GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

wifey & i looked at"my"gs300 dissappoint

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 09:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
man-have you driven or seen an 06 430? these two are definately not a problem.

GS430 has 13 inch front brakes and they are very responsive
I don't think you can satisfy that person. Even if you gave him a Ferarri Enzo, i'm sure he'd have something to gripe about.
Old 05-19-05, 09:40 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

man-have you driven or seen an 06 430? these two are definately not a problem.

GS430 has 13 inch front brakes and they are very responsive
You are joking right.

1. GS430 brake is a little grabby. Although not as bad as W211 SBC. (this has been commented by quiet a few review as well as poster on this forum).

2. 13" so what. Are we basing a car's performance by reading the size of front brake. The M45 has only a 12.1" front brake. It had the best braking performance in the C&D test. The 545i has 13.7" front also did better than GS430.

In fact GS430 brake performance was below average for this group.

Simple as that.
Old 05-19-05, 09:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 619brick
This review was found yesterday as I was researching the BMW 540, after certain people spent so much time drooling over it. You think we don't do our homework???? This is a must read for anyone even considering purchasing a "driver's car". Actually, quite the opposite. It doesn't appear that this Beemer owner is "driving" his car much at all!

HIS REVIEW

Tremendous sport sedan with some annoying glitches
by Marc from San Francisco, CA (1/19/05)

32 out of 34 people found this review helpful
Pros: Gorgeous styling, tremendous power, benchmark-setting luxury
Cons: Seemingly poor computer and electronic components

The 2005 545i is my first BMW, having defected from the Mercedes Benz camp.

I ordered my car with the Sport Package, Premium Sound Package, Winter Package, and a few other options. I am happy to say that I have no regrets in my choice to change automakers. This BMW is the epitome of luxury, comfort, and performance.

The leather sport seats are sumptuous and supportive. The wood dash is beautiful and stylish. The sound system is alone nearly worth the price of admission.

The baritone notes that emit from the engine compartment when I place the pedal to the proverbial metal are nothing short of classical. This car handles and performs like a bona fide sports sedan. It does no more and no less than exactly what the driver tells it to do.

The only objection I have so far is that the computer and electrical systems have not been perfected. 700 miles into the driving experience and my car can’t make it out of my driveway. The reason is that a software malfunction caused too much fuel to be injected into the engine, resulting in flooding. Imagine, not even one month after I triumphantly brought my prize home and I have to have it towed to the local BMW dealer. Not cool at all!

Now, barely 1000 miles old and I have to take it in because the “Service Engine” light is on. I just hope that this is not going to be a continuing trend. I would rather spend more time driving my car than talking about it with my service rep.

Did this guy really say he "has no regrets with his decision to change automakers?"
Wrong answer, try again. I'm sure the neighbors really laugh it up when they see that tow truck pull up to his house, and tow away a month old $ 60,000 dollar car. CLASSIC!
It doesn't matter, there will always be some rich pompous spoiled brats who don't appreciate the value of money with multiple cars in their garage as toys that will say " who cares, if this one is in the shop, I still have many others to play with ".
Old 05-19-05, 09:52 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I don't think you can satisfy that person. Even if you gave him a Ferarri Enzo, i'm sure he'd have something to gripe about.
Originally Posted by chiawei
You are joking right.

1. GS430 brake is a little grabby. Although not as bad as W211 SBC. (this has been commented by quiet a few review as well as poster on this forum).

2. 13" so what. Are we basing a car's performance by reading the size of front brake. The M45 has only a 12.1" front brake. It had the best braking performance in the C&D test. The 545i has 13.7" front also did better than GS430.

In fact GS430 brake performance was below average for this group.

Simple as that.
I see what you mean Flip
Old 05-19-05, 09:57 AM
longjohn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 619brick
It doesn't appear that this Beemer owner is "driving" his car much at all!
Yup, saw a new-ish looking 3 series being loaded up on the tow truck yesterday. I just shook my head and smiled as I cruised on by in my GS300.

As beautiful as those BMWs are (I even admire the new designs), and as exciting as they may be to drive, who wants all the hassle of having it in the shop all the time? Not me.

They may be turning things around though. BMW jumped from 11th to 3rd in the latest J.D. Powers new-car quality rankings. Of course, new-car quality and long-term quality are 2 different things.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...aq2Hm4,00.html
Old 05-19-05, 10:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
It doesn't matter, there will always be some rich pompous spoiled brats who don't appreciate the value of money with multiple cars in their garage as toys that will say " who cares, if this one is in the shop, I still have many others to play with ".
haha I agree...or you have others that like to brag and complain...for example:

"I would have bought another BMW had the M5 been delayed. Since I am getting my M5 in november this year, I saw no need to pick up a 545i for daily beater."

That's just too bad isn't it?
Old 05-19-05, 01:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Man flip, you are passionately pursuing kissing Lexus butt. Lexus makes great vehicles - we all know that. But it seems to you they can do absolutely no wrong and can't be improved and they're better in every way than the competition. And you like to make condescending or snide remarks about anyone who dares to even question the holy Lexus grail.

I'm saying this as a huge Lexus fan! I've bought TWO and still have and love my GS400! I've never owned a BMW, Mercedes, or Infiniti and currently have NO plans to buy one!

But it seems you and some others don't want to allow ANY discussion of what might make a Lexus more perfect for more people or anything the competition might do better. There isn't a one size fits all.

It's easy to take shots at the competition not being quite as reliable ON AVERAGE as a Lexus, but that doesn't mean that everyone has problems. I know many people who have very reliable BMWs perhaps after a glitch or two at one point. Hey, I've had glitches with my Lexus too. My Ford truck has had less problems than either of my Lexus but I'm not saying Ford is better, that would be dumb.

I think you and others should lighten up because debate should be allowed. Yes this is a Lexus forum but if it turns into only a 'true believers, no dissent allowed' forum, then I'm outa here.
Old 05-19-05, 02:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Man flip, you are passionately pursuing kissing Lexus butt. Lexus makes great vehicles - we all know that. But it seems to you they can do absolutely no wrong and can't be improved and they're better in every way than the competition. And you like to make condescending or snide remarks about anyone who dares to even question the holy Lexus grail.

I'm saying this as a huge Lexus fan! I've bought TWO and still have and love my GS400! I've never owned a BMW, Mercedes, or Infiniti and currently have NO plans to buy one!

But it seems you and some others don't want to allow ANY discussion of what might make a Lexus more perfect for more people or anything the competition might do better. There isn't a one size fits all.

It's easy to take shots at the competition not being quite as reliable ON AVERAGE as a Lexus, but that doesn't mean that everyone has problems. I know many people who have very reliable BMWs perhaps after a glitch or two at one point. Hey, I've had glitches with my Lexus too. My Ford truck has had less problems than either of my Lexus but I'm not saying Ford is better, that would be dumb.

I think you and others should lighten up because debate should be allowed. Yes this is a Lexus forum but if it turns into only a 'true believers, no dissent allowed' forum, then I'm outa here.
I agree everything is subjective, and no car is perfect, even Lexus. but how anyone who has driven an 06 GS430 can complain about the strength and response of those brakes is beyond me. I actually thought they were almost too strong
Old 05-19-05, 02:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nicely stated, Bit. I fully agree with the sentiment.
Old 05-19-05, 02:46 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

completely concur, bit. i have watched from the sidelines in this and many other debates concerning the new GS. some of you suffer from extreme "homerism". thats just the fact. now i dont agree that you should keep quiet when some know-nothing comes here trying to flame, but it seems that you guys are turning on your own. most of us are disappointed in the fact that the 3GS whiffed at the chance to up the ante in terms of performance. obviously lexus knows their target demo. and believe it or not, thats more than likely not us. to bring up the point that it can be modded and people have already started doing so means nothing. this isnt a scion tC.

in 98, the GS4 was a total car for the period. at the time it offered world beating performance, luxury, etc. fast forward to now, and its not the same trendsetter. for them to carry over the same engine from the previous generation was baffling to me. no one is saying that they have to compete with the AMGs or ///Ms of the market, but at least be comparable to the 545 and M45. i mean they didnt do anything to the engine besides drop it in. and before anyone says that its not all about 0-60 times, most of you are the same ones trumpeting it being the fastest production four door on the planet 7 yrs ago. i love lexus and miss my GS400 dearly. but to chide and barbeque everyone who expected the new GS to be the world-beater that the previous was and are now disappointed is myopic. a sport version could do the trick, but i just dont think thats gonna happen. but until then, we lexus fans have to understand that there are better overall cars than the GS........

Doc
Old 05-19-05, 03:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys I agree 100% that we need to make sure there is an open and honest discussion of pros / cons etc. Lexus cars have issues and problems just like any other... I can name the few that my first year 98 GS has on one hand, and none of them would have kept me from buying the car. They might have put someone else off though, and that's OK with me

I've made several pleas in this forum for people to be open minded to the perceptions of others just like other sub forums on CL. One size does not fit all and we need to build up a useful knowledgebase for the 3GS owners that isn't purely just magazine comparo discussions.

Somebody doesn't like a 3GS and buys something else, let's wish then well, not try to talk them out of it, lol . There are LOTS of awesome cars in this price range and I ask everyone to have an open mind about other brands and makes that may suit someone else better.

Originally Posted by DrRick
but until then, we lexus fans have to understand that there are better overall cars than the GS........
I'd also ask folks who prefer those other cars to be considerate of our members here who think the 3GS is absolutely the 'best overall' car for them. Statements like the above can sometimes be read as inflammatory, even though I know its just Dr Rick's personal opinion and he didn't mean it as such. This IS a Lexus forum and our members are Lexus enthusiasts.

Keep it friendly and informative please.
Old 05-19-05, 03:59 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for providing some much needed perspective. I think sometimes we all just need to take a step back and just relax before we submit our posts/replies. (On a side note, I love your Darth Tater)

On a side note, I absolutely agree that any person paying this much money for a vehicle should get the car that they like best. They should also feel free to share with the group what car they decided on without fear of being berated. I myself came very close to getting the M45. I just feel that certain people derive a little too much pleasure from ripping on the new GS. In particular, some 2nd generation GS owners are beginning to sound like a broken record. If you don't like the GS, that's fine, but why rain on everyone else's parade? I remember the same thing happened over on the Acura boards about 18 months ago between the 2nd and 3rd generation TL owners. It may just be my limited experience here, but it's too bad there isn't more comaradarie among Lexus owners. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by jwaters; 05-19-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 04:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree everything is subjective, and no car is perfect, even Lexus. but how anyone who has driven an 06 GS430 can complain about the strength and response of those brakes is beyond me. I actually thought they were almost too strong
thats because there are quite few trolls around that love to do nothing else but bash on GS. Its called magazine racing - they point out bad things from the mags and ignore the good. I love GS430 being "slow" comments, when in most mag measurments it is of by 0.1-0.2 secs from M45 Sport's, or VDIM being pain while in most mags cornering was better than M45 or very close.

In fact, I think it is hilarious.

It is also Lexus's fault. They should have provided some "Sports" pack, where they can make quick buck plus provide slightly bigger and more aggressive rubber, lower suspension so mag racers get what they wish. It is not as if mags rate cars on refinement or comfort :-).