GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2005 All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport Sedan comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Default 2005 All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport Sedan comparo

Rankings are.

Acura RL
Audi A6 3.2
Infiniti M35X
BMW 530xi
Lexus GS 300 AWD
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...5/pageId=64900

The GS review is here
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...5/pageId=64906

Old 07-28-05, 07:54 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 300 AWD comes up last in edmunds.com test

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...5/pageId=64900

The competition is the Infiniti M35X, Audi 3.2, Acura RL, BMW 530xi, and the GS 300 AWD. To me i personally think that the GS shouldnt have came in last, but it did, cant really understand why really, and then the BMW in forth, see i think that weird because all test basically u see on edmunds are when BMW competes with other cars, it comes out at first, well i guess not this time, Acura came out at first though, and before reading the article, i had the feeling that acura was coming out at first. and with 0-60 times, i know thats not really important, but the GS from edmunds and Lexus have some very different times, almost 8 seconds from edmunds and nearly 7 from Lexus. thats a big difference, and reading the editiors evaluations, the GS pratically came in last in every test they did, and rattles and squeaks, the GS came in fifth, never ridden in a GS but doesnt seem right that they came in last and overall build quality, u usually see toyota or lexus comes out at first, we tied with acura, which isnt bad because the acura RL is a really nice car, but i BMW came out before acura and lexus? Edmunds need to check what model they are stating to before they go public with it, the said BMW 530ix, they put down infitit G35x, not M35x. not really mad about the whole thing, just disappointed that what place the GS came in.
Old 07-28-05, 07:56 PM
LexFather

I find it funny, looking at the rankings, its almost REVERSE in sales. The 5 and GS sell the most, the M midpack, the A6 and RL are last in sales, below expectations. The A6 won an Automobile comparo and the RL has been a 10 best winner and placed well in comparsions and it doesn't seem to matter to either, consumers rather the other cars.

It goes to show that it maybe fun to drive .90 around the slalom but most people are doing 10mph in bumper to bumper traffic.

Good review, IMO, they seemed to be honest, the 2nd opinions are good.

Old 07-28-05, 08:19 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

all fun to drive but the A6 will end up at the dealership more...why not a ranking of time spent at th dealerships
Old 07-28-05, 08:34 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Edmunds really seems to go hard on Lexus usually... . I personally think the new GS looks great in person even better than the RL. The RL just doesn't look like a luxury car.
Old 07-28-05, 09:23 PM
LexFather

Its no big deal really, the RL does have SH-AWD (which is superior tech) and 300 ponies. The A6, they seem to prefer, the M35, seemed they loved the drive, didn't like anything else and the 530 would have WON if it wasn't so expensive.

No car in this comparison is bad, they are all quite good. This is they're opinion. What MATTERS is what the public thinks and buys and we know the answer to that one.

Old 07-28-05, 09:24 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

I hate the fact that the RL is getting so many good reviews...it is the size of an ACCORD...and it hardly gets criticized for that...i can't believe it

i really hate that car...it is so small...it is a compact luxury car...not midsize

can someone delete my other post...sorry
Old 07-29-05, 01:49 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
I hate the fact that the RL is getting so many good reviews...it is the size of an ACCORD...and it hardly gets criticized for that...i can't believe it

i really hate that car...it is so small...it is a compact luxury car...not midsize

Yes, and it SPANKED most of the others in performance. That really SUCKS! I hate that!
Old 07-29-05, 03:01 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

are you being sarcastic?

of course it is going to spank them if it is a compact sedan...it is practically a V-8 with that much hp...if they had another model of the RL, it surely would not have that much hp
Old 07-29-05, 03:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Compact luxury car is the size of 3 series or IS350.

RL is quite big, and it's not whole lot smaller than GS. It's small in the pack but not too small.

RL is a great car over all. you cant beat the price of RL. You are getting so much in return for that price, and that's one of the reason it's winning so many comparo. I see a lot of RL around here, but i saw ONE GS last weekend and no M35 so far. I need to get on the road a lot more.
Old 07-29-05, 03:42 PM
SPUDMTN
Rookie

are you being sarcastic?

of course it is going to spank them if it is a compact sedan...it is practically a V-8 with that much hp...if they had another model of the RL, it surely would not have that much hp
Compact sedan, huh? It is nearly identical when compared in dimensions to all the other vehicles. In fact, it surpasses the GS (or meets it) in all of the interior dimensions. It's longer, taller, and heavier than the GS. So it seems to me that all of these vehicles, in your opinion, should be classified as "compact".

And with all due respect, what does its 300 hp have anything to do with spanking the rest? The Infiniti, with 20 less horespower, had the best 0-60 times. It tied with the 255 hp BMW. I don't think I get your point...
Old 07-29-05, 04:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Lexus hurts for the 'placeholder' engine status, although the current GS 300's engine is nothing to sneeze at. Simply put, I think the Lexus GS is the most refined out there of the sports sedans, and a little more sport is around the corner with the impending GS 350 etc.

Not to forget the GS 430 placed 1st in the other Edmunds comparo.
Old 07-29-05, 04:59 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DC52E55
Compact luxury car is the size of 3 series or IS350.

RL is quite big, and it's not whole lot smaller than GS. It's small in the pack but not too small.

RL is a great car over all. you cant beat the price of RL. You are getting so much in return for that price, and that's one of the reason it's winning so many comparo. I see a lot of RL around here, but i saw ONE GS last weekend and no M35 so far. I need to get on the road a lot more.
does someone have statistics of all the car's dimensions???

i was exaggerating with the compact sedan, but it looks that small

You do not get that much...for $2000 more you can get a GS430, which is much faster, by 0.9 seconds to be exact
Old 07-29-05, 05:46 PM
SPUDMTN
Rookie

does someone have statistics of all the car's dimensions???

i was exaggerating with the compact sedan, but it looks that small

You do not get that much...for $2000 more you can get a GS430, which is much faster, by 0.9 seconds to be exact
Dimensions are in Edmunds' review.

And you do not get that much?! Come on, now. The RL has just as many nifty gee-whiz features as the fully-loaded GS300 AWD. And to step up to a GS430 with the same options (and a few extras) you have to spend about $10k more. It may be a sportier ride and offer better performance numbers, but just doesn't offer the year-around traction of any of the AWD offerings (which was why Edmunds' selected this crowd). And in the same fashion as 1SICK's earlier statement, what do 0-60 numbers do when...
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"...most people are doing 10mph in bumper to bumper traffic"

For the money, all of the vehicles are amazing pieces of automotive engineering. The Acura (according to Edmunds, and in my opinion) offers the best overall package. It may not be the best in everything, but it is exceptionally good at everything it does--in typical Acura fashion, it is a great overall package.

It seems to me that the folks at Edmunds' more or less said that it is a matter of what you are looking for in this kind of vehicle. The Infiniti is the racer of the bunch. The BMW is the twisty-eating perfomance machine. The Lexus is the elegant, smooth-operator luxo cruiser that offers a dab of sportiness when asked accordingly. The A6 and the RL seem to be general crowd pleasers, offering a little bit of everything to those who want it.
Old 07-30-05, 11:12 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

those demensions seem weird...how is the GS shorter in length than the RL

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...5/pageId=64907

the second editor picked the GS

Quick Reply: 2005 All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport Sedan comparo