GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

screen went dim on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 10:11 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default screen went dim on me

Hi All,
Anyone have a problem where the screem gets darker or dimmer. My screen flickered today while I was driving and now it's constantly dim.
Old 07-27-05, 10:24 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

warranty time
Old 07-27-05, 10:37 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by foofighter
warranty time
i know...
this along w/:
constant alignment issue
windnoise leaking in from sunroof
flickering rear view camera
back panel headrest falling off

I thought i bought a lexus.
Old 07-28-05, 09:33 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frebay
i know...
this along w/:
constant alignment issue
windnoise leaking in from sunroof
flickering rear view camera
back panel headrest falling off

I thought i bought a lexus.
You bought a model in it's first year of production. I've read/heard never to buy a car in it's first year of production because it usually takes the first year or so to work out all the production bugs on the assembly line.

Also, the dashboard dimming was a problem in the 2nd generation GS. It happened to me a couple of times but it went away on it's own.
Old 07-28-05, 11:03 AM
clexusking
Driver

Just out of curiosity,. did you have the windows tinted or do you have any parking permits on the dash/rear view mirror. I believe there are sensors around the cabin to adjust the display according to the outside ambient light.
Old 07-28-05, 11:30 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You probably didn't do this...but did you adjust the instrument panel brightness? Is the exterior lighting sensor working? Is night mode on? And did you try adjusting brightness settings, or deactivating the screen and reactivating it? Just checking before you sent it in.
Old 07-28-05, 12:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by clexusking
Just out of curiosity,. did you have the windows tinted or do you have any parking permits on the dash/rear view mirror. I believe there are sensors around the cabin to adjust the display according to the outside ambient light.
that's correct. That sensor is located right below the rear third brake light:

Old 07-28-05, 04:57 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clexusking
it's not the dashbaord, just the navi screen. the map turned into a shade of black. it was weird.
Old 07-28-05, 07:13 PM
bigzip
Driver

it's not the dashbaord, just the navi screen. the map turned into a shade of black. it was weird.
Maybe you have it on night mode. Push Disp then make sure day mode is highlighted.
Old 07-28-05, 07:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plese give us more info. My nav screen will dimming itself when I go underpath and turned the nav screen into " Night Mode" and brighten up after the car passed the overpath.

Are you the only driver of this car?
Old 07-28-05, 10:59 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigzip
Maybe you have it on night mode. Push Disp then make sure day mode is highlighted.
Last night when this happened, I thought it might have been a display problem, so I went to display and saw a night mode button. Today, I don't see that night mode button anymore. How do I enable the night mode button? I tried turning on the headlights, but the night mode button didn't show up. Also when I pressed the light mode button, the screen became faded. When I pressed it again, the screen turned very dark.
Old 07-29-05, 04:22 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last night when this happened, I thought it might have been a display problem, so I went to display and saw a night mode button. Today, I don't see that night mode button anymore. How do I enable the night mode button? I tried turning on the headlights, but the night mode button didn't show up. Also when I pressed the light mode button, the screen became faded. When I pressed it again, the screen turned very dark.
If you adjust the instrument light control to " MAX" the Day Mode or Night Mode will not show on the Display menu. The light mode switch give you the ability to adjust the brightness of the cluster, nav screen and so on. That why they give you the arrow up and arrow down to suit your driving condition and your eyes.

Please refer to the owner's manual page 252 and Nav's manual page 113. There's a misprint that tell you about turn the light control switch all the way to the right, actually they're saying if you press the " MAX" buttom the Day Mode or Night Mode will dissappear.

If you don't want your screen to flickering just press the MAX buttom. If the MAX setting is too bright for you then you just press the arrow key, but the screen will become very sensitive to the light.

You can go to " MENU", select Screen Setting, scroll down until you see Day Mode or Night Mode and you will see the high light said " Normal", under that you can adjust the setting from 1 to 4 depending on how you like your screen to be darker or brighter.
Old 07-29-05, 11:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's the ol' Night Mode and dashboard lighting thing again, then its not uncommon. There have been posts about this, such as the time the cabin lights wouldn't go on because the instrument panel light was set to MIN lowest, and the time the Night Mode refused to come on because the light was set on MAX.
Old 07-31-05, 06:45 AM
lebaron97
Driver School Candidate

Can some1 tell me what the red button is for on the keyfob in Flipside's picture? Don't have that on my (Dutch) keyfob (as many other options on the European '06 GS430 btw)
Old 07-31-05, 07:03 AM
bigzip
Driver

Originally Posted by lebaron97
Can some1 tell me what the red button is for on the keyfob in Flipside's picture? Don't have that on my (Dutch) keyfob (as many other options on the European '06 GS430 btw)
The red button is the "panic" alarm.