GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

June Road & Track Comparo: 1) M45, 2) 545i, 3) GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 11:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tmds
It's the Sport trim that adds the 19" wheels and there is both an M35 Sport and M45 Sport. I suppose he was a poseur in the same way a GS300 driver is.
Makes much more sense.

I'd rather have the real deal top of the line M45 Sport just like I would rather have a real M5 over a 540i Sport Package.
Old 05-11-05, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogun
OK ,so the moan was that the 3GS was not winning top honors in the mags and it was further stated that the mags were biased...

It was also stated that Lexus appeals to a different, and more mainstream, buyer than does the M45, BMW545, etc. I think it's safe to say that this type of "buyer" is better represented by the authors/editors of Consumer Reports, Consumer Digest, etc. than those from C/D, R/T. Motor Trend, Automobile, etc.

I suspect Lexus will continue to take top honors in the more mainstream magazines but the 3GS lost its footing on the performance ladder.

The 2GS and 3GS target(ed) different markets. Heck, if the magzines are not driving that point home then simply review the drastically different marketing launch strategies between the two models.

2GS - Something wicked... Fastest Automatic Sedan in the world...

3GS - Unleash the exhilarating power...

Stepping off my box of soap now...

Eric
Good points. I think Lexus continues to be conflicted about promoting excitement or performance or even emotion. They did those fabulous commercials a year or so ago with the SC430 and LS430 I think, talking about a lifestyle of luxury, with (shock) PEOPLE in the ads. I liked them a lot. They did that GS commercial where the guy shows up late looking like a wreck to meet his date because he was out driving his GS. Now they seem to have gone back to just car features again (dimpled undersides - zzzzzzzz). Granted I'm watching very little TV right now so I could be missing some good ones.

But I think Lexus really wants to draw from a less enthusiast mainstream crowd upward, rather than an enthusiast crowd 'downward' (like BMW does) if that makes sense. To put it another way, let's face it, Lexus sells a ton of RX330s, ES330s, and LS430s. That's their sweet spot. None of those are exactly exciting. BMW sells a ton of 3 series - a car known to be a lot of fun to drive in any model - that's their sweet spot.
Old 05-11-05, 10:33 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Good points. I think Lexus continues to be conflicted about promoting excitement or performance or even emotion. They did those fabulous commercials a year or so ago with the SC430 and LS430 I think, talking about a lifestyle of luxury, with (shock) PEOPLE in the ads. I liked them a lot. They did that GS commercial where the guy shows up late looking like a wreck to meet his date because he was out driving his GS. Now they seem to have gone back to just car features again (dimpled undersides - zzzzzzzz). Granted I'm watching very little TV right now so I could be missing some good ones.

But I think Lexus really wants to draw from a less enthusiast mainstream crowd upward, rather than an enthusiast crowd 'downward' (like BMW does) if that makes sense. To put it another way, let's face it, Lexus sells a ton of RX330s, ES330s, and LS430s. That's their sweet spot. None of those are exactly exciting. BMW sells a ton of 3 series - a car known to be a lot of fun to drive in any model - that's their sweet spot.
I think you're on to something.
Old 05-11-05, 06:41 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I totally agree
Old 05-11-05, 10:28 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

That was a good article. All the cars really are quite good, if somewhat disconnected from the road and/or ugly.
Old 05-13-05, 01:47 PM
dmz
Rookie

Lexus clearly does not have any product to offer for the performance crowd. They basically threw in the towel when they carried over the V8 engine in the new GS. They are more focused in the mainstream buyer. The problem is that the market segment that the GS is in, is becoming cowded and competitive. Heck, even the 5 series (which had a upgraded engine when it debuted in '04) is upgrading to a bigger and more powerful engine for '06.
Old 05-13-05, 04:40 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmz
Lexus clearly does not have any product to offer for the performance crowd. They basically threw in the towel when they carried over the V8 engine in the new GS. They are more focused in the mainstream buyer. The problem is that the market segment that the GS is in, is becoming cowded and competitive. Heck, even the 5 series (which had a upgraded engine when it debuted in '04) is upgrading to a bigger and more powerful engine for '06.
And if you keep up with Lexus you'll know that bigger V8 and V6 engines are approx. 16 months away. As it stands now, Lexus sales don't seem to be suffering. Hardcore enthusiasts make up a very small portion of new car buyers. I don't see how Lexus has "thrown in the towel". Lexus isn't going to rush new engines to market to satisfy a few enthusiasts. Such a move would likely cannibalize LS430 sales and may also have a negative effect on reliability.

Last edited by jwaters; 05-13-05 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dmz
Well your right, its even more competative and the GS is meeting sales expectations with a higher asking price which says a lot about the car.

The fact is the vast majority of cars are not sporty, most BMWs sold ARE NOT sport models, the market is small. I agree Lexus for the most part has avoided the market. But the AFTERMAKET has not, as Lexus can be modded with the best of them.

Lexus is more concerned with "harmony" and the total package, that is what Lexus is about. For those that want more sport, you can choose competitors cars.