GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Avalon has more power then gs-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 01:20 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Avalon has more power then gs-3

What's up with the new toyota avalon having a more powerfull 280hp 3.5 liter v6??? and the gs-3 gets a 240 hp engine. Shouldnt it be the other way around
Old 06-28-05, 01:39 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds fair to me, I have a 98 GS and the new avalon is just that a new 2005 or 06.
Old 06-28-05, 01:49 PM
LexFather

This has been discussed over and over and over again.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=avalon
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=avalon

And there are other threads this has been discussed in
Old 06-28-05, 01:56 PM
jskim9
Rookie

Originally Posted by vicestan
What's up with the new toyota avalon having a more powerfull 280hp 3.5 liter v6??? and the gs-3 gets a 240 hp engine. Shouldnt it be the other way around
then nobody would get the gs430.

But I do agree, I'd feel irked buying a gs300. The avalon shouldn't have so much power, but I think they have to keep up with Nissan in the power war.
Old 06-28-05, 02:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why you wait for the 350.
Old 06-28-05, 02:41 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
This is why you wait for the 350.
EXACTLY... also for the v-8 fans, worth waiting for the 460
Old 06-28-05, 02:58 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yea but what im trying to understand is why did they develop the new v6 for the gs-3 when they coulda just gave it the 3.5 engine in the avalon. Im still not sure but does the gs-350 tag denone a 3.5 liter engine? if so will it be paired with a electric motor? Oh and people would still get the 430 its like with the new saab suv out it has a 290 hp v6 engine model and a 300hp v8, the v8 has way more tourqe, thats why people would sitll buy the gs4.
Old 06-28-05, 05:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe the layout of the engine???
Avalon use FF and GS is AWD or RWD????
Old 06-28-05, 10:08 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Well, whatever the reason was, it's pretty much a given that the GS350 is coming. Most think fall of 2006 as a 2007 model.

Only question is, how much power. 310hp/280 torque like the IS350? A bit more? A bit less?
Old 06-28-05, 10:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vicestan
Yea but what im trying to understand is why did they develop the new v6 for the gs-3 when they coulda just gave it the 3.5 engine in the avalon. Im still not sure but does the gs-350 tag denone a 3.5 liter engine? if so will it be paired with a electric motor? Oh and people would still get the 430 its like with the new saab suv out it has a 290 hp v6 engine model and a 300hp v8, the v8 has way more tourqe, thats why people would sitll buy the gs4.
Okay, here it is.
The reason isThe 2GS or 2nd gen 98-05 went all 8 years in GS 300 trim with no engine or power upgrade. The GS 400 did become the 430 after 3 years. The German competiton usually updates engines mid-cycle to keep people interested when sales go down some. So Lexus is following this same strategy. If the GS 350 debuted today, they would not have an engine to move up to and freshing the lineup for 7 or 8 years. So they kept it the GS 300 which still got a 25hp bump and is swifter than the previous GS 300 anyway. Which is fine, since sales are meeting sales goals, even with not the most HP in class. So in 3 years when sales fall some, they can introduce the GS 350 and GS 460 with updated engines.

Look at Benz, they have had the E320 for sometime now and after 3 years, they are bumping the E320 to the E350. The BMW 530 keeps the same name but it gets a new 6-cylinder after 2 years. It keeps things fresh.

Yes vicetan, what ever number is on the rear of the Lexus designates its engine size.
GS 430=4.3
ES 330 =3.3
GX 470= 4.7
etc etc

THe GS 450h will be the new 3.5 V-6 with hybrid power. Now how did they come up with that name? Lexus gives its hybrid cars the names based on what the cars power would be like if it was gas only. So a GS 450h is saying it will drive like a 4.5 liter V-8. The RX 400h means it drives like a 4.0 liter V-8. The power will be the next size engine up, the fuel economy the next size engine down.

I hope this clarifies things.
Old 06-29-05, 08:20 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

So 1SICKLEX, you don't think we'll see the GS350 in the 2007 model year? Do you think it will most likely come in 2009? My current lease is up December 1st and I've been debating whether or not to get the 2006 GS300 AWD because I'll be really upset if the GS350 AWD comes out the following year.
Old 06-29-05, 08:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I think the GS350 will most likely be available fall of 2006 as 2007 model here, Japan is getting the GS350 in a couple of months. They will likely upgrade the new GS to 460 & 350 when the 2007 LS460 comes out, I don't think they can afford to hold on to the 430 & 300 for the GS longer than that since the competition will already be upgrading their power earlier than that.
Old 06-29-05, 10:03 AM
longjohn
Rookie

Default Time for a reality check

I read threads like this that are so common on car forums and I can't help but shake my head. Realistically, what percentage of luxury car buyers do you think really care that much about horsepower and 0 - 60 times? I personally don't have the answer to that, but I suspect it is FAR lower than the number of people on this forum that care about it.

Admittedly, the car mags don't help since that's about all they seem to care about, and it is certainly interesting to talk about, but let's keep some perspective here. The question that's always implied is "what was Lexus thinking?". Well, I'll tell you what they were thinking "Let's go sell some cars and make some money".

There is more to a car than just horsepower and 0 - 60 times. An Avalon is a nice car, but to suggest that it outshines the GS300 just because it has more horsepower is absolutely ludicrous to me. I enjoy every minute of my commute now. When I reach my destination I am reluctant to get out of the car. I doubt seriously, that an Avalon would give me the same feeling.

Now I'm not suggesting an end to the horsepower rants. I rather enjoy them, and often learn something from them, but I just felt like someone needed to inject another perspective into this thread.
Old 06-29-05, 11:34 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I want the extra horsepower, not because of the 0-60 times but because of the AWD. From what I remember reading, AWD makes a car feel slower because of the power being distributed to all 4 wheels so I think you'll feel the additional hp. Plus the AWD system makes the car heavier. I also don't want to get a 2006 GS300 in December, only to have it replaced by a GS350 8 months later when the 2007 models come out. If the 3.0 V6 was going to be the current engine in the AWD for 2 or 3 model years, then it wouldn't bother me to get it. I know this kind of thing happens to people all the time, but not a year after the new body style is released. I can't think of one car that switched engines after the first year of a new body style. I'm sure people will chime in and give me examples but no luxury/sports sedans are coming to mind.
Old 06-29-05, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sam Khoury
I want the extra horsepower, not because of the 0-60 times but because of the AWD. From what I remember reading, AWD makes a car feel slower because of the power being distributed to all 4 wheels so I think you'll feel the additional hp. Plus the AWD system makes the car heavier. I also don't want to get a 2006 GS300 in December, only to have it replaced by a GS350 8 months later when the 2007 models come out. If the 3.0 V6 was going to be the current engine in the AWD for 2 or 3 model years, then it wouldn't bother me to get it. I know this kind of thing happens to people all the time, but not a year after the new body style is released. I can't think of one car that switched engines after the first year of a new body style. I'm sure people will chime in and give me examples but no luxury/sports sedans are coming to mind.
Sure if you can wait a couple years, the additional 60 more hp (around 300) wil surely be felt, that would be a 20% increase.
Originally Posted by longjohn
I read threads like this that are so common on car forums and I can't help but shake my head. Realistically, what percentage of luxury car buyers do you think really care that much about horsepower and 0 - 60 times? I personally don't have the answer to that, but I suspect it is FAR lower than the number of people on this forum that care about it.

Admittedly, the car mags don't help since that's about all they seem to care about, and it is certainly interesting to talk about, but let's keep some perspective here. The question that's always implied is "what was Lexus thinking?". Well, I'll tell you what they were thinking "Let's go sell some cars and make some money".

There is more to a car than just horsepower and 0 - 60 times. An Avalon is a nice car, but to suggest that it outshines the GS300 just because it has more horsepower is absolutely ludicrous to me. I enjoy every minute of my commute now. When I reach my destination I am reluctant to get out of the car. I doubt seriously, that an Avalon would give me the same feeling.

Now I'm not suggesting an end to the horsepower rants. I rather enjoy them, and often learn something from them, but I just felt like someone needed to inject another perspective into this thread.
Great post.
Originally Posted by Sam Khoury
So 1SICKLEX, you don't think we'll see the GS350 in the 2007 model year? Do you think it will most likely come in 2009? My current lease is up December 1st and I've been debating whether or not to get the 2006 GS300 AWD because I'll be really upset if the GS350 AWD comes out the following year.
AmethySC makes a great point and it will debut whenever the new LS 460 debuts, b/c the GS will inherit that engine as well. Lexus will ramp up that engine production at the same time. So 2007 sounds about right, as a 2008 model.

Quick Reply: New Avalon has more power then gs-3