GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Main Lights connected with ON/OFF button?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 12:19 AM
claudioc66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Main Lights connected with ON/OFF button?

Dear All,

I have just joined this club, and found there are some really interesting information.

I have received my GS430 one month ago and have aked my dealer if it was possible to program the main lights (I am not sure how you call them!) so that they are always on when the engine is on. The answer was that it is not possible.
I find it frustrating as I managed to have my previous BMW328 (1998!) programmed as I like.

What I would like to have is my lights alwayn on, also during the day, without depending on the AUTO mode; but also I hate to have to remeber to put them off once I stop the car.

I do think that having the lights on is making my car much more visible, preventing incidents.

any solution?
Old 07-12-05, 09:20 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i dont know about you, but i want my daytime running lights to be turned off...anyway to turn that off?
Old 07-12-05, 09:45 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by claudioc66
Dear All,

I have just joined this club, and found there are some really interesting information.

I have received my GS430 one month ago and have aked my dealer if it was possible to program the main lights (I am not sure how you call them!) so that they are always on when the engine is on. The answer was that it is not possible.
I find it frustrating as I managed to have my previous BMW328 (1998!) programmed as I like.

What I would like to have is my lights alwayn on, also during the day, without depending on the AUTO mode; but also I hate to have to remeber to put them off once I stop the car.

I do think that having the lights on is making my car much more visible, preventing incidents.

any solution?

just leave it on auto and forget about it. your drls will add visibilty to other drivers during the day, that's what they are there for.
Old 07-13-05, 09:06 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

I had the dealer change the setting on the headlights so they go off when the engine is turned off and the driver door opened. This is the way our '95GS worked and we preferred it. We ran it with the lights on all the time but now with the '06 having daytime running lights we just leave the main headlights on Auto.

Sounds like this would give you the result you're after.
Old 07-13-05, 12:01 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by claudioc66
Dear All,

any solution?
Claudio may not have daytime running lights in Italy. If not, they are probably just programmed in the "off" position. Maybe they can be turned on?
Old 07-13-05, 12:43 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With both of our GS's (and my ES), we just leave the headlights in "ON" position, and they turn off automatically. You can either use the remote and hit "Lock" twice and it will turn the lights off then and there. Or you can use the doorhandle button and the headlights will turn off after 30 seconds, as long as all doors and the trunk are closed.
Old 07-13-05, 01:07 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheRupp
With both of our GS's (and my ES), we just leave the headlights in "ON" position, and they turn off automatically. You can either use the remote and hit "Lock" twice and it will turn the lights off then and there. Or you can use the doorhandle button and the headlights will turn off after 30 seconds, as long as all doors and the trunk are closed.
door handle button?
man i need to go back to the dealership to figure out the rest of the features
Old 07-13-05, 01:24 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to check the second generation GS forum and see if it is possible to install DRLs on my 99 GS4. I have one of those rare GS4s with HID and NO DRLs. I thought it was strange, since my first 99 GS4 had both HID and DRL. I checked the wiring and sure enough in the fuse box there is no wiring for the relay.

The first one was a California car, and this one is an ARIZONA car. Sure wished I had them.
Old 07-13-05, 01:37 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gserep1
I will have to check the second generation GS forum and see if it is possible to install DRLs on my 99 GS4. I have one of those rare GS4s with HID and NO DRLs. I thought it was strange, since my first 99 GS4 had both HID and DRL. I checked the wiring and sure enough in the fuse box there is no wiring for the relay.

The first one was a California car, and this one is an ARIZONA car. Sure wished I had them.
It's a C-BEST setting whether the DRL's are on or off. Do a search and you can learn more.
Old 07-13-05, 01:43 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ex996
It's a C-BEST setting whether the DRL's are on or off. Do a search and you can learn more.
are you sure about that? I've seen quite a few threads on drls and I've never heard that unless it's something new for 3rd gen. if so, forgive me
Old 07-13-05, 01:48 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the light switch at the "ON" position instead of "AUTO". The light will turn automatically turn off after close all the doors.
Old 07-13-05, 02:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sung35
Leave the light switch at the "ON" position instead of "AUTO". The light will turn automatically turn off after close all the doors.
I think it does the same thing on auto
Old 07-13-05, 02:27 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The different between "AUTO" and "ON" is when the light switch is in the "ON" position, the head light, or someone called it the main light, will be on regardless of night or day. In "AUTO" mode, the head light will lit only when it is dark outside.
Old 07-13-05, 02:31 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sung35
The different between "AUTO" and "ON" is when the light switch is in the "ON" position, the head light, or someone called it the main light, will be on regardless of night or day. In "AUTO" mode, the head light will lit only when it is dark outside.
I knew that, I was referring to the lights shutting off when the door is shut.
Old 07-13-05, 11:06 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
are you sure about that? I've seen quite a few threads on drls and I've never heard that unless it's something new for 3rd gen. if so, forgive me
You know, I may have been thinking about 2nd gen. I wish someone would post the 3 Gen C-BEST settings.

Quick Reply: Main Lights connected with ON/OFF button?