GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS 300 AWD or BMW 530xi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 08:00 PM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 GS 300 AWD or BMW 530xi?

Im having a lot of trouble choosing between the lexus or the bmw. I was out sunday and i saw a raw black bmw 525i, and then about 5 mintues later i saw a 06 GS AWD and for once i liked the bmw better, which was odd. My 93 GS 300 is getting old and i want to get something off of it before its too late. I really do like the BMW, and how advanced the AWD is on their, I like the fact that BMW has the BMW teleaid system that lexus does not have, but i like the DVD system that lexus has and the Pushstart, would someone give me advice on which on to choose?
Old 07-04-05, 08:08 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

You need to drive them both. Then, you need to decide what features are most important to you in a new vehicle. (i.e. price, handling, reliability, etc.)

I personally fell in love with the interior of the new GS and felt the driving dynamics were very acceptable for it's class. The 5 Series is a very nice ride and is sportier than the GS (at least w/ the sport package), but it will almost surely be more problematic than the Lexus and the interior on the new models looks quite cheap IMHO.
Old 07-04-05, 10:20 PM
619brick
Driver School Candidate

Default Feeling lucky?

Check out Edmonds.com and go to the BMW section, look under problems and solutions.

Can you say, "Assume the position."

Don't believe what anyone tells you, other than those who have them in their garage. (Or should I say the BMW dealer's garage). That forum will open your eyes, and scare the crap out of you!
I know it did for me. I was in love the 5 series until I went on there and read what these people are going through after dropping $ 60,OOO dollars. NO THANKS!
Fortunately my wife has a 1999 LX470 with 130,000 miles, and it drives absolutely flawless, and we haven't done a thing to it other than routine maintenance.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-05-05, 12:44 AM
ferix
Rookie

I was in the same position, but then I figured out I could get a GS430 for almost the same price as a 530i and the choice was a no brainer..
Old 07-05-05, 06:46 AM
GS430X6
Pole Position

I also considered the BMW5. When you compare the insides side by side it’s a no brainer. The Lexus looks, feels and functions like a Luxury car. The BMW reminds me of a 10K Honda Civic. The outside looks are about the same, however check the gaps between the hoods, doors etc., you will see once again the Lexus is built like a 60K car. As for resale Id say about the same. As for reliability, well just go to that web site 619Brick was talking about. Oh Yea! almost forgot, ever see a Lexus broke down on the side of the Road? I have not, but I have seen several BMW's in my day.

I should be a Lexus car salesman, No?....
Old 07-05-05, 05:13 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jarrett
Im having a lot of trouble choosing between the lexus or the bmw. I was out sunday and i saw a raw black bmw 525i, and then about 5 mintues later i saw a 06 GS AWD and for once i liked the bmw better, which was odd. My 93 GS 300 is getting old and i want to get something off of it before its too late. I really do like the BMW, and how advanced the AWD is on their, I like the fact that BMW has the BMW teleaid system that lexus does not have, but i like the DVD system that lexus has and the Pushstart, would someone give me advice on which on to choose?
Couple things.

The push start system will be part of E60 production from 9/05. Hence if you order one now, you should be able to order a 530Xi with comfort access function.

As far as Edmunds.com goes. Their forum is not worth reading because it has been biased since day one. Who ever pays more advertising on edmunds the editor will allow the forum to favor that way.

My suggestion is that you look at e60.net, this forum, and M35 forum to check the actual feedback from owners.

The 530Xi should only be just a step slower than GS430 (but GS430 does not come with all whee drive). You may want to check the M35 AWD out.

Personally, I will pick the M35 AWD over both 530Xi (pricing) and GS300 AWD (boring).
Old 07-06-05, 12:02 PM
HemantS
Driver

The BMW is slightly sportier but the Lexus has a better interior, exterior, and reliability.

Personally I don't like the bangled BMW's except maybe the new 3.
Old 07-06-05, 12:21 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I will not give you any advice on which car to pick as I have no personal experience with the BMW. However just like chaiwei said, go to E60.net and pose this exact same question and see what you get.

Also check the E60.net forum and see how current owners like the car and what problems they are reporting.

It is a given that the Lexus is more reliable, however if that is not your overiding concern, then you owe it to yourself to at least drive the BMW.

I sat in an M5 at the Detriot Auto Show early this year, and I was kinda dissappointed at the quality of the interior materials. Can you say - "cheap"? Well, that is all I could say. Plus the ergonomics were something else that would take some getting used to.

However having said all that, BMW is not having any problems selling the 5 -series, so perhaps everyone here (including myself) is baised against the BMW? I don't really know .....
Old 07-06-05, 04:19 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiawei
Couple things.

The push start system will be part of E60 production from 9/05. Hence if you order one now, you should be able to order a 530Xi with comfort access function.

As far as Edmunds.com goes. Their forum is not worth reading because it has been biased since day one. Who ever pays more advertising on edmunds the editor will allow the forum to favor that way.

My suggestion is that you look at e60.net, this forum, and M35 forum to check the actual feedback from owners.

The 530Xi should only be just a step slower than GS430 (but GS430 does not come with all whee drive). You may want to check the M35 AWD out.

Personally, I will pick the M35 AWD over both 530Xi (pricing) and GS300 AWD (boring).

Thats iT I cant stand no more!!!!!

Why do sales people from other car companies come in our forum and try to sell thier cars? It really eats me.

As for the edmunds statement, let me guess, you own a BMW? My wife owned a 2004 530 and we sold it because it was in the shop once a week.

Moderators, sorry for venting. But I was kinda nice.

Last edited by GS430X6; 07-06-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 07:12 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blah blah blah...... and GS300 AWD (boring).

Thanks for your input chia-pet!
Old 07-07-05, 08:57 AM
619brick
Driver School Candidate

Exactly. Yes, I'm sure people are forking out serious bucks in order to complain about their BMW's on Edmonds. That's a free forum!!! Hey, maybe Lexus and MB are paying people to act like they own BMW's and complain about them. Maybe there is some kind of conspiracy going on here to keep BMW's from infiltrating the US and Club Lexus!
Somebody please help!

Plainly put, educate yourself. Check out as many sites as you can, and ultimately, it is your decision and we all wish you good luck with it. But the conspiracy theory about paying money to complain? C'mon guys, get a life!
Old 07-07-05, 08:59 AM
619brick
Driver School Candidate

My bad, I mean Edmunds, not Edmonds.
Old 07-07-05, 09:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

It's not biased, it isn't favored to your likings. If you don't like it there don't read it. I quit reading the townhall because of the trolls that reside there and annoying consumer advocates that want to sue the manufacturer for a faulty light bulb.

We know you would pick other cars other than the new GS. There are other forums out there that cater to your favorite vehicles. You constantly make the same points over and over again like a broken record. We know you don't like the new GS, leave it at that.