GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Crazy for wanting a GS 430 in CT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 08:47 PM
MrAce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy for wanting a GS 430 in CT?

Okay, I want a GS 430. I live in western CT, where it snows.

I also live on a hill, with a very real grade to it. My Audi A4 Quattro skids down it when I hit the brakes in snow / ice. Although I never take off my Vredestein Ultrac tires...

I have hear fantasy rumors that the GS 430 with a good set of Blizzacks is a decent car in the snow and on ice, but I am not really sure given the laws of physics.

I don't want the GS 300 AWD because it's just not the same car. It's not even the same car with a lesser engine. It's a beautiful and high performing car, but it's not a GS 430.

I don't want to go lease or buy a GS 430 and then be dead in the winter upon first snow with frozen roads (we are taking Route 84 around Danbury, CT).

Does anyone have any real experience on snowy and / or icey roads with their 430?

Thanks for any feedback!

PS - I just moved to CT last year from San Diego, so that may be the justification for state of denial...

Last edited by MrAce; 07-22-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-22-05, 09:41 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont have any feedback but maybe you should wait for the GS350 with AWD. it may be out late summer/fall of 06.
Old 07-22-05, 11:44 PM
MrAce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
I dont have any feedback but maybe you should wait for the GS350 with AWD. it may be out late summer/fall of 06.
Do you know if it will have the breaking system that the 430 has, along with VDIM?
Old 07-22-05, 11:46 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there is are a few threads about the 430 in snow and the effectiveness of VDIM. if i recall correctly, they were positive reviews, but not sure how it would stack up in your neighborhood conditions. do a search here, they are older threads (probably from feb/march 05), but might have some answers for you.

other than that, you might have to wait for this winter to get real life concrete answers about snow performance. there wasn't enough winter since launch to good data on it unfortunately.

p.s. i'm from san diego too hope the move to CT went well!
Old 07-22-05, 11:46 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GS hasn't really been out in any wintery situations yet (unless you live in parts of Alaska). I'd have to say that the braking system on the 430 is much friendlier to dry pavement than it is to snow. I expect this car to be nothing short of a roller skate in the snow.
Old 07-22-05, 11:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MrAce, you might want to ask 400/430 owners in the 2nd gen GS forum the same question. I think there are some old threads regarding the GS and snow. My intuition is that the 430 would be sitting in your garage for a majority of the winter based on your descriptions.

Not sure about VDIM on the 350. I think it's only currently available on the 430 right now. But since it's also going to be on the IS350, the technology make trickle down to all future models. I know that there were past rumors about a future AWD V8 GS, but who knows if that will ever happen.

Ha, I actually just moved back to San Diego. It's hard to beat the weather down here. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 07-23-05, 07:28 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

I think with snow tires you will do just fine in 95% of the driving conditions you might encounter....IF you drive cautiously. Americans seem to have this notion that they must have AWD to get around in the winter which is simply not true in most cases. Look at Germany and Russia, they've been driving RWD vehicles in the snow for decades. The correct tires make all the difference in the world IMHO. Get some 17" wheels with some good snow tires from the Tire Rack and you'll be good to go!

On a side note, do a search for posts made by Rockville. I believe he posted back in March/April about the effectiveness of VDIM in snow. It seems like a really good stability control system, but under your driving conditions it would still be wise to get snow tires too IMHO.

Last edited by jwaters; 07-23-05 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 11:46 AM
pelucidor
Driver School Candidate

This is what Rockville said back on 24 Feb:

Originally Posted by Rockville
It started snowing here in DC early this morning but really didn't start to stick until this evening. I thought this would be an opportunity to test out The AWD GS300 and the GS430 with VDIM and see how they fared. We have about 5 inches on the ground now and the streets are slick. Here goes....

I pushed the start button on our Matador Red AWD with Mark Lev. etc. Our back lot which slopes away was mostly empty except for a few service cars. I drove the GS300 slowly in circles until I felt where the traction started to break. The 17" all season run flats had good pull up the hill when going straight. It was very responsive to the throttle. When I took a u turn the rear would swing out like a RWD car. At low speeds the VSC didn't really kick in. After getting a feel for it I drove out on the road and as long as I didn't make a sudden throttle change or hard turn it was very stable. It had a little oversteer drift but it was totally manageable. When I got on it and took a turn the VSC would kick in to bring me back in line but in a fairly wide arc. I was trying to test the limits which a normal driver might not do in the snow....

I dusted the snow off our Black GS430 with 18" runflat all seasons. We have these orange foam squeegee things on broom handles that are made for removing snow. I took it to the back lot and tried the same circles that I had just made tracks with the AWD. I found that I actually had much more control in the turns than the AWD! It would automatically slow me down so I coudn't over accelerate. I tried a few straight up the hill runs. It proceeded slowly up the hill with no wheelspin. I had it floored but it wouldn't listen to my bad advice. Then I took it out on the street. It stayed under control when I pulled out and I forgot for a second that I was in the RWD. I accelerated up the Rockville Pike and the only thing I noticed was the VDIM amber light blinking. I felt the slightest waiver but that was it. I was cruising on the crust with abandon. VDIM is the bomb! I could get used to this and I'm glad my GS owners will not get into trouble with the steering in the snow. The car was unshakable and if I took a turn a little too fast it just started chiming and corrected itself. The arc was smaller and straighter. The only thing it couldn't do as well as the AWD was going straight up hill. The AWD had faster acceleration for this reason. Now if I only had a set of studded tires I think I could take the AWD on. I am definitely a believer now... In VDIM we trust.
Old 07-23-05, 12:47 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. That makes me wonder about the IS350 again...
Old 07-23-05, 05:51 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well you already know of about snow tires...so I have two other thoughts for you.
A6 4.2
STS AWD

I would test drive both of these and consider them seriously if I lived where you did.
Old 07-23-05, 07:24 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

well, with proper snow tires I had no problems with the snow storm that hit Canada this year.
Old 07-23-05, 08:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,342 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Snow is one thing but..... nothing without chains is good on ICE !
Old 07-24-05, 04:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

VDIM kicks azz, but at the same time it is still RWD. So you will be slower up hills and at the same time it will be harder to go off road due to much better traction control in VDIM.

Take notice that Rockvilles review was with normal and not snow tires, so you should be set to go with snow tires + GS430...
Old 07-24-05, 05:49 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgscott
Snow is one thing but..... nothing without chains is good on ICE !
Ever heard of studded snow tires?
Old 07-25-05, 12:04 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's my Snow Review.

I'm from CT, the Fairfield County Area.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154060

Quick Reply: Crazy for wanting a GS 430 in CT?