GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Careful: Nose Overhang Easily Scraped!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 08:01 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Careful: Nose Overhang Easily Scraped!!

i LOVE my GS3, especially the styling...but it does have the lowest front overhang of any vehicle i've ever owned, and that includes two SC coupes.

even though i have the park assist, and it has beeped at me before when i pull into a parking space, i have now scraped the underside of the front nose several times. it's the curbs around here...sometimes they're big concrete slabs with iron spikes driven thru to hold them to the parking lot pavement.

the problem is that you may indeed glide just fine over the top of such a curb, but if you add a passenger and then attempt to back up, their extra weight may have lowered the nose so that it hooks on the curb. i actually pulled out of a space this past saturday after adding a passenger, heard the front end of the car give that blood-curdling scrape, and sure enough, i had done it again. left some nasty nasty scars on the underside of the nose. doesn't show unless you lean down and examine closely.

so, beware. potentially expen$ive situation, especially if you're parked with the nose over a curb, 3 buddies from the office jump in to go to lunch, you back out, and the front nose bumper pulls off. yikes!
Old 05-23-05, 10:25 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear; and thanks for the warning. i also noticed that the GS hangs almost as low or as low as the SC, and i have so far managed to stay at least 4-5 inches away from those concrete parking curbs. (i learned it the hard way after scraping the SC twice). i've seen those ones with the rebar (sp?) and my friend with an SLK took off her undercarriage tray that way

just out of curiousity - is the parking assist designed to warn you of height obstacles too, or only distance? on my sticker, the thing was called "clearance sonar", which implies it can warn you when parking near these types of parking curbs ... but i don't trust it entirely .
Old 05-23-05, 12:08 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
sorry to hear; and thanks for the warning. i also noticed that the GS hangs almost as low or as low as the SC, and i have so far managed to stay at least 4-5 inches away from those concrete parking curbs. (i learned it the hard way after scraping the SC twice). i've seen those ones with the rebar (sp?) and my friend with an SLK took off her undercarriage tray that way

just out of curiousity - is the parking assist designed to warn you of height obstacles too, or only distance? on my sticker, the thing was called "clearance sonar", which implies it can warn you when parking near these types of parking curbs ... but i don't trust it entirely .
Hmm.. I find the GS300 to be a bit higher than I was expecting.. I think I've only scraped it once on the front.. However, I find our 2001 Honda Odyssey minivan to be lower (when it's got a couple of adults in it anyway) and gets more scrapes on it than I do with the GS..

As for the height vs. distance, I believe it's distance only -- there are 3-4 sensors on the front bumper and it nothing is directly in front of those sensors, I don't believe you'll get warned.. I would be nice if there was a sensor under the car to see things like curbs before you park on top of them, or at least a wide-angle sensor that could see 180 degrees or so..
Old 05-23-05, 08:13 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is the case for all cars..not necessarily a problem associated with the GS only....