GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Leather Steering Wheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 06:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I have it & I love it on a luxury car & I don't have any of the aforementioned problems at all, at least in my climate.
Old 08-09-05, 07:00 PM
LexFather

This ladies and gentleman is the interior is the handbuilt, over $300,000 Pagani Zonda F. This is the car that some view as THE top sports car.
And oh, my, is that a wood steering wheel and wood parking brake?

Sports racing cars frequently added wood to steering wheel rims; it provided a better grip and was certainly more attractive. Aftermarket suppliers such as Nardi, which also supplied Ferrari, offered them as accessories in a wide variety of automobiles. One of the most desireable was the British Les Leston wheel, seen here on a Porsche 356. It was similar to the Nardi wheel, but was more affordable. Interestingly, woodrim steering wheels are making a comeback as standard equipment in luxury autos, wood often being matched with leather for an elegant two-tone effect.

http://vintagecars.about.com/od/time...odincars_7.htm
Old 08-09-05, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JHStrange
Pic 3/3 ........ All laced up
Its good stuff, I did the same thing to my pops SC 400. But I matched the leather. I think you tried to match the wood with the leather?

the trade idea is a good idea though you could make some $$$ selling it and trading, a wood wheel is a hot commodity on CL.
Old 08-09-05, 08:18 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...
Old 08-09-05, 08:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This ladies and gentleman is the interior is the handbuilt, over $300,000 Pagani Zonda F. This is the car that some view as THE top sports car.
And oh, my, is that a wood steering wheel and wood parking brake?
Mike, you can get the darn thing in a 911 turbo... that doesn't mean it is right. The grip is terrible plain and simple. My wife almost could not drive my car the other day cause the steering wheel was too hot.

Trust me, it looks better but it is less functional.

At least BMW "the ultimate driving machine" does not offer the darn thing.... yet. Oh and Caddy at least does it so that there is no wood at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel.
Old 08-09-05, 08:30 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default steering wheel

only time I have burned my hands was with my 94 mustang, Weighting into the fact it was a billet steering wheel, a/c compressor was out...that thing was literally cooking.
Old 08-09-05, 09:25 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its good stuff, I did the same thing to my pops SC 400. But I matched the leather. I think you tried to match the wood with the leather?

the trade idea is a good idea though you could make some $$$ selling it and trading, a wood wheel is a hot commodity on CL.
The color looks better in real life as it's quite a dark burgandy. I had considered brown or even black. Granted a wheel swap would be better but $$; might consider a custom cut but still wouldn't fit like a factory wheel on the spokes.
Old 08-09-05, 09:52 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

I'm sorry but that doesn't look right for some reason...
Old 08-09-05, 10:15 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

I understand the rationale behind not wanting wood. Though attractive, I like to steer with my knees and it's a little slippery. But oh my goodness man, the color, the clash! Really conflicts with the interior, like brown shoes with black trousers.

I wonder if you could trade with a 1Gen??

I'm sure you didn't go through the trouble to take the pix and post up the thread to be upbraided by your fellow CL'ers. At the end of the day you're the one that makes the payment...
Old 08-10-05, 09:29 AM
gs430jw
Pole Position

I've never had the steering wheel problem and I live in probably the hottest state. Maybe it's because I tinted the windshield
Old 08-10-05, 09:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I' ve been switching back & forth between full leather & wood steering wheel between my 2 cars all the time, & I don't feel any significant difference between the grip on the 2 wheels at all.
Old 08-10-05, 03:09 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

GS' sold in Germany have an option NOT to get a wood steering wheel. Below is the website address. Scroll right (last six pix) to see the interior options.

http://www.lexus.de/lexus_cars/gs/ga...ery/images.asp
Old 08-11-05, 07:42 AM
lebaron97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ex996
I understand the rationale behind not wanting wood. Though attractive, I like to steer with my knees and it's a little slippery.
I don't understand the rationale behind steering with your knees. The lexus is no truck or pick-up and why would one want to be in a car if one does other things with the hands instead of driving. What am I missing here?
Old 08-11-05, 08:59 AM
costanza
Pole Position

I would also prefer an all leather wheel. Wife likes the wood though,... uh...on the steering wheel too
Old 08-11-05, 11:17 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lebaron97
I don't understand the rationale behind steering with your knees. The lexus is no truck or pick-up and why would one want to be in a car if one does other things with the hands instead of driving. What am I missing here?
I could be rolling a spliff, knitting a sweater, gesticulating to another driver, doing my hair, eating, pulling taffy, boppin' my baloney, throwing a clay pot, reading the paper, taking a picture, tying my shoes, or, GOD FORBID!! typing on my Blackberry!!

Come on, I live in LA, that's how everyone drives around here!

Quick Reply: Leather Steering Wheel Cover