GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS Sales #

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 12:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenthar
How is nissan being shady and not toyota. The solara and camry are two totally different cars. Who cares if they are on the same chassis. You saying "Smart marketing" = stupid. Just shows how biased you really are
The Camry Solara and the Camry are the same vehicle different body styles. They share the same chassis and the same engines. 4cylinder and V6. Again, this discussion was on the GS in comparison to M sales. Camry/Solara had nothing to do with this thead to begin with until the person mentioned it.

Leave it to the same select non-Lexus fans to get upset in a Lexus biased forum.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-01-05 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 12:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jrock65
What is this nonsense about combining M and FX sales?
Calm down, re-read what I posted above.

I already disclosed the Nissan numbers here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165239
Old 06-01-05, 01:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Incredible. So when Toyota refuses to give Camry/Solara numbers to the public it is "smart marketing", but when Nissan doesn't separate M35/45 numbers it is "shady marketing".

I know that this is a Lexus forum, but geez. ...

The M35/45 is the same car except with different engines. Almost all manufacturers, INCLUDING Toyota, refuse to give separate sales breakdowns for the same model with different engines. Toyota doesn't separate sales figures for the Camry I4 and Camry V6, or the 4Runner V6 and 4Runner V8. Same with Honda, Mercedes, GM, Ford, and countless others.

So when Nissan does it it's "shady", but when Toyota does it it's fine and dandy and a "smart" marketing move, right?
We're talking strictly Lexus to Infinti here. It would be awesome to see each manufacturer seperate numbers for each categories/models for cars. But we're not comparing Toyota to Nissan in this thread or why Toyota can't seperate Camry from the Solara, 4Runner to the other models. If you want to discuss that, there's a discussion in Car Chat for that.

I brought up a valid point. Infiniti doesn't disclose the seperation of FX and M models unlike Lexus. I want to see what portion of those sales go to the 35 and 45 of the FX and M respectively. Is that too much to ask for?
Old 06-01-05, 01:02 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad Toyota is doing well with the GS but isn't the percentage change expected? If we are comparing the last year of the previous model and the first year of the new model, I would definitely expect a huge percentage change.
Old 06-01-05, 01:03 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Calm down, re-read what I posted above.

I already disclosed the Nissan numbers here:
No need for your smugness or condescension.

I was responding to "lexuslover" and "enigma", because they were confused about whether FX and M numbers were combined.

I like this forum because most members, including most moderators, seemed to be relatively free of bias. Of course, there are a few that take Toyotadom to the next level, defend Toyota no matter what, and absurdly criticize competitors even when Toyota does the exact same thing . . . but I guess you'll have those people in every forum.
Old 06-01-05, 01:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

No need for your smugness or condescension.

I was responding to "lexuslover" and "enigma", because they were confused about whether FX and M numbers were combined.
There isn't any. I hope you did not read that out of context. This is an open forum/open discussion, the post was open ended and wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Everyone is entitled to respond.
Old 06-01-05, 01:09 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

We're talking strictly Lexus to Infinti here. It would be awesome to see each manufacturer seperate numbers for each categories/models for cars. But we're not comparing Toyota to Nissan in this thread or why Toyota can't seperate Camry from the Solara, 4Runner to the other models. If you want to discuss that, there's a discussion in Car Chat for that.

I brought up a valid point. Infiniti doesn't disclose the seperation of FX and M models unlike Lexus. I want to see what portion of those sales go to the 35 and 45 of the FX and M respectively. Is that too much to ask for?
I wasn't disputing the FACT that Infiniti doesn't separate between the 35 and the 45. Yes, it will be more interesting if they do. But to say that it is "shady" that they don't is absurd. It's just the way that Infiniti, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Audi report. They don't separate.

BMW is the best in this regard. Not only do they separate engine sizes, they separate AWD. Lexus does separate engine size, but they don't separate AWD. Infiniti, Cadillac, Mercedes, and Audi don't separate jack.

Acura doesn't even need to separate I guess, as they only have one body, engine, and drivetrain within each model.
Old 06-01-05, 01:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I wasn't disputing the FACT that Infiniti doesn't separate between the 35 and the 45. Yes, it will be more interesting if they do. But to say that it is "shady" that they don't is absurd.
I don't have a big problem of Infiniti not seperating the M/FX/35/45 #'s. Industry wide, the V8 versions usually account for no more than 15 to 20 % of the total sales of the model anyway.

What I DO have problem is that in their press release, they stated the M sales as 2172 for both M35 & M45 (which adds up correctly with the total Infiniti sales), & yet in the table below they still list the 2172 sales as M45, whereasfor the FX, they list it as FX35/45.
It seems an inexcusable oversight (?) on their part, & had created some confusion in another thread discussing this.
Old 06-01-05, 01:29 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I don't have a big problem of Infiniti not seperating the M/FX/35/45 #'s. Industry wide, the V8 versions usually account for no more than 15 to 20 % of the total sales of the model anyway.

What I DO have problem is that in their press release, they stated the M sales as 2172 for both M35 & M45 (which adds up correctly with the total Infiniti sales), & yet in the table below they still list the 2172 sales as M45, whereasfor the FX, they list it as FX35/45.
It seems an inexcusable oversight (?) on their part, & had created some confusion in another thread discussing this.
I agree with you. They should call it simply M or M35/45 in the table as well. I don't know why they don't correct it and label it correctly.
Old 06-01-05, 02:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I wasn't disputing the FACT that Infiniti doesn't separate between the 35 and the 45. Yes, it will be more interesting if they do. But to say that it is "shady" that they don't is absurd. It's just the way that Infiniti, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Audi report. They don't separate.
Okay, let's not use the word shady. How about "questionable"?
Old 06-01-05, 02:48 PM
LexFather

Guys lets just relax a minute.
The Solora is technically a Camry Solara. And Honda doesn't seperate the Accord coupe from the Accord, never has.

I can tell you WHY Infiniti has not seperated the M35/45 sales. Its because they can BRAG sales are up 300% or whatever ridiculous number it is, when it fact, it is not. I bet if they compare last years and this years M45 sales, they are the same, maybe 400-500 units a month. We all know the V-6 cars make the MOST sales (BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc) but since they won't seperate the 2, it looks like M45 sales figures are up tons. Imagine the press release then, they can't claim M35 sales are up as there was no M35. M45 sales are probably flat or up a little.

So its clever on Nissans part. Lexus, we are not sure how they will handle this issue when the IS 250/350 debuts. Lexus cannot compare the IS 300 to either car since they are both 6 cylinders. Hopefully it just says "IS sales are up" and "its surpassing sales expecations".

The fact is, M45 sales are just as small volume as the last M45. Its the M35 selling like hotcakes.

Looking in comparsion at GS 430 sales, clearly, it shows it is up bunches every month. Of course the percentage number "jump 200% etc" looks skewed as GS production last year was ramped down.

We do know the GS sold over 30,000 units in 1998, the 2GS debut year. Lexus is on pace to hit near 35,000 units this year with the 3GS. Considering its $5,000 more expensive in starting price compared to the 2GS, this shows its a huge hit. It costs more and is selling more. That id good business.

In essence its not that big a deal what the press release says. We are all smart enough to figure out the details. I wonder what the other sedans sold this month?
Old 06-01-05, 07:43 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Well lets see what lexus does with the IS250/350 sales. If lexus puts them together as IS sales in general, would that make lexus "shady" as well?

1sicklex brings up a good point when he said that m35s didnt exist before so why not just lump them together. Likely, although not for certain, the m35 sells more than the m45. Thats a given just like any car with various engine configurations. People will buy the cheaper one unless they want more of a performance oriented car. Now this strategy by infiniti would be considered "smart marketing"
Old 06-01-05, 08:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

If Lexus is consistent, they should seperate the IS250 & IS350 sales #'s too like they are doing with the GS now . . .
Old 06-01-05, 09:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Well lets see what lexus does with the IS250/350 sales. If lexus puts them together as IS sales in general, would that make lexus "shady" as well?

1sicklex brings up a good point when he said that m35s didnt exist before so why not just lump them together. Likely, although not for certain, the m35 sells more than the m45. Thats a given just like any car with various engine configurations. People will buy the cheaper one unless they want more of a performance oriented car. Now this strategy by infiniti would be considered "smart marketing"
Lexus is usually consistent when they report numbers. They really have nothing to hide. Like you said, we will have to wait and see. Don't jump to conclusions just yet.

It's not likely, it's a fact that Infiniti sells more M35's than 45's. It's like that with most high end offerings of any vehicle model...most evident w/luxury vehicles. What Infiniti is doing is nothing exclusive or new, Lexus has been doing it for years with the Gen 2 GS and even the Gen 1 SC. It's not "smart marketing" it's called mimicking the market trend and studying other manfuacturers' marketing strategies.
Old 06-01-05, 09:45 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Lexus is usually consistent when they report numbers. They really have nothing to hide. Like you said, we will have to wait and see. Don't jump to conclusions just yet.

It's not likely, it's a fact that Infiniti sells more M35's than 45's. It's like that with most high end offerings of any vehicle model...most evident w/luxury vehicles. What Infiniti is doing is nothing exclusive or new, Lexus has been doing it for years with the Gen 2 GS and even the Gen 1 SC. It's not "smart marketing" it's called mimicking the market trend and studying other manfuacturers' marketing strategies.
When i referred to "smart marketing" i was talking about lumping the m35 and m45 sales together. I see it as smart marketing because it makes the % in sales figures high. I wasnt referring to the fact that there are separate models.

Quick Reply: GS Sales #