GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ok serious now, the hidden panel is a BIG mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default ok serious now, the hidden panel is a BIG mistake....

ok don't smack me, i got a story to tell

i was at the dealership last weekend, and i showed my parents and wife the new gs and gadgets here and there. of course i had to show them to hidden panel for all the gas cap, trunk, etc....

i then proceed to pop opened the trunk and then showed them the trunk size. to make it easy for me to get out of the car, i close down the hidden panel.

when i was showing the trunk, there comes this lady with her family and i guess she wanted to show them the car as well and how nice it is, etc.... i didn't pay attention to her. and last of all i showed my parents the nice feature on the trunk when closing (auto shut).

after that, i heard that lady said (btw, she's chines and she talked in cantonese like i did), "yeah this is a nice car, hey let's look at the trunk. let me go open it up"

she walked to the driver side, and i started to stand back with my wife and "enjoyed the show". for the longest time she was searching, sniffing, touching, and pulling everything in her sight and she couldn't find the "button".

well i guess she was so frustrated (knowing i somehow opened the trunk and i speak cantonese and we were watching), she finally found something to PULL on, and POP, the hood popped opened

at this point me and my wife almost cried already but we tried very hard to hide it. i could see her wtf face and started walking to the hood, opened it up, and said "wow, nice engine. ummm i wonder this gs300 is good on gas or not....."

it said gs430 at the back of the car.
Old 07-28-05, 01:09 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
she walked to the driver side, and i started to stand back with my wife and "enjoyed the show". for the longest time she was searching, sniffing, touching, and pulling everything in her sight and she couldn't find the "button".
Way to be helpful Henry

Watch out, the drop down panel can be dangerous at times. I once forgot to close the panel and was in a hurry to exit the car and bam...major pain to the knee. Lesson learned, I always remember to shut the panel now.
Old 07-28-05, 01:15 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henry, next time you should take a video camera with you!!!
Old 07-28-05, 01:26 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Way to be helpful Henry

Watch out, the drop down panel can be dangerous at times. I once forgot to close the panel and was in a hurry to exit the car and bam...major pain to the knee. Lesson learned, I always remember to shut the panel now.
Yup it got me as well....i wish the trunk release and gas cover buttons were not located there but were more accessible...all the other seldomly used buttons (folding mirrors, rear shade, headlight washers, trip info, mirror adjustments, dash lighting schemes) could stay....
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Way to be helpful Henry

hahaha well, given the kind of personality that lady is, probably if i offer help she would have taken it very offensively right?

and yeah, when i sat in the car for the first time i noticed about the panel in the way, that's way i closed it before getting out of the car. man i should have let it open, at least that would have been a clue to her
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Richie
Henry, next time you should take a video camera with you!!!
hahhaa gosh rich, even with a camcorder i am not sure if i could hold it at all
Old 07-28-05, 01:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow....wasn't there any salesperson there to help?

Henry...at some point, didn't u feel like helping ur countryman (in this case...a woman) out? LOL!!! just kiddin.

I know the feeling...sometimes...ppl come across being a "know-it-all". Im sure she was a prime example.

Pete
Old 07-28-05, 01:38 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, oh man. Only if I was there.
Old 07-28-05, 01:39 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's too bad the lady had too much face to save and couldn't just ask you where the trunk release was? I mean, she saw that you had opened it, but she never asked you when she couldn't find it?

After she closed the hood, did she eventually find it?
Old 07-28-05, 01:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kingkong5
It's too bad the lady had too much face to save and couldn't just ask you where the trunk release was? I mean, she saw that you had opened it, but she never asked you when she couldn't find it?

After she closed the hood, did she eventually find it?
hahah i didn't think so, we were about to leave the dealership anyway

yeah that was a very busy weekend at the dealership i guess, all sales were very busy, i was surprised. but actually i liked that coz' i didn't need any sales around me.

and yeah i know i was bad for not showing her, but yup, being a "know it all" lady, i was probably better off not doing anything
Old 07-28-05, 01:49 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, being a "know it all" lady, i was probably better off not doing anything
yeah I know that type. The ones we call "auntie" even though we're not really related? Isn't our language fun?

she'd probably get all mad at you and tell your parents you have no manners if you tried to upstage her and tell her where to find the buttons. Usually I'm really quick to help people who look lost, but sometimes, like in this case, it's better to just hang back.
Old 07-28-05, 01:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're an evil man Henry Funny guy though I wish they made the hidden box in the GS like the ones in the RX330s. That way you can cover it up for the clean look, but since it is flush, you can leave it open if you want and it wont get in the way. Either design takes up about the same amount of space as well.
Old 07-28-05, 02:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Considering the thread of this title I was fearing someone had broken the panel off!!! So it was just a misunderstanding...and btw I've opened the hood a few times myself in unfamilar cars, while struggling trying to find the trunk release.

I too would have enjoyed watching that...but I might have stepped in and done my best Lexus expert imitation...

Last edited by encore888; 07-28-05 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 03:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Talking

Nice story LOL, if it's me, I probably would've done the same too . . .
Old 07-29-05, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

ah man now you guys are making me feel bad for not "helping". ok i will go there again this weekend, hopefully she's still looking for the botton there

Quick Reply: ok serious now, the hidden panel is a BIG mistake....