GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Playing audio dvds

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 12:11 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Playing audio dvds

Anyone have experience burning their mp3's to dvd and playing them in the car? If so, can you answer the following:

Do you have to stop to play the dvd?
Do you have to stop to change tracks?
Is it more clear than regular cds?
What program did you use? nero?
Does the title and artist show up on the screen?
How many songs can you hold on one dvd.

thanks!
Old 07-06-05, 12:22 PM
stoshiro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK the GS can not play MP3s.

That would be cool if you could put mp3's onto a DVD.

I imagine you could have over a thousand songs on 1 DVD.
Old 07-06-05, 01:25 PM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DVD Audio

I use a program called Ulead Burn.Now 1.5 to burn my MP3s into a Audio-Only DVD Video. When you launch the program you select Create: Audio Disc and Disc Format: Audio-only DVD Video. In the next screen you select the format of Dolby Digital audio. Then you select your MP3s and eventually burn the DVD. I did a DVD with about 500 songs on a single layer DVD+R. The songs are organized by titles (up to 99) and each title has up to 99 chapters (songs). I was not able to arrange the DVD to have the titles associate with a discs and the chapters associate with tracks. The program fits 99 tracks per title so 500 songs consist of 6 titles, the first 5 are 99 chapters-tracks each and the last one has only 5 chapters-tracks.

It plays the songs sequentially and displays the title and chapter numbers. When you drive, you can move between chapters up and down until you get to a title boundary. If you move forward, it will start with the first song of the next title (so for example when you start, you are in title #1 and you play the chapters 1-99. You can move forward and backward with the CD track buttons. Once you reach chapter-track 99, it will move to chapter-track 1 on title # 2). However, if you try to go backward, once it reaches the title boundary, it will revert to chapter-track 1 of the previous title rather than chapter-track 99.

When you stop you will see the song name on a dark background and also you can move easily between titles.

The quality is pretty good, I assume similar to the original MP3 quality. On the whole it is a pretty good way to play music on a long trip where everything plays sequentially. If you try to select different CDs and/or DVDs, the next DVD will start again from song 1 and you will need to do a lot of button pushing to get back to the last song you were playing before (especialy if you already reached some later songs)
Old 07-06-05, 04:24 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Great info! Thanks!
Old 08-05-05, 04:12 PM
ACLC
Driver School Candidate

"I use a program called Ulead Burn.Now 1.5 to burn my MP3s into a Audio-Only DVD Video"

Can't you use the DVD-Audio setting to make your DVD? Do DVD+RW's work in the ML system?
Old 08-16-05, 05:11 PM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 GS....obviously this wouldnt work for my player, correct? Becuase it doesnt play MP3's.

Is there a way to make an AUDIO DVD (with mp3 converted songs)?
Old 08-17-05, 09:01 AM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DVD Audio and Audio Only DVD Video

One can burn audio into DVD discs and play it in the audio system of the GS300/430. My understanding and experience have been as follows:

1. I tried single layer (4.7GB) DVD-R and DVD+R discs and both worked fine. I did not try DVD+/-RW nor dual layer discs.
2. DVD-Audio gives you about 6 hrs. of music on a single layer DVD disc (about 6-7 albums) since it utilizes LPCM (uncompressed) audio in the DVD. If your music source are the original CDs, you will maintain the original quality of the audio since it has not been compressed. However, if you convert from MP3 to LPCM, the quality should be similar to the MP3 quality at best.
3. Audio only DVD Video, allows you to use Dolby Digila Audio which is a compressed audio. For stereo (2-channels) its compression and data rate is quite similar to a "high quality" MP3. A single layer DVD disc can hold more than 50 hrs. of music.

So far I burned 3 different Audio only DVD Video discs, with about 500 songs each, out of my MP3 collection. These discs play fine in my wife's GS430. The big issue is the navigation through such a large number of songs. If you play it sequentially (as you might in a long road trip), there is no problem. But to get to a specific track you need to push the up/down track button If you stop and engage the parking brake, the titles are displayed on the screen and you can navigate through the albums and songs. But while in motion the video portion, including the ability to use the DVD controls is very limited. Luckily, if you organize the disc into chapters (tracks) and titles (albums), once you scroll through all the chapters (tracks) in a title, the subsequent immediate up (or down) button push will start scrolling through titles.

Also, because of the difficulties of of defining chapter and title boundaries in Ulead, I found another program audio-dvd-creator (www.audio-dvd-creator.com) that allows you to organize the DVD disc with titles=albums (rather the 99 songs in Ulead). So now in order to reach a given track, I scroll through the song in an album, then through the albums.
Old 08-17-05, 10:48 AM
shiznak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idg
One can burn audio into DVD discs and play it in the audio system of the GS300/430. My understanding and experience have been as follows:

1. I tried single layer (4.7GB) DVD-R and DVD+R discs and both worked fine. I did not try DVD+/-RW nor dual layer discs.
2. DVD-Audio gives you about 6 hrs. of music on a single layer DVD disc (about 6-7 albums) since it utilizes LPCM (uncompressed) audio in the DVD. If your music source are the original CDs, you will maintain the original quality of the audio since it has not been compressed. However, if you convert from MP3 to LPCM, the quality should be similar to the MP3 quality at best.
3. Audio only DVD Video, allows you to use Dolby Digila Audio which is a compressed audio. For stereo (2-channels) its compression and data rate is quite similar to a "high quality" MP3. A single layer DVD disc can hold more than 50 hrs. of music.

So far I burned 3 different Audio only DVD Video discs, with about 500 songs each, out of my MP3 collection. These discs play fine in my wife's GS430. The big issue is the navigation through such a large number of songs. If you play it sequentially (as you might in a long road trip), there is no problem. But to get to a specific track you need to push the up/down track button If you stop and engage the parking brake, the titles are displayed on the screen and you can navigate through the albums and songs. But while in motion the video portion, including the ability to use the DVD controls is very limited. Luckily, if you organize the disc into chapters (tracks) and titles (albums), once you scroll through all the chapters (tracks) in a title, the subsequent immediate up (or down) button push will start scrolling through titles.

Also, because of the difficulties of of defining chapter and title boundaries in Ulead, I found another program audio-dvd-creator (www.audio-dvd-creator.com) that allows you to organize the DVD disc with titles=albums (rather the 99 songs in Ulead). So now in order to reach a given track, I scroll through the song in an album, then through the albums.
ditto. Keep in mind, that with audio-dvd-creator, you must either purchase or crack it. Otherwise, you are limited to only 5 tracks per chapter or something like that.

The end result is great. I have up to 500 songs on one dvd, and I don't need to be in park w/ e-brake to play it. When I put a normal dvd in my changer w/out the e-brake being applied, only the music tracks play. This is essentially the same concept.
Old 10-28-05, 11:46 AM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

I can't seem to get the audio dvd to play in my gs 300. I am using audio dvd creator on test mode (just the 5 mps). NOthing comes out of the GS300 when I put it in (although it does read a dvd). What is the correct rate and format to use? Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks
Old 10-30-05, 06:05 AM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

Got it to work. Is there anyway to shuffle mode this? I have used DVD Welder to make dvd-a and shuffle those, but you are limited on the amout of songs you can put on the dvd. Audio DVD would allow all the songs I need, but I don't see a shuffle option when I put the DVD in the player.

Thanks, Jim
Old 10-30-05, 07:06 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brn2rnjk1
Got it to work. Is there anyway to shuffle mode this? I have used DVD Welder to make dvd-a and shuffle those, but you are limited on the amout of songs you can put on the dvd. Audio DVD would allow all the songs I need, but I don't see a shuffle option when I put the DVD in the player.

Thanks, Jim
Unfortunately, no. That's the biggest drawback of the program.
Old 05-01-06, 04:15 PM
GFC350
Rookie

So if you are using audio dvd creator and you burn a dvd audio disc. Some members are saying its a pain in the butt to have to scroll through all the songs one by one. What happens if you perform the Nav/Bluetooth hack which allows dvd playback while moving? Will this allow you to pull up the menu to the Dvd audio disc for easier navigation for song selections? I had seen a member mention that he could navigate when the E brake was on....
Old 05-01-06, 04:39 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFC350
So if you are using audio dvd creator and you burn a dvd audio disc. Some members are saying its a pain in the butt to have to scroll through all the songs one by one. What happens if you perform the Nav/Bluetooth hack which allows dvd playback while moving? Will this allow you to pull up the menu to the Dvd audio disc for easier navigation for song selections? I had seen a member mention that he could navigate when the E brake was on....

If you have the DVD bypass then yes you can play audio DVD's and navigate through the songs while in motion. I do it all of the time and the program I use to burn audio DVD's is "Audio DVD Creator." I love the program, it does a nice job putting 300 mp3's on one DVD disc. Very easy to use, just like any other music burning program.
Old 05-01-06, 08:15 PM
james1017
Rookie

Yes I have. My wife burned the cd for me. yes it does show the title and artist and I think it is 100 songs. I don't know what program she used, but I had one problem. It was keep getting stuck once in a while and you have to take out the cd and put it in again and it starts from the biginning. It was frustrating for me, so I stop playing that cd. I wouldn't recommend to do this.

QUOTE=frebay]Anyone have experience burning their mp3's to dvd and playing them in the car? If so, can you answer the following:

Do you have to stop to play the dvd?
Do you have to stop to change tracks?
Is it more clear than regular cds?
What program did you use? nero?
Does the title and artist show up on the screen?
How many songs can you hold on one dvd.

thanks![/QUOTE]
Old 05-01-06, 09:47 PM
GFC350
Rookie

Raptor1, so you can navigate through the audio dvd disc via touchscreen with menus just like the ones you see in the audio dvd creator program then? So al the issues that others were stating about having to scroll through soungs one at a time is eliminated with the nav hack then..... sweet Nav hack will be done very soon. Thanks

Quick Reply: Playing audio dvds