GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight question...HELP ASAP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 05:55 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight question...HELP ASAP PLEASE

I need to confirm that the HID bulb is indeed a DS2. Also. Inbetween the HID housing and the center grille. That one small bulb that always turns on when you are running your car. What size bulb is that??? I mean what type of bulb is it? H7? H11? H4? or anything like that. I want to upgrade the stock HID's to 6000k's and I want to somewhat match the inner lights. Any help would greatly be appreciated...
Old 08-10-05, 08:30 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

did you look up the bulb type in the manual? it's listed in there
Old 08-10-05, 09:29 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

Thanks...didn't know where the manual was cause my dad was studying it like it was a final exam...
Old 08-10-05, 10:55 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzoboi
Thanks...didn't know where the manual was cause my dad was studying it like it was a final exam...
Ha, too funny. Come to think of it, I can't remember where I put my manual
Old 08-11-05, 02:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

the headlights are d2s, yes

the bulb in the middle, that i don't know
Old 08-15-05, 06:16 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's a manual?
Old 08-15-05, 06:17 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS4fun
What's a manual?
It's when you have to move the shifter when you're driving instead of just putting it in one spot and never touching it until you've come to a complete stop
Old 08-15-05, 07:24 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
the headlights are d2s, yes

the bulb in the middle, that i don't know
FYI the bulbs are NOT D2S. They are D4S. I tried to upgrade to 6000K's using the D2S bulbs because that is what I thought they were with no luck. I guess we have to wait for the D4S bulb to come out

The middle bulbs are HB3 or something like that. Also known as 9005's.
Old 09-02-05, 11:46 AM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Default Low Beam

I recently test drove the GS300 overnight and found that on unlit rural roads, the low beams were far short of what you would need at anything over 40mph. Has anyone else noticed this and if so can an upgraded bulb fix it? I asked the dealership about adjusting the level of the lights and they said that is not possible. Something tells me it is but they won't do it. Any solutions, because I hate to not be able to drive it outside the city!
Old 09-02-05, 12:15 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Oh they are using the new d4s bulbs, they should be the same as d2s but the new d4s bulbs are supposed to have more lumins and use no mercuy. If you try to upgrade your bulbs to anything over stock kelvin temperature you will actually be downgrading in terms of light output. Now as far as the dealership adjusting your lights they are correct they cant do it, the lights are pointed the way they are because of strict DOT regulations. If you want your lights to sit higher what you have to do is place the car on a slight downhill, maybe coming out of your garage with the front facing down, and then remove the autoleveing fuses. This will freeze your auto leveling adjusters in that position thus leaving them point slightly above factory standards, but this disable your autoleveling. But over all autoleveling is over rated, if you notice the system only helps when you are going up hill and downhill, lets face it you will most likely never have enough luggage in the back to downforce your cars rear far enough to envoke the autoleveling to adjust the headlights and considering if you live in the city most streets are as flat as a desk, and when you go over bumps the autoleving doesnt work because time in which the car is actually of level is to short to adjust the projectors. But DOT still regulates that all vehicles equiped with HID have to have this system installed which in itself is expansive and does not in my opinion function right in regards to real world conditions.
Old 09-02-05, 05:59 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vicestan
Oh they are using the new d4s bulbs, they should be the same as d2s but the new d4s bulbs are supposed to have more lumins and use no mercuy. If you try to upgrade your bulbs to anything over stock kelvin temperature you will actually be downgrading in terms of light output. Now as far as the dealership adjusting your lights they are correct they cant do it, the lights are pointed the way they are because of strict DOT regulations. If you want your lights to sit higher what you have to do is place the car on a slight downhill, maybe coming out of your garage with the front facing down, and then remove the autoleveing fuses. This will freeze your auto leveling adjusters in that position thus leaving them point slightly above factory standards, but this disable your autoleveling. But over all autoleveling is over rated, if you notice the system only helps when you are going up hill and downhill, lets face it you will most likely never have enough luggage in the back to downforce your cars rear far enough to envoke the autoleveling to adjust the headlights and considering if you live in the city most streets are as flat as a desk, and when you go over bumps the autoleving doesnt work because time in which the car is actually of level is to short to adjust the projectors. But DOT still regulates that all vehicles equiped with HID have to have this system installed which in itself is expansive and does not in my opinion function right in regards to real world conditions.
The D2S will not work at all for this car. I have tried it. It would turn on for about 2 seconds and then go out. I also know that you will have less light to work with. I have done the 6000K conversion on my car and I know what you mean. I just readjusted the lights to aim a little higher and it works fine for me. I just want the bluer lighting out of the headlights. After being in my car forever with the 6000k's, the lexus xenons look yellow
Old 09-03-05, 01:17 AM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Benzoboi
The D2S will not work at all for this car. I have tried it. It would turn on for about 2 seconds and then go out. I also know that you will have less light to work with. I have done the 6000K conversion on my car and I know what you mean. I just readjusted the lights to aim a little higher and it works fine for me. I just want the bluer lighting out of the headlights. After being in my car forever with the 6000k's, the lexus xenons look yellow
So you say you reaimed the lights on a 2006 GS. Can you share how exactly you do that?

For me the bulbs are plenty bright since my last car just had regular halogens. These lights just don't reach out far enough.
Old 09-03-05, 02:53 AM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cassiri
So you say you reaimed the lights on a 2006 GS. Can you share how exactly you do that?

For me the bulbs are plenty bright since my last car just had regular halogens. These lights just don't reach out far enough.
I reaimed the lights on my E class.
Old 09-03-05, 02:58 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
Who said that? They do adjust when I press the brakes, floor it, or go over a bump. Have you also tried loading passengers in the back? They lights will glare without Autoleveling.

I wouldnt pull out that fuse for many reasons, one being the annoying message you will get on your instrumental cluster, plus it sounds like it will affect the AFS (lights follow you in turns) on the GS.

You can adjust the housing yourself with a screw/bolt like most cars.
Old 09-03-05, 04:00 AM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Who said that? They do adjust when I press the brakes, floor it, or go over a bump. Have you also tried loading passengers in the back? They lights will glare without Autoleveling.

I wouldnt pull out that fuse for many reasons, one being the annoying message you will get on your instrumental cluster, plus it sounds like it will affect the AFS (lights follow you in turns) on the GS.

You can adjust the housing yourself with a screw/bolt like most cars.

I'm not looking to kill the autoleveling feature, just redefine what "level" is. I'm not sure adjusting the house will change the standard level of the beam if the inner workings of the unit has a self contained level. It seems it would just compensate for the change in the housing like it does the change in the car itself.

Have you tried this fix? Does anyone else drive on dark roads and have they not noticed this?

Quick Reply: Headlight question...HELP ASAP PLEASE