GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

wifey & i looked at"my"gs300 dissappoint

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 04:37 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're all entitled to our opinions and I'm not one for bashing others because of theirs. With that said, I don't see how anyone could say the 3rd generation GS interior is of lower quality than the second generation. Maybe you could argue about aesthetics, but quality and craftsmanship (i.e. attention to detail) is noticably better.

The '06 GS has the following:

-Beautiful, machine-finished gauges
-L.E.D. ambient lighting
-Plush and soft leather
-Seamless passenger airbag cover
-Low-sheen, soft touch plastics throughout
-Fairly abundant use of wood trim
-Very narrow and even panel gaps
...etc.

All of these areas seem to be a improved over the previous GS. Things like carpeting and headliner fabric seem about the same in terms of quality from my experience.
Old 05-13-05, 06:02 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

If you didn't want the ticking sound, you should have just got the GS430... no ticking here.

... or wait... is that ticking the time bomb I left in the backseat
Old 05-13-05, 07:50 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Default not to beat dead horse BUT

Originally Posted by jwaters
We're all entitled to our opinions and I'm not one for bashing others because of theirs. With that said, I don't see how anyone could say the 3rd generation GS interior is of lower quality than the second generation. Maybe you could argue about aesthetics, but quality and craftsmanship (i.e. attention to detail) is noticably better.

The '06 GS has the following:

-Beautiful, machine-finished gauges
-L.E.D. ambient lighting
-Plush and soft leather
-Seamless passenger airbag cover
-Low-sheen, soft touch plastics throughout
-Fairly abundant use of wood trim
-Very narrow and even panel gaps
...etc.

All of these areas seem to be a improved over the previous GS. Things like carpeting and headliner fabric seem about the same in terms of quality from my experience.
Wife and I just returned in her 03 es300, much better finish in it than 06 gs. Wood on dash. not cheqp looking plastic door panels are padded. Much richer feel.
Old 05-13-05, 08:28 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own second gen and I think the new 06 interior is for the most part nicer . I think blackwood looks too fake though. I like the center armrest more in 3rd gen. I still think the opitron gauges would have looked better in the new GS.
this does look nice
Old 05-14-05, 10:06 AM
jyg es3
Driver

Default up date lexus to instruct dealer re condensation

salesman told me Monday Lexus will tell me what they are going to do about condensation in lights
I told him, you do what you want I do not want the car. I'm not buying a new car, with a problem already on delivery. He said he would call me Monday anway. Well off to see a m45 sport.
Old 05-14-05, 10:52 AM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by jyg es3
salesman told me Monday Lexus will tell me what they are going to do about condensation in lights
I told him, you do what you want I do not want the car. I'm not buying a new car, with a problem already on delivery. He said he would call me Monday anway. Well off to see a m45 sport.

LOL. M45 is hotttt...but ugly from the rear. Great drive though. Infiniti's not budging well for hagglers like me. Keep us posted on what kind of deal you get served.

Yeah, condensation IS a problem. It's NOT normal no matter what they say. I have had quite a few POS junk cars and they never had condensation. I will most likely still buy the GS300 awd though or maybe change my mind and wait for the new IS350.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by BlkBuzzard; 05-14-05 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-14-05, 02:56 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Default agree with you with styling BUT (no butt)

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard
LOL. M45 is hotttt...but ugly from the rear. Great drive though. Infiniti's not budging well for hagglers like me. Keep us posted on what kind of deal you get served.

Yeah, condensation IS a problem. It's NOT normal no matter what they say. I have had quite a few POS junk cars and they never had condensation. I will most likely still buy the GS300 awd though or maybe change my mind and wait for the new IS350.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
M45 is a monster. fast. great handling. a real drivers car. Something gs430 is not (flame suit is on)
Old 05-14-05, 03:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

M45 is a monster. fast. great handling. a real drivers car. Something gs430 is not (flame suit is on)
good riddance.

p.s. Not only GS has better quality interior than M, it is MUCH, MUCH quieter than M (was it around 12db at idle?)... So, your complaints are really........
Old 05-14-05, 04:15 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
good riddance.

p.s. Not only GS has better quality interior than M, it is MUCH, MUCH quieter than M (was it around 12db at idle?)... So, your complaints are really........
Complaints or not , that is how he feels. You cannot force someone to like the GS..

jyg es3, if the different issues (condensation, interior feel, ...) will deter you from enjoying the GS, then definitely don't get it. There is no point in spending that much money only to have peeves that will bug you for the duration of ownership.

Get the M and enjoy it. If it fits your needs and expectations more, it is the better car for you.
Old 05-14-05, 04:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 05-14-05, 06:13 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Complaints or not , that is how he feels. You cannot force someone to like the GS..

jyg es3, if the different issues (condensation, interior feel, ...) will deter you from enjoying the GS, then definitely don't get it. There is no point in spending that much money only to have peeves that will bug you for the duration of ownership.

Get the M and enjoy it. If it fits your needs and expectations more, it is the better car for you.
Well said Neo.
Old 05-14-05, 08:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

As for the GS interiors I am in the market for a 01-02 GS and after sitting in the new one I would say the new one is nicer with higher quality materials. The plastic around the dash feels and looks to be of higher quality in the 3rd generation GS. I felt my moms 2000 TL interior has higher quality materials around the dash then the 2nd gen GS and the buttons and **** had a higher quality feel in both the TL and 3rd generation GS. As for the condensation around the headlights of the new GS that is unacceptable especially when it was an issue with the second generation GS. I do not think people should just be like it is not that big of a deal because it is an expensive problem to fix and it should have been taken care of in the second generation especially from a company like Lexus that prides itself in high quality and reliability. If you are considering an M45 just be warned that it is a great performer but it gets pretty poor gas mileage. You may want to check out the new RL if you want to stick with reliability and high quality. They are more willing to deal at Acura now since their is some good competition out now with the new GS and M and the RL is a great car. Sorry you were disappointed with the Lexus but I can understand being irritated by the condensation thing on an expensive luxury car selling at top price.
Old 05-14-05, 08:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Default not again-headlight prob is surprising for 3rd gen

I would freak if my 06 GS had condensation in lights. even getting them replaced for free, just the thought of your brand new car being taken apart and worked on & having the chance of the techs(some much better than others) messing up something. not cool.

Last edited by chuckb; 05-14-05 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 08:41 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Having test driven the M and the GS430 (as most of us have), it's a no-brainer on performance. The M is purely the driver's car, stock vs. stock. The M feels even sportier than some BMWs.

BUT, the rear end is just too unattractive to me. And even though the interior is feature-laden, the layout is simply not my style. It doesn't feel like I'm in a cockpit like in the GS.

The GS is looking better and better every time I see it, the interior is very nice to my eyes and to my hineparts (a little more plastic than I would prefer though for $60k car). And it's so damn quiet. Is it too quiet? I don't know. But I like it quiet. LOL I loved it.

And even though it rolls, it hangs on pretty well, just like the 2nd generation.

Overall, I wouldn't pay $60k for the GS or the M, but I'd pay about $30k for it in 3 years like I did my current GS. That leaves a lot of money for mods.

For $60k, I need a more powerful engine than the 4.3 liter. And I want a sport model.

I'll take the new IS350 for $35k, and then spend $20k on mods before I bought a new GS. That extra size and room is really not needed for me, I don't have rear seat occupants THAT often.

But that's just me.
Old 05-15-05, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Yes, it has a manual like a true drivers car right? And from your post, I am assuming your going to take it immediately to the track or go to your local kiddie hang out and race Civics to make yourself feel better.

Sigh, people read a couple magazine reviews and swear they are the bible to follow about cars....

I agree the GS is less involving with sport. The GS is the total car, the total package. This also goes to BMW, I DO NOT understand how you can make a car that DRIVES very sporty (M/5) yet the interior is not driver oriented. It kills the harmony of the package. That is what made, IMO the older BMWs so incredible. They drove sporty and had sporty cockpits and a nice intimate size, you felt like part of the car.

I love the 2GS but IMO, the 3GS interior is an improvement in all aspects.
Here is probably your best comparison of pics of 2GS to 3GS. I seem to be an expert in the matter

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=3gs

Quick Reply: wifey & i looked at"my"gs300 dissappoint