GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

1 week old car + valet = TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 10:40 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the "17 year old kid who just got his license and recently was hired as a valet" take the keys from someone who has an immacualtely kept and/or expensive vehicle, and curb the sucker while backing up or trying to pull into a spot, either clip the curb with the rim, damaging the rim and the sidewall of the tire, or pulling too far up in the spot and scraping the bottom of the front bumper. IMHO, valet should be OPTIONAL everywhere. If you don't have a problem parking your own car and walking the 100 feet it may be to the restaurant, why should the restaurant owner? Hell, if he fires that valet, there's more money in the bank for him.
Old 06-22-05, 10:55 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Problems with dents like that, is that you have to see EVERYTIME you (the driver) get inside the car, not like a small chip on top of the trunk, roof, or hidden somewhere where you cant see it every single day.

Sorry to hear about your car, we all experiance something like this one day or another, but I do understand your situation being the car is only one week old.
Old 06-22-05, 10:55 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, repaint the entire door. That's probably better anyways

In the past, I've had parts that were touched up but I could always see it. Or knowing it was there was bad enough. Then again, that's just me
Old 06-22-05, 10:57 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by runyun
Most likely, repaint the entire door. That's probably better anyways

In the past, I've had parts that were touched up but I could always see it. Or knowing it was there was bad enough. Then again, that's just me
Problem is, it cannot be 100% perfected. Factory paint is alwaaaaays better then other jobs. It doesnt peel or show imperfections as fast as aftermarket paint.

I say just touch it up, and hopefully within time, you'll get so use to it, you wont really notice it.
Old 06-22-05, 11:07 AM
my06GS300
Rookie

Your experience is a carbon copy what happened to me. The difference is that the damage on my car (bumper) is about 6’x4”. Longo has sent me the touch-up paint over night and I “fixed it”. I try not to look there. However this is what the bumpers are for after all. If I want to get a professional job it will cost me hundreds of bucks.
Old 06-22-05, 11:44 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 06-22-05, 11:48 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Problem is, it cannot be 100% perfected. Factory paint is alwaaaaays better then other jobs. It doesnt peel or show imperfections as fast as aftermarket paint.

I say just touch it up, and hopefully within time, you'll get so use to it, you wont really notice it.

Not necessarily. Paint only peels if it's not applied correctly - it's "all in the prep work"
As long as the surface is prepped correctly and the paint sprayed in a proper spray booth w/filters, the paint should look close to original.

Shops that simply tape up edges (i.e. Maaco) will have clear coats that peel eventually because the taping leaves an edge (taping around rubber trim, handles, around window/glass trim, etc). If all trim is removed and the paint sprayed correctly, it will be just as good as original. Just take it to a reputable shop and see their work for assurance.
Old 06-22-05, 03:09 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to chim in here, I do remember the first rock chip on my brand new 2001 IS 300.....I was so pissed for weeks, then I back overed a blind curbing, and really scuffed up the underside of the car........I traded the car in that week and got 2002 IS 300...I went for a year with not one chip or ding.....and then I got a whopper of a rock chip, right on the leading edge of the hood.... but, I eventually got over it...then in 2004 I bought my wife and I 2004 GX......and we did buy the clear permanent paint mask, that helps huge......but after just two months of ownership....while driving on I-5 we heard a rock chip on the SIDE of the GX 470.... so annoying..........I really do feel you're pain bud, sorry it happened so soon.....
Old 06-22-05, 03:12 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about the valet. that stinks.

my vote would be for the PDR and touch up only. if you repaint the whole thing, it may not match the rest of the car in the future and then before you know it, you might get another ding on the door which will make you twice as upset since you just paid a lot to have the door redone.

i found a couple of minor door scratches yesterday while washing the car, but came out relatively easily. no dings so far, but some rock chips on the front bumper and hood that are ugly black spots now. waiting for autovisuals to come out with the glacier frost pen.
Old 06-22-05, 03:21 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear about that man. just sucks
Old 06-22-05, 11:02 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sucks.

Sometimes, I do use the Valet. But it's rare.

It's about to be "never".
Old 07-19-05, 09:59 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

I valet every day, and within the first two weeks I got nailed at Guido's in WLA. Same thing, came out in the am and tried to wipe off "bird poop" which turned out to be white paint. I was able to buff out the white paint, then immediately spent $75 with Dent Masters to remove the dent.

Which restaurant? I'll be extra careful there....

BTW be careful of Saddle Ranch on the Sunset Strip. They forgot to set the parking brake on my Carrera, whereupon it rolled down a small hill and buried its nose under an armored truck. $7,000.
Old 07-20-05, 09:57 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex996
Which restaurant? I'll be extra careful there....

BTW be careful of Saddle Ranch on the Sunset Strip. They forgot to set the parking brake on my Carrera, whereupon it rolled down a small hill and buried its nose under an armored truck. $7,000.

It was at Viceroy in Santa Monica...to make matters worse, dinner wasn't that great

I hate to valet b/c it's almost impossible to properly inspect the car after it pulls up. It's usually dark and people behind you thnk you're paranoid if you look for damage But I guess it's a part of life in Los Angeles.

Oh well, I've gotten over the pain of this first ding. I applied touch up paint via a tootpick and used Langka. Not even close to a perfect result, but better than spending serious $$$ to have the door repainted.

Ha, Saddle Ranch! Did you ride the mechanical bull

Last edited by INHOCJP; 07-20-05 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 12:23 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
It was at Viceroy in Santa Monica...to make matters worse, dinner wasn't that great

I hate to valet b/c it's almost impossible to properly inspect the car after it pulls up. It's usually dark and people behind you thnk you're paranoid if you look for damage But I guess it's a part of life in Los Angeles.

Oh well, I've gotten over the pain of this first ding. I applied touch up paint via a tootpick and used Langka. Not even close to a perfect result, but better than spending serious $$$ to have the door repainted.

Ha, Saddle Ranch! Did you ride the mechanical bull
Ahhh, I know the Viceroy all too well- one of my haunts. Did not ride the mech bull- too gnarly. SR is great for a hungover bloody mary breakfast on Sundays.
Old 07-27-05, 10:05 AM
john37
Rookie

i think you should go there and bust a cap in his @ss. naw i'm just kidding. but the thought of it might make you feel better. haha sorry, just a young guy with a lot of testosterone.

Quick Reply: 1 week old car + valet = TROUBLE