GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

NAV Voice Controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 12:56 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NAV Voice Controls

My GS430 should finally be here by the end of the month and I'm wondering about the voice controls. Does anyone who has the NAV use them? Are the controls limited ONLY to the NAV system (GPS) or can you use them to adjust the A/C, radio, etc.? And lastly, is there any place online that you guys know of where I could find a listing of all the commands?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-15-05, 01:22 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just press the talk button, and a little dialog box jumps up with "cancel" or "help".

Pressing "help" shows all possible commands.

Hope that helps~!

The accuracy is OK with them though. Yes, you can use it for audio but only to a limited degree. You can say "tune up" but can't, however, say "Tune 100.3". They are more of a novelty most of the time because it is often quicker/easier to just press the tune up or down buttons right next to the talk button.

I do think the system is a little bit useless except for some other functions which might make mroe sense like saying "Single map mode" which avoids about 3 keystrokes (if you want to call them keystrokes)

Last edited by yaro1; 06-15-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 04:05 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i haven't used the voice commands at all. like yaro said, most things are faster if you just press the buttons unfortunately.

i do want to program "delete destination" though, b/c that button was hard to find to on the new Gen 4 nav. didn't make much sense to me that it's in the Route menu.
Old 06-15-05, 04:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwaters
My GS430 should finally be here by the end of the month and I'm wondering about the voice controls. Does anyone who has the NAV use them? Are the controls limited ONLY to the NAV system (GPS) or can you use them to adjust the A/C, radio, etc.? And lastly, is there any place online that you guys know of where I could find a listing of all the commands?

Thanks in advance!!
Not limited to NAVI at all.

For A/C, say '## degrees' and it will usually, quite accurately, change to the degree temperature you want.

For Radio, for instance say 'CD changer' and your CDs will start to play, or "FM radio" and the radio will come on...etc.

The NAVI commands are identical to those for the LS, and Prius...at least with the latest gen NAVI system:

http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Prius_NAV_Voice_commands.html
Old 06-15-05, 06:01 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Very cool Enigma...thanks! (I'm even more anxious for my car to get here now)
Old 06-15-05, 06:08 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I played with the voice recognition system for a little bit on my GS300. I didn't look at the syst***s know vocabulary so I was just winging it. It generally mistook every command I gave it and did something entirely unexpected. It was quite funny. I doubt if I'll bother with it again unless I need to keep myself occupied on a long trip while my wife drives. To me, this is one of a few features the GS could do without. Perhaps the power folding side mirrors would be next.
Old 06-16-05, 10:23 PM
osx-addict
Driver

I've tried things like "home" and it always marks points of interest for me.. Below is a typical conversation with it :

Me: <button press><pause> HOME
Navi: The banks point of interest are now listed

The words above aren't correct, but you get the jist.. I've not really tried to get the hang of it and almost never use it (and haven't had it figure out anything yet on the few occasions I've tried)