GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vibration is steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 12:32 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration is steering wheel

At idle, car in gear, I can feel a vibration resignating thought the steering column into my hands when placed on the steering wheel. Goes away when I raise the idle a few RPM'S. Dealer said its normal so I said then why did it start now and not when it was new? blah!. Any of you 430 owners notice this?

I've also had a few more problems with this car. Like, weird transmission operation, smells damp when the Air conditioner is turned on, tire pressure light keeps coming on, a few rattles here and there and all this with only 3500 miles. I'm starting to get a little discouraged. Feel like I threw 58k out the window sorta speak. Maybe BMW's not so bad after all?
Old 07-26-05, 01:46 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430X6
At idle, car in gear, I can feel a vibration resignating thought the steering column into my hands when placed on the steering wheel. Goes away when I raise the idle a few RPM'S. Dealer said its normal so I said then why did it start now and not when it was new? blah!. Any of you 430 owners notice this?

I've also had a few more problems with this car. Like, weird transmission operation, smells damp when the Air conditioner is turned on, tire pressure light keeps coming on, a few rattles here and there and all this with only 3500 miles. I'm starting to get a little discouraged. Feel like I threw 58k out the window sorta speak. Maybe BMW's not so bad after all?
Sorry to hear about your problems.

1. No steering wheel vibration on my GS. I'll look out for this.
2. I had the same AC problem on my '99 GS...yuck. Had the dealership spray something into the vents every 6 months or so to rectify the problem.
3. Rattles? Yup, found a couple on my new GS. One is coming from the passenger door area where it meets the dash and the second is coming from somewhere in the rear deck I think. I'll have my dealership look into this during my 5k service.

None of these issues are too major, but bothersome nontheless. Hopefully your dealer can fix the problems. I guess these are the risks we take in purchasing cars in their first model year. But at least we're ensuring future GS's will be rock solid
Old 07-26-05, 02:29 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. no steering wheel vibration; but some in my seat at 75-80mph, need to get a wheel balance i think (i've already replaced one tire, that may be the problem)

2. what do you mean by smells damp? like mildew? mine blows nice clean air, still a new car smell (i have 5500mi)

3. tire pressure light - you sure you don't have a nail somewhere? at first i thought my sensor was busted too, but i actually had a slow leak in 1 tire that eventually had to be replaced.

4. rattles - very few, and intermittent, cannot duplicate all the time. usually more rattles when the car has been baking in the sun and the plastic is still expanding/contracting i guess.

5. other - frebay previously mentioned the wind noise being greater when the moonroof shade is open. i definitely agree. obviously the shade is going to do a better job at dampening the wind noise, but i am surprised that the wind noise isn't better sealed in the moonroof. (this is true in my RX as well. i think it might just be the design)
Old 07-26-05, 10:22 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had a few probs with my gs300 as well but luckily my dealership has bent over backward to fix all of them.
headrest plastic backing seperating-fixed
rear camera flickering-fixed
rear passenger light housing fell out-fixed
the air conditioner did smell like vinegar the first 3000 miles or so, but right when i was about to complain to the dealership it stopped. smells clean all the time now. i think the ac system and vents just had to cure?

the one complain i have with my gs is the funky transmission when travelling at very low speeds like in a parking lot. very confusing when both the tranny and i are trying to think and adjust at the same time. just let me control the damn car!
other than that i am extremely satisfied with the new gs.