GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

why buy a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 06:41 PM
delirium
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why buy a GS?

I am looking at the 5 servies, the GS and the Infiniti M. Why did you guys buy the GS over the other 2? I drive BMW's and they are great, and reliable. I am thinking about the GS, but it is slower, and less distinctive (IMO).
Old 08-05-05, 07:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by delirium
I am looking at the 5 servies, the GS and the Infiniti M. Why did you guys buy the GS over the other 2? I drive BMW's and they are great, and reliable. I am thinking about the GS, but it is slower, and less distinctive (IMO).
Slower than the 5 series? I didn't know that

Less distinctive - check out some peoples cars on here - there is nothing more distinctive!

I know nothing about the Infiniti M so I can't comment on that. All I can say is the GS is certainly a lot more cosmetically appealing then the M.

What year are we talking about here so it is easier to compare??

Jonny
Old 08-05-05, 07:07 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Welcome.... While I find your question kinda vague/strange, I feel obliged to give you my 5O cents. As a prospective GS buyer I like it because it is very distinctive (assuming you're referring to 2nd gen) The GS doesnt resemble anything else on the road aside from its quad bubble eyes which are very similar to the E/CLK Benzs. Exteriorwise is extremeley distinctive from the rear and sides esp with those strange but cool tail lights. Now as far as the 3rd Gen GS....I personally am not in love with the exterior design, at least not yet and probably will never be. But everything else is crazy on that car. The interior is beautiful and the technology on that is well done. Performancewise, it would have been nice to see a significant upgrade in HP as has been discussed numerous times. Again exteriorwise it just looks like every other new Japanese sports car esp the current Maximas (IMO).

The M45 well thats a serious car. I truly commend Infiniti on those. They pose a serious threat to all mid size sports cars. Hopefully they will be able to get the Q right in the near future. Back to the 2nd gen GS, I love it. Very roomy, havent driven the 430 yet but plan to as I really am looking to cop one.

BMW 5 series are obviously great cars but no where as plush as a GS. And to be honest I still prefer the old E39's to the current one. And I'm one of the few fans of the Chris Bangle design. I'd buy a 760 tomorrow if I could afford one and the headaches that come with them. Well enuff of my rambling I'll let the other CL heads drill you on the GS as they are very helpful and informative.
Old 08-05-05, 07:19 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a 06 GS300 back in June, I'm a fan of the new design, and not crazy about the second generation. I considered a 5series for about 5 minutes, I don't like the looks, or the crazy i-drive system. I also have a 94 e-36 3 series that I have had since new, and over 200,000 miles on it, so I'm not a BMW basher, but I'm not crazy about the new stlyes or mnt. that come with them. To me the GS was a better buy
Old 08-05-05, 07:30 PM
SiFreak
Rookie

I picked up the GS because of the following reasons:-

- has cheaper parts than the M or 5 series, just because there are more of them on the road. I am not a fan of Nissan or BMW spare parts cost.
- The 2JZ & #UZ motors are proven for performance and reliability
- Roomier
- Its built by Toyota
- Alot of aftermarket support. You can upgrade brakes from the Supra TT, use Toyota filters, belts, diffs, axles, even turbo it
- To do maintenance on the car, you only need tools in size 10,12,14,17 &19mm. I work on my own cars
Old 08-05-05, 07:44 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SiFreak
I picked up the GS because of the following reasons:-

- has cheaper parts than the M or 5 series, just because there are more of them on the road. I am not a fan of Nissan or BMW spare parts cost.
- The 2JZ & #UZ motors are proven for performance and reliability
- Roomier
- Its built by Toyota
- Alot of aftermarket support. You can upgrade brakes from the Supra TT, use Toyota filters, belts, diffs, axles, even turbo it
- To do maintenance on the car, you only need tools in size 10,12,14,17 &19mm. I work on my own cars
Saving money is never a bad thing. Maintenance can be costly....coming from a Range I'm all too familiar with that. That's whats scaring me from the 208 CLK (I love em by the way). But what was the one the one visual or should I say aesthetic thing that won you over??
Old 08-05-05, 08:17 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at the 5 servies, the GS and the Infiniti M. Why did you guys buy the GS over the other 2?
First off, which cars are you looking at? The V8 or V6 versions of each respective model?

I thought the 545 drove well, but the interior was lacking that luxury feel, but sporty. The design of the new 5 is just ok IMHO. I much prefer the design of the 6 series. But bottom line, a fully loaded 545 was way overpriced, especially since it lacks many of the goodies the GS has (like smart access, interior led lighting, backup camera, etc).

The M vs. GS debate has been covered in many past threads. Search and you'll find all the opinions you'll ever want on the subject. If I had to choose between only the 545 and the M45, I'd purchase the M45.

I drive BMW's and they are great, and reliable. I am thinking about the GS, but it is slower, and less distinctive (IMO).
Congratulations on the reliability. But I think it's generally conceded that Lexus has the edge in reliability. But the fact that BMW pays for maintenance for the first four years is nice.

Slower? Once again, depends on which models you are talking about. Distinctive? Yeah, that's purely subjective. I think the new GS is better looking than the M and 5, but that's just me. Honestly though, pictures don't do the new GS justice. I had a lukewarm response after seeing the first pics, but my mind changed after taking one for a test drive.

In any event, I'm sure you'd enjoy any of the three cars you mentioned.
Old 08-05-05, 08:29 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why buy a GS?

because Lexus reliabilty,engineering & and customer service is second to none. they really want their customers to be happy.
Old 08-05-05, 08:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me, the biggest things for lexus is reliability, comfort, and quality. i just can't seem to get any other cars right now coz' they will fail these criteria. i want a car to drive, not a car to stay in the shop

so...
Old 08-05-05, 09:35 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
t i want a car to drive, not a car to stay in the shop

so...
You could not have said it any better!!
Old 08-05-05, 10:18 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first I love the way the GS looks. Since I was little I saw the car and always wanted it and now I got it. Its more reliable than others, looks awesome, and if you drop in turbo and some other mods you can have some good speed.
Old 08-06-05, 01:11 AM
typeshblue
Driver

before i bought my gs i was looking at the 5 series like the outside style but interior looks plain to me, and for the m series i get to drive them when ever i want i work for nissan, but i can drive the infinitis too, power is good but dont like interior design plus my girl likes the gs
Old 08-06-05, 04:47 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
why buy a GS?

because Lexus reliabilty,engineering & and customer service is second to none. they really want their customers to be happy.
Right on the money!
Old 08-06-05, 08:50 AM
Pavel
Rookie

I have yet to purchase mu GS4, but...I love the style of the car like most people on this site. It is faster than an older 5 series (not counting the M). Now lets talk about the M series...my buddy had his in the shop 3 times allready with engine related problems. The car was certified, with low miles, etc. I would rather spend my money customising the car rather than fixing one, just so that something else would break down (had this experience with Mitsubishi). The M...that's a really nice car, but i don't trust Nissan product all that much even though half of my friends drive Nissans.

Take each car you are considering for a spin, and I am sure that the plush, soft and comfortable interior of the GS will be the winner.
Old 08-06-05, 08:54 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

I chose the gs400 to waste boatsloads of gas and to kill the environment.
I love my GS.

Quick Reply: why buy a GS?