GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Infiniti M-series a possible contender?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 08:19 PM
shoehead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti M-series a possible contender?

Well i was just thinking, do you guys think the new infiniti M is a possible contender to the GS.
Don't get me wrong the GS is in a class by itself but.....

Comparisson
most prestigious models
LEXUS GS 430 w/ 4.3L V8 300hp @ 5600RPM 325 lb-ft @ 3400RPM

INFINITI M 45 sport w/ 4.5L V8 335hp @ 6400RPM 340 lb-ft @ 4000RPM

Old 05-13-05, 08:22 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Not really lol, I seen the 45 and thr 35 and what can I say they did catch my attention but then again you look at it and it looks like a nissan . And I also seen the new gs and my fav one was a silver color just like the one on top and oh man does it look sexy it just screams authority at you like get your broken down bmw-benz A$$ out the way
Old 05-13-05, 08:37 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

The M might have been a condender when it had the older body style because it was bigger and seemed more luxurious. Now it just screams Nissan at you, and who wants to over pay for a Nissan anyway?
Old 05-13-05, 09:07 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe put this in the 3rd gen and more current owners can chime in. Im sure there are a few who were considering the M and bought the GS and can share their reasons.

I say GS hands down for looks. Performance isnt a huge issue with me and quality is better with the GS.
Old 05-13-05, 10:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There have been A LOT of discussions on the M vs 3GS in the 3GS forum. Take a peek.
Old 05-14-05, 06:05 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

There is no doubt that the M is a contender, bettering the GS in many aspects while falling short in others.

Saying that the GS is SO good that the M is not even competition is just Lexus snobbery IMO, much like how some BMW and Benz owners won't even give Lexus and other Japanese cars the time of day simply because they're not German.

If you do a search, the most talked about car in this sub-forum (other than the GS of course) is the M, probably more than the 5, E, A6, STS, and the RL combined. That is some indication that the M clearly IS competition.
Old 05-14-05, 12:20 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
The M might have been a condender when it had the older body style because it was bigger and seemed more luxurious. Now it just screams Nissan at you, and who wants to over pay for a Nissan anyway?
Might want to get your facts straight. The new M is bigger (interior room and overall size) and is more luxurious. Other than being wrong on both your points, you are right on target. I want to overpay for a Nissan. When the GS regains a personality then I will consider it.
Old 05-14-05, 02:19 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marcpitch
When the GS regains a personality then I will consider it.
LOL! Some of you 2nd Gen GS owners crack me up. The new GS has no less "personality" than the 2nd Generation. The new GS is better than the previous generation in nearly every way. Admittedly, the improvements made in terms of acceleration and handling aren't as drastic as some had hoped for.
Old 05-14-05, 02:51 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by jwaters
LOL! Some of you 2nd Gen GS owners crack me up. The new GS has no less "personality" than the 2nd Generation. The new GS is better than the previous generation in nearly every way.
Techology-wise, this is true. The interior is nice but I would not say it is better. There is more in the 3GS and it is newer. This is to be expected. Design/Exterior/Aesthetics-wise, it is a matter of opinion. I respect your opinion that you like the 3GS body styling. I (as well as a number of other people) do not. It is an opinion. Everyone has one. Does this mean that I will never buy a 3GS? No. Does it mean I need to go out and get one now (especially with bigger and better things are in the pipeline for this car)? That would be a definite no.

The GS line has produced very nice cars. Let's just enjoy the one we each prefer.
Old 05-14-05, 03:42 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neo
Techology-wise, this is true. The interior is nice but I would not say it is better. There is more in the 3GS and it is newer. This is to be expected. Design/Exterior/Aesthetics-wise, it is a matter of opinion. I respect your opinion that you like the 3GS body styling. I (as well as a number of other people) do not. It is an opinion. Everyone has one. Does this mean that I will never buy a 3GS? No. Does it mean I need to go out and get one now (especially with bigger and better things are in the pipeline for this car)? That would be a definite no.

The GS line has produced very nice cars. Let's just enjoy the one we each prefer.
Bigger and better things for this car? Do tell...
Old 05-14-05, 03:55 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by teutonictr
Bigger and better things for this car? Do tell...
Mainly engine upgrades (already confirmed GS350, GS450h, and GS460) but who knows what Lexus will throw in with each year's tweaks and especially the "refresh" year.
Old 05-14-05, 04:26 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
And who makes the GS? Oh, excuse me I thought it was Toyota. Of course the M is a contender and a damn serious one.
Old 05-14-05, 04:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default GS vs. M

Old 05-14-05, 06:52 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
And who makes the GS? Oh, excuse me I thought it was Toyota. Of course the M is a contender and a damn serious one.
For now... Wait until the GS350 which is share the same 319 hp from the IS350, the new GS450h hybrid which is base on 3.5l GR engine and then the GS460 with dual VVT-i.

By next year we won't have the same discussion between the GS and the M any more.
Old 05-14-05, 07:24 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

what is the expected delivery or date of offering for the GS460? That sucker will probably oust all but the upcoming BMW 550i

Quick Reply: Infiniti M-series a possible contender?