GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2005 All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport Sedan comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 07:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

WOW...........That review was not good at all for the new GS.

I agree and disagree with parts of this review, but for a brand new model from a great comany like Lexus to finsh LAST in a comparison is embarassing.

Lexus has got to step up BIG TIME. Why cant they realize the GS is a damn SPORT SEDAN and make it sporty or at the very least offer a SPORT OPTION. Also, the engines are WEAK. There is no good reason that the $26k Toyota Avalon has a better engine than a $50k+ GS........NONE.

As far as interior/exterior styling and features/options, I would rather have the GS than any of the other cars............BUT those FUGLY 17in wheels ruin the whole appearance of the car.
Old 07-31-05, 05:26 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess everyone has their opinion...but I wouldnt trade my GS right now for any of those.
Old 07-31-05, 09:42 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... i wasn't expecting the GS to get spanked that hard. But as far as the performance categories go... I see why the GS brings up the rear. I've taken extended test drives of both the new GS3 and the 530.... the GS in stock form isn't nearly as sporty. Its a MUCH MUCH more luxurious car than the 530, but when it comes to "sport sedan" i can kinda see how it may not all be there. The new 3.5L engine will surely take care of the accleration, but I really think Lexus needs to offer a Sport Package on GS3 and GS4 that offer aggressive enough suspension to handle like the M45 or 5-series.
Old 07-31-05, 12:11 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

This review is completely opposite to the one edmunds wrote five months ago.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104808

Now they're complaining about build quality and interior materials.
Old 07-31-05, 06:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
This review is completely opposite to the one edmunds wrote five months ago.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104808

Now they're complaining about build quality and interior materials.
Exactly. This is a perfect example of why car reviews are mostly opinion ... not much objective facts or observations. It was their opinion the car was soft and was not sporty, even though it got a pretty decent 0 - 60 time. How would they define sporty? Other reviews hailed the GS300 AWD as more fun to toss around than the GS430 due to lack of VDIM. It was their opinion that the Audi looked better, and it was DEFINITELY their opinion about build quality and interior materials.

I mean reviews can't really create blatant lies; if a car has incredible build quality and materials, you can't really say anything bad about it ... but wow, Edmunds has shocked me and no doubt others by saying exactly that.

I have personally sat in a new GS300 and a GS430, and they both have the same interior quality. That is to say, the plastics are of great quality, I was amazed at how nice the plastics felt and just with the overall feel of all the buttons and switches. I was also impressed by the fit and finish and how the different parts of the interior came together so seamlessly, especially in complex ways. With such a stylish interior, it also boggled my mind as to how first rate the ergonomics were.

It's as if the GS300 they tested had a magically different interior than the GS430 they tested a while back.

I wonder if they will get bombed by hate mail from gen 3 GS owners about the blatant lie they made about the interior
Old 08-01-05, 05:46 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by costanza
I probably wouldn't ever buy an Acura sedan since they all look alike. And I wouldn't be surpised if in "real world" straight line acceleration, it is mostly FWD like the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX
You would be surprised than if you actually drove one. It handles and feels nothing like a FWD car. In fact, it probably feels more neutral or RWD like than some RWD cars. Don't believe all that BS about not being able to use SH-AWD in normal driving. The second you hit the gas to accelerate it is already transfering torque to the rear wheels. The second you corner it is already transfering torque to the outside rear wheel. The AWD system in the MDX and Pilot does not use SH-AWD.
Old 08-01-05, 01:27 PM
TMQ
Rookie

If I had more than $40K to spend on a car, for sports sedan, I'd still get a BWM. For a luxury/comfy sedan, a Lexus. But I've put the money into my house instead. Some of my neigbors definitely have more to spend; I've seen 3-4 GS around. One neighbor has 2 Porsche parked outside (not sure what's parked inside the garage).

Design wise, the design of the new 5-series has really grown on me - I think it's excellent (for black or silver). It's actually a lot sharper than the new 3-series. RL and GS are bland to me; A6 is just weired. Infinite should do something about the tail.

Brand wise, who knows, five years from now maybe Acura will be truly be considered a luxury brand to compete with the big boys.
Old 08-01-05, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Exactly. This is a perfect example of why car reviews are mostly opinion ... not much objective facts or observations. It was their opinion the car was soft and was not sporty, even though it got a pretty decent 0 - 60 time. How would they define sporty? Other reviews hailed the GS300 AWD as more fun to toss around than the GS430 due to lack of VDIM. It was their opinion that the Audi looked better, and it was DEFINITELY their opinion about build quality and interior materials.

I mean reviews can't really create blatant lies; if a car has incredible build quality and materials, you can't really say anything bad about it ... but wow, Edmunds has shocked me and no doubt others by saying exactly that.

I have personally sat in a new GS300 and a GS430, and they both have the same interior quality. That is to say, the plastics are of great quality, I was amazed at how nice the plastics felt and just with the overall feel of all the buttons and switches. I was also impressed by the fit and finish and how the different parts of the interior came together so seamlessly, especially in complex ways. With such a stylish interior, it also boggled my mind as to how first rate the ergonomics were.

It's as if the GS300 they tested had a magically different interior than the GS430 they tested a while back.

I wonder if they will get bombed by hate mail from gen 3 GS owners about the blatant lie they made about the interior
beauty is in the eye of beholder, as they say. You are right on in your remarks.

I think it is important to say that while GS might feel softer, it is not soft car at all. I do think there should be an Sport option, if only for reviewers to test. Maybe it will come with new engines.

And it was slow? Well Audi was a lot slower and it ended up 2nd.

People like their GS's because they believe they are wonderful cars and mostly because they really want luxury and not bone crunching ride. For most, i believe, GS might be too sporty anyway. But hey, catchword of the decade it sporty, so it has to be.
Old 08-01-05, 03:37 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You would be surprised than if you actually drove one. It handles and feels nothing like a FWD car. In fact, it probably feels more neutral or RWD like than some RWD cars. Don't believe all that BS about not being able to use SH-AWD in normal driving. The second you hit the gas to accelerate it is already transfering torque to the rear wheels. The second you corner it is already transfering torque to the outside rear wheel. The AWD system in the MDX and Pilot does not use SH-AWD.

I'd like to see some sort of real-time data showing the torque split between front and rear during straight line acceleration. I know the dash has a display showing this. If I drove one maybe I could watch the display to see what's going on. When you look at a sample of the display in action on Acura's website, it shows most torque going to the front wheels.
Old 08-01-05, 08:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by costanza
I'd like to see some sort of real-time data showing the torque split between front and rear during straight line acceleration. I know the dash has a display showing this. If I drove one maybe I could watch the display to see what's going on. When you look at a sample of the display in action on Acura's website, it shows most torque going to the front wheels.
A lot of us who test drove it was able to make that display quite active Seriously though, it does have a FWD bias under cruising or light normal driving conditions. However, that is not a bad thing at all since under those conditions you can't really tell the difference between RWD and FWD anyway. What the SH-AWD system does is do a great job of masking all the bad traits of FWD cars. So, when those bad traits normally would show up on other FWD cars, the SH-AWD kicks in and does its stuff making the car very neutral. When those bad traits are not there the SH-AWD system is somewhat quiet, but at that point it doesn't really matter. Around corners the side split definately works well though to push you around the corner just like RWD rather than FWD.

The front to rear torque slpit will definately vary with each driver. If you accelerate smoothly and normally you might not see much action at all, but you probably wouldn't feel any difference betweem FWD and RWD under those conditions. Stomp on the gas at the stop light and you probably will see the full 70% torque transfered to the rear just when it is needed the most.

Anyway, all I'm saying is test drive the car and the SH-AWD will not be on your complait list. Other things might be, but the SH-AWD makes the RL. Without it the RL probably would be no better than the last generation. With it it totally transforms the car.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-01-05 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-01-05, 09:06 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

If i would have ever taken these reviews seriously than i would never have bought my GS and would have bought the "fugly rear ended" Infiniti. I have said this thousands of times to me reviews are opinions of others. Now dont get me wrong if i see a GOOD review of the GS i am happy but the negative ones dont bother me one bit......I want the WHOLE package in a car and the only car in that list that had the "package" with a price i could afford and a NAME BRAND i liked was my beautiful GS. When i wake up in the morning and get into my car, press the start button, turn up the music on my ML system and then drive to work, I can guarantee you that i will NOT be thinking that what person or magazine thinks about my car.
Old 08-02-05, 01:45 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Gawd, I love it when these mags/site editors takes a car design for 90% street / 10% track and throw it on the track to make their evaluations. I bet you, 99% of GS owners will never see the track, much less drive near 9/10ths. I also bet you, 90% of GS owners also have a play "toy" for those times when they want to....so stupid....
Old 08-02-05, 01:54 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
If i would have ever taken these reviews seriously than i would never have bought my GS and would have bought the "fugly rear ended" Infiniti. I have said this thousands of times to me reviews are opinions of others. Now dont get me wrong if i see a GOOD review of the GS i am happy but the negative ones dont bother me one bit......I want the WHOLE package in a car and the only car in that list that had the "package" with a price i could afford and a NAME BRAND i liked was my beautiful GS. When i wake up in the morning and get into my car, press the start button, turn up the music on my ML system and then drive to work, I can guarantee you that i will NOT be thinking that what person or magazine thinks about my car.
Funny, that's exactly how I feel about my my "fugly rear ended" M45 Sport when I get in and press the start button. And everytime I see a new GS on the road I'm reminded of my two test drives of the GS430 and breathe a sigh of relief that I bought something fun to drive instead. It's too bad you hate the tail end of the M so much because you'll be seeing a lot of it.
Old 08-02-05, 02:31 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Funny, that's exactly how I feel about my my "fugly rear ended" M45 Sport when I get in and press the start button. And everytime I see a new GS on the road I'm reminded of my two test drives of the GS430 and breathe a sigh of relief that I bought something fun to drive instead. It's too bad you hate the tail end of the M so much because you'll be seeing a lot of it.
Ha, I guess NYLexus's comments struck a nerve with you I'm sure you're happy with your M purchase. I seriously considered the M45 and took numerous test drives. A very fine car no doubt.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I think the GS exterior is better looking than the M, but I'm sure many would agree otherwise. I actually don't mind the M rear lights, as they look pretty cool when the LEDs are illuminated.

Interior wise though, I thought the M was far behind the GS. I didn't like the amber colored lighting, the wood was not very appealing, and the huge ATM like center console just looked strange to me. However, I thought the Nav screen was nice (although I prefer the Lexus touchscreen). But why does Infiniti feel the need to stich their logo onto the seats

Last edited by INHOCJP; 08-02-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 03:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2

Oh dear, I should have figured the Lexus haters would jump all over these 2 opportunites. Its a good thing they didn't ask how the cars were made, since the M is as put together as a Mr. Potato Head doll, with pieces from every car in Renaults parts bin. Or the Nissan Fuga, whatever it is.

So please, take this crap elsewhere. Something fun to drive, lol, your acting like the 4,000 lbs M is some 911 and the GS is some Town Car. The M is sportier yes, but the GS is no slouch, within a tick of most performance aspects. Then you get quality, prestige, fit and finish, the M can only dream of.

I haven't seen any M's with any mods besides some really ricer carbon fiber stickers and for all its "Sport' no one has taken it to the Dragon yet and I think the guy that did take it to the track was disapointed he didn't get better 1/4 mile times..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=dragon

So what the hell is the point if your stuck with the A6, 545, GS, E in traffic on the interstate. How the hell can a sports sedan have a dash that is has more buttons a keyboard and resemble an ATM?

Its funny, when Lexus wins a comparision, its because its THE BEST CAR. When someone else wins a comparsion, its been BECAUSE its the sportiest. Far from being the best car.

In the end, every car in this class from every car maker is just pretty damn good, there really are not any bad cars. Its about personal preference and gladly, we have more choices now thatnever.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-02-05 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport Sedan comparo