GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Satelite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 04:26 PM
BigDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96
SIRIUS:
NFL
NBA
NHL
NCAA Division 1 Baskteball
English Premier Soccer
Notre Dame and some other high profile colleges
Howard Stern
Martha Stewart
Nascar goes to SIRIUS in 2007

XM
MLB
Tennis
Golf
Some High Profile Colleges
Opie and Anthony (never heard of them until they went to XM)
Nascar is leaving at the end of 2006
Playboy (if your that hardup to have to listen to playboy radio, something is wrong) but yes im not bashing that is a nice little kicker to have in your channel lineup, but I wouldnt pay the extra 2.00 a month to get it.

Yes it is good that both are different. And when it comes to there music playlists they are extremely different. If you are looking to hear the hits then choose SIRIUS, if you are looking for in depth playlists and artists you have never heard of (which music buffs life) then get XM.

They both have Traffic and Weather, they both have commercial free music channels although XM followed SIRIUS in that arena and raised there price to match SIRIUS.

Yes XM has 4.7M subscribers and SIRIUS is not struggling by any means. I can see you avoided my post because Im sure you can tell that I know what Im talking about. There is a gap in subscribers because of the 18 month gap in service launch. You cant deny it. Do some research and you will see. SIRIUS has been gaining market share since it launched service. GM and Honda are shoving XM down all there customers throats because GM is a major investor in XM. Honda which just recently sold off most of there stake in XM was also a big investor however they are coming under pressure as the only japanese automaker who is exclusive. Nissan/Infinity and Toyota/Lexus are customer options, you pick what you want.

In the end both companies will be media giants. They will be the next Infinity and Viacom. They are still in there infancy stages. And yes, I guess they are both better then terrestrial radio, but honestly I really cant say that about XM, but there are other people who can.

By the ways Looknow congrats on the new baby.

Satellite Radio weather its XM or SIRIUS, will be standard in about 4 years in all cars. Remember when the CD player came out.

Oh and just so you dont think all I do is bash XM. XM just announced a new sleek Plug N Play unit that is really nice. It puts anything SIRIUS has right now to shame.

XM added more subscibers last quarter than sirius.
Old 08-09-05, 05:13 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by looknow12
You do need to remove the rear bumper. According to the guide, there is a wire harness placed below the bumper. If it was only about the antenna, why would you need to remove the bumper???

100% WRONG! You should really read and understand the instructions before making these false statements. The only reason you disconnect any connectors behind the bumper is so you can completely remove the bumper IF you have the park assist sensors built into it. You also remove a connector at the taillight to completely remove the taillight. The ONLY reason you remove the bumper and taillight is to run the antenna wire behind the tail light's lens and through a rubber grommet low on the body behind the bumper so you don't get water intrusion into the trunk as the water runs down the antenna lead.
If you plan on placing the antenna under the rear glass, on the rear shelf, THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE THE BUMPER AND TAIL LIGHT!!!!!
Old 08-09-05, 06:33 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Can't we all get along together?

RODNEY KING 1987

or was that ALAN KING 1956
Old 08-09-05, 08:21 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finished my install this afternoon

Took another 45 minutes. Total time to complete was about 1-1/2 hours. But to do it again would take no more than 30 minutes.

The interface is decent, but you don't get a category screen listing of channels, songs, artists like you do with a typical receiver. You must change to the channel and then press text to see the song title. Not certain if it's disabled when driving, I suspect it is.

Mely, the song titles and artists are cut off . This is subject to the limited interface Lexus has provided. Satellite radio appears to be somewhat of an after thought in the GEN4 systems. I say this because the interface is similar to traditional FM/AM radio, and a bit of CD. The Seek buttons, and type buttons are shared to move between channels. Type is supposed to be category. But when you change types, all it really does is skip to the first channel in that category. I would guess the next revision from Lexus will show things a bit clearer. We probably won't get this upgrade in our current vehicles though.

Sound quality is awesome. I turned on some entertainment channels and could hear the surround sound working quite well.
Old 08-09-05, 08:42 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
And your point is?

Yes XM added 640K subs and SIRIUS added 360K subs. SIRIUS' factory install program from Ford is barely starting right now. GM and Honda have been pushing XM for over a year. And you wonder why XM has more subs per quarter right now and overall.

FREAKIN IDIOT...........(NAPOLEON DYNAMITE)

what is that?

A Liger

Its like my favorite animal in the whole world

its a mix of a lion and a tiger bred from magic
Old 08-09-05, 08:47 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
Took another 45 minutes. Total time to complete was about 1-1/2 hours. But to do it again would take no more than 30 minutes.

The interface is decent, but you don't get a category screen listing of channels, songs, artists like you do with a typical receiver. You must change to the channel and then press text to see the song title. Not certain if it's disabled when driving, I suspect it is.

Mely, the song titles and artists are cut off . This is subject to the limited interface Lexus has provided. Satellite radio appears to be somewhat of an after thought in the GEN4 systems. I say this because the interface is similar to traditional FM/AM radio, and a bit of CD. The Seek buttons, and type buttons are shared to move between channels. Type is supposed to be category. But when you change types, all it really does is skip to the first channel in that category. I would guess the next revision from Lexus will show things a bit clearer. We probably won't get this upgrade in our current vehicles though.

Sound quality is awesome. I turned on some entertainment channels and could hear the surround sound working quite well.
That sucks *****. That is a very big disappointment for me. They should release a firmware upgrade to correct that problem. If the 07 even had the full charachter display I would get that and wait, but damn it. Oh well. At least its integrated into the system and I dont have to worry about a plug n play or using an FM transmitter. Cant have everything I guess. Even though I will be spending 60K on this freakin car.
Old 08-09-05, 08:54 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by costanza
100% WRONG! You should really read and understand the instructions before making these false statements. The only reason you disconnect any connectors behind the bumper is so you can completely remove the bumper IF you have the park assist sensors built into it. You also remove a connector at the taillight to completely remove the taillight. The ONLY reason you remove the bumper and taillight is to run the antenna wire behind the tail light's lens and through a rubber grommet low on the body behind the bumper so you don't get water intrusion into the trunk as the water runs down the antenna lead.
If you plan on placing the antenna under the rear glass, on the rear shelf, THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE THE BUMPER AND TAIL LIGHT!!!!!
Wow. You can really get yourself worked up. Tomorrow, I'll publish some of the pages of the manual and we can defer to that. I do apologize if I've gotten your blood pressure up. It's not a healthy thing.

You may be right, but if you take it to a dealer, I'd bet 9 in 10 will follow the letter in the instruction guide.
Old 08-09-05, 09:03 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Found it. OK, it;'s tomorrow

Here;s pages 3-4
Attached Thumbnails Satelite Radio-pg-3-4-xm.gif  
Old 08-09-05, 09:06 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Page 4 of the XM guide. "Remove the rear bumper figure 2-4"
Attached Thumbnails Satelite Radio-pg-4-xm.gif  
Old 08-09-05, 09:08 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Here's page 5. It states removing the upper trunk panels as well.
Attached Thumbnails Satelite Radio-pg-5-xm.gif  
Old 08-09-05, 09:11 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Here's page 6. Talks about removing the tail light. I believe this is what you were referring to.

Not certain why you've been so defensive. I only was referring to the guide. I never cited myself as the designer of the kit

Now, am I still 100% wrong, or have I graduated to 99% wrong?
Attached Thumbnails Satelite Radio-pg-6-xm.gif  
Old 08-09-05, 09:18 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, I see what you're saying about not having to remove the connectors in all cases, but it still cites the bumper removal. I guess this is only for running the antenna cable through the light. Poor kit instructions.

But ya still gotta lighten up.
Old 08-10-05, 06:05 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Sorry if I got rude, but if you really look/read the instructions, you can see that removing the bumper/tail light is purely for dressing the wire along/through the chassis.
The dealer may remove the bumper to do the install, but I hope they were knowledgable enough to inform the owner that the ugly antenna would sit like a wart on their beautiful car, and further suggest they be allowed to mount the antenna on the rear shelf, which wouldn't require bumper/tail light removal.
Old 08-10-05, 07:37 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

but I hope they were knowledgable enough to inform the owner that the ugly antenna would sit like a wart on their beautiful car, and further suggest they be allowed to mount the antenna on the rear shelf, which wouldn't require bumper/tail light removal.
See that's my fear. Despite everyone's intervention here with trying to stop this conversation, hopefully anyone interested in getting Sirius OR XM satellite radio for their GS is better informed through these series of posts.

I guarrantee you many dealers or doing it by the book. There's less liability for them, and they don't have to remember to contact the customer with another option. If there's a mess up, they can always say, I followed the instructions step by step.
Old 06-30-06, 05:47 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Update: 4th Quarter 06 and 1st quarter 07. Sirius added more subscribers.

Quick Reply: Satelite Radio