GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thanks for opinions- I bought a M35x

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 08:13 PM
zub3qin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for opinions- I bought a M35x

Just wanted to thank everyone here for all their help and opinions on the GS300 AWD.

I started out a few months ago wondering what I could replace my BMW 3series with. I never considered any Japanese car companies-- I finally looked at the GS300 AWD after reading about it-- saw it at the car show and came to this forum. Got lots of good advice.

I test drove it 3 times, and I just couldn't get into the different way the car feels and drives, vs what I was used to with the BMW. The tech stuff and interior was great however.

I then looked at the new M35x after reading the multiple car-shootouts and reviews giving it top marks-- despite the fact that I never ever considered Infiniti. The drive hooked me- and there were some other features I liked more than on comparable MB, BMW, and Lexus.

So I pick it up in 2 days. I made the right decision for me-- it really is a great great car. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

To all who got/are getting the GS-- best of luck. And to all that are still undecided-- look at the M35x also-- you may like it better!
Old 04-28-05, 09:03 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Hey Congrats on your new M35x. Very fun to drive car.

I have test driven the M35x and GS300 awd about 3 times each.

The M35x drives similar to my 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe. Sporty, tight handling. I love it. Interior looks like a boeing cockpit. Very cool.

The GS300 awd...is for discerning tastes...very plush, pampered ride. Some even say electronically numbed or dampened.

I don't think the two cars, while similarly priced, were intentioned for the same target audience.

I never care much for magazine reviews because those can be manipulated by car manufacturers just as pharmacies push Vioxx as good for the heart while having knowledge it's not, and dirty politicians rig polls and steal elections and crooked corporations inflate stock prices before going bust. LOL. I stick to car forums to read real world reviews by the owners.

I chose the GS300 awd because it has a few more electronic gadgets up its sleeve ( power fold-in outside mirrors and trunk ). I never liked the GS300 awd at first. After staring at both the cars for a few weeks, I got tired of the M35x appearance and the GS300awd grew on me in a very good classy way.

Anyway, Congrats once again on you M35x purchase. What color combo/ package did you get? Also what kind of deal did they give you? When I was shopping the most Infiniti budged was 1000 off sticker.

Last edited by BlkBuzzard; 04-28-05 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 09:32 PM
zub3qin
Driver School Candidate

Got Diamond Graphite exterior/ black and rosewood interior.

They are still not discounting more than $1000 off MSRP.

One (small) thing I liked more about the M35x was the much better voice recognition, MP3/WMA playback on the in dash cds, and the Audio/Video input so I can plug in my mp3 player. The lane departure warning system is snazzy but useless, I think.

One bigger thing I liked more was the 100%RWD drive unless a wheel slips, then it goes up to 50/50 with every thing in between. The GS was AWD all the time.

One thing I liked more about the Lexus was the dash.... I absolutely hated the M35 dash when I first saw it-- but when I saw it in the right color combo (black interior) it looked much better. Still not as clean as the Lexus, but I am no longer repulsed by it...
Old 04-29-05, 06:36 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats man I hope you enjoy the M35x, how does the lane departure thing work?Can you shut it off?
Old 04-29-05, 07:14 AM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Congrats man I hope you enjoy the M35x, how does the lane departure thing work?Can you shut it off?

Lane departure works by letting out an audible beep or tone when steering wheel is turned (changing lanes or turning corners) without signaling. Yes, it can be shut off.
Old 04-29-05, 07:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Hmm . . . I' ve never even tested this lane-departure feature on my M45 test drive, I was concentrated mainly on how fast it accelerate
Old 04-29-05, 07:52 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also looked at the infiniti m series when i was debating what to purchase next. I was also looking at the ACURA RL. M exterior is superb...the interior however was a total turnoff for me. I decided to go with the new GS.

Congrats on your new baby!
Old 04-29-05, 10:17 PM
zub3qin
Driver School Candidate

Lane departure can be shut off. It is not activated by turning your wheel without signaling. It is much more sophisticated.

It actually has cameras hidden in front of the car, and somehow it picks out the lane markers. If you are about to cross the painted lane marker without signaling, it beeps. It only does this when you are going more than 45 MPH (so it doesn't affect those of us that change lanes on local roads without always signaling). They claim that a massive number of accidents occur because of people switching lanes without signaling, people falling asleep and drifting across lanes-- so supposedly this will help prevent that.

I think the real reason this is on the car is the following. There is laser cruise control so the car will keep a preset distance from the car in front of it-- the car in front speeds up, you speed up, it slows down, you slow down. You also have the lane departure warning system to keep you in your lane.
It is not a big leap to see Infiniti combining the 2 together somewhere in the future-- and you will have a car that drives itself. The lane detection system will sync with steering and the car can drive itself. Maybe? Maybe not...
Old 05-03-05, 01:54 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Good choice