GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Do you have a clear bra installed on your GS?
Yes
44.09%
No
30.65%
Not yet, but I plan to get one installed soon
25.27%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a clear bra on your 3rd Gen GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 11:05 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a clear bra on your 3rd Gen GS?

I'm debating whether or not I should get a Clear Bra. I know they are useful, but they are quite expensive (I've been quoted anywhere from $800-1200 in my area for full front end coverage!!!) & they also aren't truly "invisible". I don't like how wax can accumulate around the edges of the bra when detailing your car either. I'm considering just getting a regular style black vinyl bra. I know they look tacky, but I'd only use it on road trips where I'm most likely to encounter debris/rocks. I don't typically get on the freeway /highway for my daily commute (4 miles each way) so the probability of me getting rock chips during most of my driving is pretty low.

Anyway, how many of you have a clear bra installed on your GS? Please feel free to state the reason why as well.
Old 06-26-05, 02:49 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i already have a few chips on my hood and bumper; waiting to get some touch up paint at 5k to make them less visible. (they are black chips on white car - ugh). i thought about the bra, but like you, i worry about scratching/yellowing/waxing, etc. and sure, all those things can be avoided if i take super good care, but i typically don't wash and wax myself anyway. i also lease, and rock chips are acceptable, so the incentive to put any extra $ into the car is not there, esp when i will get a new Lexus every 3 years. (plan on getting the 460 in 08 after it's been on the market for a year.)
Old 06-26-05, 04:13 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwaters
I'm debating whether or not I should get a Clear Bra. I know they are useful, but they are quite expensive (I've been quoted anywhere from $800-1200 in my area for full front end coverage!!!) & they also aren't truly "invisible". I don't like how wax can accumulate around the edges of the bra when detailing your car either. I'm considering just getting a regular style black vinyl bra. I know they look tacky, but I'd only use it on road trips where I'm most likely to encounter debris/rocks. I don't typically get on the freeway /highway for my daily commute (4 miles each way) so the probability of me getting rock chips during most of my driving is pretty low.
I would say it depends on how long you want to keep your car. I had a clear bra (Expel) put on my old GS after having the front end repainted. Probably the best investment I made. The front end looked pretty good after about three years of wear and tear. There were still minor chips, but these were in areas where the bra didn't fully cover. I didn't have any yellowing of the film during the three years. But I hear there are much superior films available now.

Having said all this, I'm not installing a clear bra on my new GS. Like lexuslover, I'm planning on trading in my GS in about three years for a 460 or 450H. Not worth it to me to spend > $500.

But if you are going to have the car for the long haul, then I'd definitely get the clear bra. The factory bra...yuck. I had one also, only used it for one or two trips. Put the $100 towards the clear bra. ALso, in my experience, waiting until you have a number of chips and repainting isn't a great option, b/c the new paint job will be even more prone to chips.
Old 06-26-05, 04:59 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Do it. Get the venture film. It's totally worth it if rock chips bug you, even if it is a leased car. Mine was $550 at a shop called Aeroshield. Forget about the yellowing (Venture doesn't) and the wax buildup (2 seconds with your fingernail). It's windy in the desert!
Old 06-26-05, 07:31 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

I had a 3M Clear Bra installed the same time that I Tinted my windows. The local installer that my Dealer recommended only offered 3M. I have coverage over half of my hood, the entire front end and my side mirrors.

Sounds to me like Venture is a better product. My Clear Bra and Tint cost me $650 installed. I wish I had done it sooner instead of after 15K miles but that's my own fault. This is the first time for either a Clear Bra or Tint for me.
Old 06-26-05, 07:40 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

p.s. i agree w/ the others on the black vinyl bra for road trips. i bought one in 98 for a black 2GS, and i used it a few times, and it was a pain to put on, take off, and keep the hood clean. it kinda messes up the paint too if you aren't careful. not worth it in my opinion.

if the clear bra were $200 or less, i might just do it for the sake of keeping the car looking new, but to me, trading in a model every other year, i just don't bother. it's almost like putting a sheet or clear vinyl over leather furniture at home or putting saran wrap on your remote controls!!
Old 06-27-05, 09:33 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

any websites on clear bras?
Old 06-27-05, 11:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

We have a ClubLexus Vendor that has one:

www.aeroshield.com
Old 06-27-05, 12:33 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

I've decided to get a Clear Bra. I'm planning on keeping the car 5+ years so I think it will be worth it. I ended up going with the Venture product and will get it installed this Thursday. There is only 1 place where I live that offers this brand (all other use 3M). I got a price of $700 and that includes everything.....hood, bumper, fender, headlights, trunk opening area, etc. It's a little pricey, but not as bad as some other places that wanted over $900 for the 3M!!!

On a somewhat related note, I'm also going to be getting the windows tinted on Friday. There was only 1 place I could find that offered ceramic window tint and it's $520!! Ouch. I swear people hear the word "Lexus" and they immediately add $100-200 onto the price.

Last edited by jwaters; 06-27-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 07:46 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

jwaters: good decision IMO. With the clear bra, you'll be able to maintain your GS in its perfect chip free condition. It's a small price to pay for a large investment

Wow, your quote for tint is way too high. I'd say the most you should spend for a reputable shop to install a good brand film is about $400. At least that's what I've found here in CA. Hope you can find another shop for the install. Good luck, and show us some pics when you pick up your new GS this week.
Old 06-27-05, 09:49 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Wow, your quote for tint is way too high. I'd say the most you should spend for a reputable shop to install a good brand film is about $400. At least that's what I've found here in CA. Hope you can find another shop for the install. Good luck, and show us some pics when you pick up your new GS this week.
Just an update on the window tint. When picking up my car at the dealership today and going over my financing they said they could save me about $100 (they use the same installer & film). Still pricey at over $400, but better nonetheless. Anyway, it's a ceramic film that won't mess up the NAV or radio signal and I believe it's called Huper Optik. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think.

Last edited by jwaters; 06-29-05 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-30-05, 10:49 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

i'm sorry...but what is a clear bra?
Old 07-01-05, 05:53 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Just an update. I had my clear bra installed yesterday (Venture Shield). There are couple very small pieces of lint/debris caught under the material on one of the main headlight units as well as one of the smaller headlight units. Other than that, it looks great. They did the hood, fenders, bumper, headlights/foglights, side view mirrors and the rear bumper near the trunk opening. In sunlight it is totally invisible on my Crystal White GS. In the shade pretty much the only thing you can see when standing next to the car and not pointing it out is the line on the hood. This line is the most noticable in the whole install, so for those of you who might be bothered by this many shops can do the whole hood. Of course, it will cost more, but for the true perfectionist this might be money well spent. Overall, I'm very happy. They also gave me an aerosol can of Plexus & a microfiber towel to use on the bra periodically to get rid of static build up and clean it. It seems to be good stuff. I've already used it on my laptop screen and my LCD monitor at work, as well as the NAV screen in the GS to remove fingerprints.

Well, I'm off to get my windows tinted today. Wish me luck!

Last edited by jwaters; 07-01-05 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 08:16 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwaters

Anyway, how many of you have a clear bra installed on your GS? Please feel free to state the reason why as well.
I don't own the new GS, but I own an `04 SC and an `04 GX both of which I equipped with clear bras. As a matter of fact, when I parked my SC this morning at work I paused to admire the finish on the hood of the car and how well the bra has withstood the 1-year it has been on and protected the car. I have not had a problem with wax or any substance accumulating at the seams. My SC is Millenium Silver and the bra is still barely noticeable. Same thing for the GX. Let's face it, there's a 100% certainty that chip-creating substances fly at and, occasionally, are going to hit your car when you're driving no matter how careful you try to be. [I remember driving my `02 SC almost 100 feet behind the car in front of me and watching a small rock come flying through the air and hit the top of my windshield.] It's gonna happen! I paid about $1K for each of the bras and besides the protection, the peace of mind that I have with it on the cars makes it well worth the cost. When you're thinking about the cost, also think about the feeling of seeing a chip on the hood of your brand-new, $50K+ car, located where the bra would have been. It's a no-brainer after that.
Old 07-01-05, 09:19 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Premier Mobile
thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Do you have a clear bra on your 3rd Gen GS?