GS will be a good daily driver with a little zipp in it to boot. My wife has a '04 Sienna XLE limited but it is not four wheel drive so going on ski trips in that is not good.

Yeah the E55 is to drool for, but practicality is more important to me. I will still look at any E55 with lust on the street but I would rather have an SUV and a Hybrid sedan with the same cost as one E55. Money was not an issue but in the end my brain took over and did the right thing.

Thanks guys for helping me make my decision. I will haunt the GS forums till my hybrid comes in but will mostly hang out at the GX forums.
I think that is a great decision. The GS Hybrid will offer all of the great technology in the GS, plus the Hybrid advantage. Additional torque. The GS Hybrid might in fact give the E55 a run for it's money during certain passing speeds.
Old 05-03-05 | 02:06 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

E55 all the way!
Old 05-03-05 | 03:10 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
wow! nice problem to have. i'd go for the E55 for sure if i had absolutely no use for the money. but like yaro, i can't bring myself to spend 90k (yes, it's 90 once you add the same options the GS has) on that car. i don't think i'd love it $30-$35k "more" than the GS... i'd rather spend that money on something else, like an amazing vacation (or 2, or 3 or 4!)
In that sense you can make the same argument why you are paying $60k for 300 HP GS, when a $30k 280HP avalon would do just fine.

Given the fact that GS is not really a true sports sedan.

As an E55 owner, E55 is very different car as compare to GS430 (although not much different from E500, except the insane power).

For 100k (yes 100k with options- as everything you can think of is optional not standard- including the Xeon is optional).

As far as GS450H can out perform E55 in certain speed is by far the biggest joke. E55 is known for its insane torque at low end. In fact through out the power band, GS450H/GS430 has no shot what so ever. E55 regularly run sub 12 second in the quarters.

GS430 will not be able to hang with E55, unless both are parked.

E55 is not really a fun car to drive around, because it is heavy, steering is artificial. But straight line power is pretty un-matched in a 4 door. Plus the tuning potential of E55 is much better than GS430. With simple pulley upgrade, ECU software change, and header you are looking at 600HP at wheels.

Had GS300 retain the in-line 6 dated from supra. You can make argument that GS300 has great tuning potential. But last time I check, its a aluminum V6.
Old 05-03-05 | 03:24 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
I MUST SAY THAT CAR HAS SOME KILLER LOOKS AND LINES

Well don't forget get about the service at MB and also who makes MB CHRYSLER But it's your money and spend it the way you want I know were all here just to help you decide in your decision but the service at Lexus surpass any body's in the car business from my experience of dealerships. I would say if your leaning towards the MB get then if your not happy with it you can always trade it in on the Lexus GS 430
I will disagree with this one. MB service is quiet good, in fact better than Lexus in some aspect.

Yes, my lexus dealer opens 24 hours a day 7 day a week. And give free loaners. But when time comes to warranty issues they will 1st try to to put blame the customer for it.

My MB dealer does not open 24 hours a day nor 7 day a week. But it does provide free loaner cars. Most importantly they seems to be more apologetic when something goes wrong with their product (which is very frequently in my case). Their service advisor are much more friendly and never look to pass the blame off.

My wife' CLK stop light disintegrated while driving. The MB dealer did not even question on how it happened, simply took at look at the light and apologized and sent me on my way.

Through out the process the dealer and MBUSA contacted me via phone and asked to help. It makes me feel that they really do care about the issues that I have. With lexus is just seems a little too cold and not as caring.

For example, after my wife's CLK transmission and tail light was replaced. MBUSA called me the following day and ask how my service went. I made a casual response that the service was excellent but the quality of their car is pathetic. The customer service agne immediately begin to apologize for like 5 minutes or so and logged my complaints so in future i could proceed with lemon law if needed. Very very nice touch.

Every 2 months or so, the MB dealer would call to simply check on how the car is running. I never received such a call when I had lexus. Granted my lexus were trouble free and really does not need any unexpected visit to the dealer. But I think following up with customer is a good away to generating new business.
Old 05-03-05 | 03:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Someone seems to know a lot about the GS450h whose specs. isn't even out yet & won't be out for another year Those hybrid motors have an insane amount of instantaneous torque . . .
Old 05-03-05 | 04:11 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

chiawei, maybe you get that kind of service at MB because you have an E55? at least where i live, unless you have a 600 or 55, you won't get much service. in fact, one of the local mb dealerships gives out corollas for loaners and charges $10 for unlimited gas (woohoo!).

i think there is something for applauding the underdog. i think over the years lexus has come to recognize it's #1 in customer service, but lately i think they might be getting a little complacent. kudos for mb and bmw for trying hard; the more this happens, the more lexus will stay on its toes.
Old 05-03-05 | 04:28 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Someone seems to know a lot about the GS450h whose specs. isn't even out yet & won't be out for another year Those hybrid motors have an insane amount of instantaneous torque . . .
GS450H uses the 3.5V6 from the new IS/Avalon. Plus electric motor. I don't think it will come close to over 500 lb-ft offered by the E55.

Instaneous torque? E55 peak torque arrives at 2650 RPM. You really think that GS450H will produce 516 lb-ft of torque at a mere 2650 RPM?

Take a look at all toyota electric motor, and see if anything would come close to that. The 3.5 V6 although geared for low range torque. Combine with electrical motor, you will not get over 500LB-ft at mere 2650 RPM. Simple as that.

GS450H is not designed to be AMG/M killer. It simply will allow it to perform slightly better than 4.3 V8 whild deliver fuel economy of V6.

Quick Reply: 2005 E55 or 2006 GS430?