GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

R&T speculates 400 HP for the 460

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 09:48 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R&T speculates 400 HP for the 460

In this article about the LS600h, they note that it will use the new 4.6 L engine everyone here is waiting for and that it will produce about 400 hp. SOunds pretty correct to me. I thought I would share the article here also for you guys that don't frequent the LS forum. I'm sure this topic has been discussed already but I just thought I would share this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try for more HP out of that engine for the GS since it is supposed to tbe the sporty model. Geez, that will be a KILLER GS with 400 HP!

(drools)

too bad I don't see one in my near future . But for anybody that does, ENJOY!
Old 06-12-05, 09:55 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good eye, Yaro!

Just what I wanted to see with a two week old GS in the driveway- a 400hp GS in the works!

Old 06-12-05, 10:25 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I guess it's possible, but I'd be amazed if the LS/GS460 makes 400 hp. The 4.8 V8 in the 750i makes 360 hp.

I'm thinking that the GS460 will make more like 350hp to 360hp.
Old 06-12-05, 12:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I suppose they can tune the 460 engine to 400 hp if they really want to, but I don't think so
Old 06-12-05, 03:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by yaro1
In this article about the LS600h, they note that it will use the new 4.6 L engine everyone here is waiting for and that it will produce about 400 hp. SOunds pretty correct to me. I thought I would share the article here also for you guys that don't frequent the LS forum. I'm sure this topic has been discussed already but I just thought I would share this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try for more HP out of that engine for the GS since it is supposed to tbe the sporty model. Geez, that will be a KILLER GS with 400 HP!

(drools)

too bad I don't see one in my near future . But for anybody that does, ENJOY!
Good find but u heard it here first

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164773

I stand by my reasoning.
Old 06-13-05, 08:23 AM
Shogun
Driver

Default You knew it was coming...

This is great news and my only complaint is that it can't come soon enough!

In an environment when Hyundai V-6's are putting out 265bhp and premium V-6 are coming in 300bhp, Lexus had to move up the bhp ladder. Logically, I think we all knew it was coming but it sure would have been nice if it were available when the 3GS launched.

Eric
Old 06-13-05, 08:46 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow 400HP!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to own that mean machine.
Old 06-13-05, 08:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
I guess it's possible, but I'd be amazed if the LS/GS460 makes 400 hp. The 4.8 V8 in the 750i makes 360 hp.

I'm thinking that the GS460 will make more like 350hp to 360hp.
Technology.

That's what it takes. Look at GM and Ford. Their displacement and resulting horsepower pales by comparison. It takes a 6.0L V8 to generate 400HP for the Corvette and Ford's GT has a 4.6L which generates only 300HP.

Look at Toyota's Formula One racing engine. 3.0 liters, 900HP!

It comes down to technology and cost to bring that technology to the car. Obviously a F1 racing engine would drive the cost and the MSRP to high for our Lexus. But I've always felt Toyota has been able to efficiently add a lot of engine technology, keeping the price fair.

It's never a sliding scale ( x liters = y HP)
Old 06-13-05, 10:58 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

400hp would be great. But if you still can't shut off VDIM in opportune times is kinda of a mute point to me. A good example of this is, pulling into an intersection where traffic is heavy and you'll need all the horses to keep from getting rear ended by that 18 wheeler. (I know wait for traffic to clear)....Hmmm, not during rush hour in DC. Anyway, VDIM activates and bogged down your forward progress. This is the number one reason that I will not be considering a 06 or future GS model, due to the level of electronic intervention.
Old 06-13-05, 11:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Maybe they'll get that VDIM issue fixed (ability to switch off) for the GS460, or at least make it less intrusive like they said they'll do for the IS350, we'll see . . .
Old 06-13-05, 01:09 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nate579
VDIM activates and bogged down your forward progress.
That doesn't make sense! Does it? (I'm not talking about grammar even though that doesn't either since the tenses are off )

VDIM is most active in turns, slowing the car down if you turn to sharply and might lose control. VDIM does little during acceleration like you talk about (if it intervenes at all). To the best of my knowledge (extensive since it is Lexus ), VDIM would not interfere with you accelerating. In fact, VDIM should help get you outta trouble if for example you were stopped in an oil slick and accelerated.

So, I believe sir, that with all due respect, you have just been shot down. .

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I do know a heck of a lot about Lexus since it is one of my obsessions.

VDIM is a problem if you plan on powersliding or doing donuts in the street. Otherwise, I give it a since I am sure it will save many lives in the future!
Old 06-13-05, 01:11 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nate579
400hp would be great. But if you still can't shut off VDIM in opportune times is kinda of a mute point to me. A good example of this is, pulling into an intersection where traffic is heavy and you'll need all the horses to keep from getting rear ended by that 18 wheeler. (I know wait for traffic to clear)....Hmmm, not during rush hour in DC. Anyway, VDIM activates and bogged down your forward progress. This is the number one reason that I will not be considering a 06 or future GS model, due to the level of electronic intervention.
VDIM doesn't work that way. It will provide better forward movement and harness that HP better than you would without it.

What good does all that HP do you if your wheels are spinning with no traction. You may as well have the wheels off the ground with 1000hp.

Here's the how drivelines rank as far as traction. From least to most forward momentum.
  • Rear Differential w/traditional first gen traction control
  • Rear Differential w/no traction control - net effect one wheel drive
  • Rear Differential w/VDIM (includes a more advanced traction control)
  • AWD w/three differentials
  • AWD w/other variants of diff locks

The 2nd generation traction control was extremely sensitive with cutting power off. This caused you to sit and wait. The 3rd Generation with VDIM is not that way. It will feather power to the wheels with variable amounts until you regain traction.

Last edited by looknow12; 06-13-05 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 01:28 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

VDIM is most active in turns, slowing the car down if you turn to sharply and might lose control. VDIM does little during acceleration like you talk about (if it intervenes at all). To the best of my knowledge (extensive since it is Lexus ), VDIM would not interfere with you accelerating.
Only to the extent that with a lot of HP to the wheels if you start fishtailing, VDIM will intervene to keep the car straight. A big HP monster with a tradtional differential in the rear might spin around before the diver realized what was happening. We'd have to be talking about a lot of HP. When I did my review GS430 Snow Driving: Looknow's Feedback I indicated that for the most part, I was able to respond to fishtails quicker than the VDIM could, but only slightly quicker and I've been driving in snow my whole life.
Old 06-13-05, 03:40 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

That doesn't make sense! Does it? (I'm not talking about grammar even though that doesn't either since the tenses are off )

VDIM is most active in turns, slowing the car down if you turn to sharply and might lose control. VDIM does little during acceleration like you talk about (if it intervenes at all). To the best of my knowledge (extensive since it is Lexus ), VDIM would not interfere with you accelerating. In fact, VDIM should help get you outta trouble if for example you were stopped in an oil slick and accelerated.

So, I believe sir, that with all due respect, you have just been shot down. .

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I do know a heck of a lot about Lexus since it is one of my obsessions.

VDIM is a problem if you plan on powersliding or doing donuts in the street. Otherwise, I give it a since I am sure it will save many lives in the future!

All I am saying is I would rather have a On and Off Switch During my test drive of the 06 GS430. Pulling out of the dealer short of WOT was met with the nanny bot. Maybe I wanted to spin the tires or at least get a chirp from them. Which I was what I was attempting, but bam VDIM put a quick stop that as if to say "Don't even think about it" the car bogged. Even the sales rep agreed that VDIM was the only downside of the car, but Lexus may be coming out with a personalization of settings. Meaning that some drivers may be able have thier VDIM set for more liberal driving fun. I don't know if that's true or not. I have seen nothing posted here about it. But anyway, the one thing I love about big horsepower cars and RWD is that if I wanted too. I can lay 2 long black stripes down the black top if I wanted too. Not that I would.
Old 06-13-05, 08:24 PM
LexFather

I wonder if a LSD will help overide the VDIM?

Quick Reply: R&T speculates 400 HP for the 460