GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Consumer Reports - AWD Mid-Luxury Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 10:57 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of manufacturers posted gains in July. It was a very good month.

It's impossible to quanitify how positive press translates into sales... I haven't seen that studied or tested. However it's important to note that GS sales remained about where they have been since it's intro for July (around the 3200 mark) while M sales climbed to within 500 of the GS at 2755. Could be a fluke or it could indicate a shift in sales momentum. Only time will tell.

Maybe that positive press is having an effect.
Old 08-03-05, 10:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AlwaysLate
I was just responding to 1SICKLEX's post wondering why he wen't off topic commenting on the TSX and answered his question regarding the IS. Thanks for the nice comments though.

(funny, I feel like I'm double posting this message).
Hey AL, let it go. You brought up the TSX sales, I informed you why they're sales went up. Now lets get back on topic. This is about the AWD GS comparo where the GS finished last.
Old 08-03-05, 11:11 AM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, please, this topic is about the AWD comparison. Anyone else stray off-topic, you wil be warned.
Old 08-03-05, 11:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

So where were we...AWD comparo. GS300 AWD is still pretty rare here in CA. I've only seen one on the road since that article I wrote up at Lexus of Glendale earlier this year...and this was just last week that I saw it.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-03-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 11:40 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, I for one don't think things have strayed that far off topic. I mean, the issue was brought up that sales don't come from objective test results. The point of that discussion being the question of how the CR rankings can and will affect purchase decisions and eventually impact GS sales and those of every other car on the list. Case examples of other cars not included in this test seem like a good point of reference to disuss the matter.
Old 08-03-05, 11:52 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, I for one don't think things have strayed that far off topic. I mean, the issue was brought up that sales don't come from objective test results. The point of that discussion being the question of how the CR rankings can and will affect purchase decisions and eventually impact GS sales and those of every other car on the list. Case examples of other cars not included in this test seem like a good point of reference to disuss the matter.
I thought so also, but it seems theres no say if the car is being compared to infiniti or acura. It must be a bad thing
Old 08-03-05, 12:34 PM
DrewSRX
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by speedflex
Only time will tell.

Maybe that positive press is having an effect.
This is exactly right, only time will tell.

One thing for certain though, excellent press can't hurt.

Last edited by DrewSRX; 08-03-05 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 01:33 PM
TMQ
Rookie

I'd use CR for reference for buying an econobox, but not for a luxury sports sedan (except for the reliability part).

Today's luxury car buyers are all reasonably well educated, and I believe people do take note when auto magazines overwhelmingly like or hate certain cars. Case in point: many domestics vs. imports.

American car buyers are always hungry for more power, especially the wealthy buyers, despite the gas price, so Lexus had better take notice. I think the IS 350 is a good example that message is well taken within their organization.

Plus, Lexus is launching in Japan at the end of the month (today's WSJ has a feature article) and will its hands full against MB and BMW.

I'd buy a car with 5-series skin, Lexus reliability and interior, RL SH-AWD and navigation, and Infiniti power.

Last edited by TMQ; 08-03-05 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrewSRX
This is exactly right, only time will tell.

One thing for certain though, excellent press can't hurt.

Now that is what I am talking about. Great work
Old 08-05-05, 09:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default GS300 Places Last in Consumer Reports Comparo

Just got my Consumer Reports. The ranking went like this:
1. M35 (their new top-rated sedan)
2. A6 ("overall it's composed and comfortable")
3. STS ("... very quck and responsive")
4. RL (43' wide turning circle)
5. GS300 ("we didn't find it particularly exciting to drive")

Ouch, when Consumer Reports finds a car "lacking feel and isn't agile" you have a problem.

Hey, at least the GS 300 is "recommended".
Old 08-05-05, 09:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172920
Old 08-05-05, 09:35 PM
Variance
Driver

Yeah, already posted and suffice it to say some Lexus guys didn't fully agree with the rankings and some didn't mind. Things were said that were disputed by others and in the end everybody made up (or at least simply stopped arguing).

I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-06-05, 06:18 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
When the GS 350 arrives, it will have what, 306hp, it may still lose comparisons.
It certainly will if they don't add a sports package!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Finally as someone pointed out, when the GS 450h arrives, NO ONE has an answer to this car.
MIke, that was you!
Old 08-06-05, 11:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's why I love my second generation gs400. It wasn't bashed by cosumer reports in 1998. Oh, it was motortrend import car of the year as well.
Old 08-06-05, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ouch, when Consumer Reports finds a car "lacking feel and isn't agile" you have a problem.
".
CR is not just a bunch of Grandpas. They DO test a car and check a car's emergency handling at its limits. And they also accelerate and brake pretty hard, checking for brake fade and stability......after the car is broken in, of course.

They just don't slam a car around and abuse it with high-RPM drop-clutch and brake-torque starts and speed-shifting trying to shave every lousy tenth-of-a-second off of 0-60 and quarter-mile times like the enthusiast magazines do.

Having said that, though, it IS hard to justify ranking the GS300 last if quality is a major factor.....which it often is with CR.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-06-05 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports - AWD Mid-Luxury Comparison