GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Infiniti M-series a possible contender?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 09:26 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPride
Lexus is different things to different people, I mean, to car enthusiasts the cars lack soul. Lexus is number one in luxury sales but one of the largest markets they swallowed was the 45-70 year-old Cadillac/Lincoln buyers, not necessarily BMW and MB. Look at Toyota, they compete with Honda, yet they have like 9 more models in their lineup, but yet Honda is near the top for sales/quality/satisfaction awards in every category it competes, which is only a handful. I find it funny when I see people post here after specs are released for a new model, knowing deep down they're probably hoping that the HP numbers will finally be on par or better than the competition, but when they're not, they're the first ones defending Lexus about being more than HP numbers, not getting into HP wars, luxury not sport, blah, blah, blah...Yet, when the IS350 is announced, all of a sudden the argument changes, BMW getting its *** kicked, bye bye G35, look out AMG. Then its leaking headlights, but don't complain, other companies are much worse...really? Because last I checked, Lexus wasn't blowing away everyone, actually Infiniti and Acura are right behind, heck even Cadillac. Let's remember something people, the RX makes up a very large chunk of sales, an SUV of all things!! Followed by the ES, an ENTRY LEVEL luxury car! I bought my loaded 2001 GS300 with less than 4k miles on it for $30k, still smelled new. Now that same car will cost me an extra $18k after the same depreciation, and only 20 more HP. I never thought I'd pay over $50k for a GS3, but that's only because BMW and MB are so overpriced, so now Lexus isn't that great a value.
Good points. Lexus is the #1 selling luxury make in the U.S., and the RX and ES make up 60% of those sales. Although this is a Lexus board, so I'd naturally expect comments in general to be skewed to favor Lexus.

You go to a Infiniti forum, and comments will generally be something like: "The M has awesome performance, and more than enough luxury for the average buyer. The GS is too underpowered and is not fun to drive."

At a Lexus forum: "The GS has awesome luxury and refinement, and more than enough sport for the average buyer. The M is too unrefined and is basically a Nissan."

In this $50k class, the name prestige counts for a lot. Infiniti really doesn't have much of it. I'm surprised it has done as well as it has.
Old 05-17-05, 07:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
In this $50k class, the name prestige counts for a lot. Infiniti really doesn't have much of it. I'm surprised it has done as well as it has.
Actually, I'm not surprised at all that the new M35/45 is now selling 2K+ a month, if the FX35/45 can sell 2K per month with it's very limited cargo & passenger space for a SUV of it's size, & doesn't cost much less. The availability of the M35 instead of just the M45 counts for a lot for it's increased sales much more than anything.
I' ve always like the unique styling of the FX, it looks more cool than the new M to me, but if I want a 4 passenger vehicle that drives sporty but have more interior space & is more luxurious, the M35/45 is probably a better choice than the FX unless you need to carry big boxes all the time.
Old 05-17-05, 09:17 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

OP, have you been living in a cave for the past few months? (No offense, of course. )
Old 05-17-05, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Old 05-17-05, 02:45 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
LOL! That's about the size of it. M and GS drivers should just get used to seeing each other.
Old 05-17-05, 04:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Well it's funny to me that the same people who preach M>GS keep reiterating the same thing over and over again for the past 4 months since these cars came out. Can you say old?

It's a Lexus forum love it or hate it, there is always going to be Lexus bias. Deal with it, get over it and move on. You're not going to convince or change the minds of those who favor the GS overall.
Old 05-17-05, 05:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well it's funny to me that the same people who preach M>GS keep reiterating the same thing over and over again for the past 4 months since these cars came out. Can you say old?

It's a Lexus forum love it or hate it, there is always going to be Lexus bias. Deal with it, get over it and move on. You're not going to convince or change the minds of those who favor the GS overall.
We feel so sad here that people are trading in the cars no questions asked b/c Road and track said so...right/?? Or are people modding the cars already???

Now can we please stop beating this dead horse? B/C clearly, the public has spoken......
Old 05-17-05, 05:31 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Most of those wheels are naaaaaaaaaasty.
Old 05-17-05, 05:55 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2nd pictures that Sick posted is from Japan and those guys love the VIP stlye( disc wheels). The 3GS from the second pic. look like the guy lowered the car and some exhausts. So, we got some aftermarket suspension and exhausts for the 3GS, right??.

Last edited by VVT-i; 05-17-05 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 06:04 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

The first and second pics of the GS are really ugly. The others look nice though except for the fact that they desperately need to be dropped. Looks like a 4x4
Old 05-17-05, 06:33 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenthar
The first and second pics of the GS are really ugly. The others look nice though except for the fact that they desperately need to be dropped. Looks like a 4x4
That was my point. Look at the 2nd pic and you can see the guy got some dropped on the 3GS and you can tell by the gap between the tire and the fender well.
Old 05-17-05, 07:58 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
That was my point. Look at the 2nd pic and you can see the guy got some dropped on the 3GS and you can tell by the gap between the tire and the fender well.
Sadly, he cut the springs. There still is not lowering suspension for the 3GS.
Old 05-17-05, 09:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
The 2nd pictures that Sick posted is from Japan and those guys love the VIP stlye( disc wheels). The 3GS from the second pic. look like the guy lowered the car and some exhausts. So, we got some aftermarket suspension and exhausts for the 3GS, right??.
Does this guy have different rims on either side?

Same car, same event (in SoCal).
Old 05-17-05, 09:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Does this guy have different rims on either side?

Same car, same event (in SoCal).
if it didnt have chromeys on it, i would say that might me Manarays whip. he used to tool around socal with the F1 plates on his 2nd gen. dont really care for the rims, in any case........
Old 05-17-05, 09:47 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Except for the wheels, that car is pretty smokin'. Love the tails.

Quick Reply: Infiniti M-series a possible contender?