GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problem w/ SIRIUS installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 12:06 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem. glad i could help. the XM and SIGMA antennas are the same price from sewell. i guess the only question is whether your dealer/installer will do it this way. you will have to tell darrel about this, b/c i think he is pretty much shipping the sirius kits with SIGMA only, so you will have to make a special request for the XM antenna instead.

my windows are tinted medium also, the pictures are shown at sunset with the sun blaring into my garage. it is definitely a very clean install, not noticeable at all. the corner install is nice too, not visible from your rearview mirror.

Originally Posted by PClarkccg
P.S. In your photo you can't see the antenna wire. Did the dealer pass the wire directly under the antenna to the trunk instead of along the bottom of the window?
yes, you are correct. it is passed through the trunk and up through the deck. the sirius receiver is mounted on the right side of the lower trunk compartment, so it is a very short distance to the antenna. with SIGMA, the install involves pulling back the pillar garnish, front passenger headliner, and door scuff plate to connect the wires.

p.s. update on the mode changing (SAT1, SAT2, SAT3, back to AM and SAT1) i posted above, it worked this morning for the first time when i cycled through it. so i guess it's working now.
Old 08-15-05, 11:36 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SIRIUS and XM use different networks. Yes the XM antenna can work but it is not ideal. XM has two stationary Satellites that sit on the equator and use thousands of ground repeaters. SIRIUS has 3 roaming satellites and have to use less ground repeaters.
Old 08-15-05, 02:26 PM
ACLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received this email today regarding interference between the SIGMA and rain sensing wipers:

Simply put, the SIGMA for the Sirius unit does not interfere with the
rain sensing wipers.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist.

With best regards,

Darrel Diller
Internet Customer Relations
www.lexus-parts.com
6421 Lemmon Avenue
Dallas, TX 75209
ddiller@sewell.com
Old 08-15-05, 07:25 PM
mi330
Driver School Candidate

Default Sirius install

Had Sirius radio installed in my GS300 on Thurs. I guess I was the first Sirius install for the dealer. I had purchased my GS back in early June and decided to wait for Sirius and declined the XM. I had fm Sirius in my 2004 RX300 and preferred Sirius to XM (enjoy NBA and NFL). Picked up the car after about 3 hrs and was told to call Sirius to activate. Went to activate on ride home (1hr drive from dealer) and discovered channel 184 was displayed but no ID would come up. Also all 3 satellites on the radio had channel 184 showing, all satellite preset stations were on channel 184. I was unable to turn the tuner **** or text on the touch pad to another station. It was like it was frozen on channel 184. The fm, am, cd options all still work. I do not have ML or Navigation option. Called the dealer service manager back and he said that installer said he ended the install when he "had a signal". Called Sirius rep and was told that without an ID number coming up on channel 184 or another channel they could not activate the unit. Well, had to reschedule an appointment to have dealer fix it. I'm not very happy about this. I would have thought the installer would have made sure that the ID number would come up on channel 184 or another channel before he ended the install. Have another appointment scheduled for this Thurs. I really don't like to have the dealer send someone to pick up my GS and leave me a loaner. I prefer others do not drive my GS anymore then necessary. But with my work schedule, I don't have the time to drive an hour, get a loaner and wait for them to make repairs. Anyone have any input as to what the problem could be. Thanks
Old 08-15-05, 08:36 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear of your trouble.

i bought the sirius kit separately (from lexus-parts.com) and activated it prior to handing it over to the dealer. the receiver came with an extra ID sticker in the package that i think they are supposed to stick on your pamphlet so you can call in with your ID.

the receiver ID appears on channel 255 (1 scroll down from zero), but i guess that does not help you if it does not tune to anything other than 184. 184 is only for sirius preview, it doesn't tell you anything else. if sirius has been activated, you will hear 184 on after the install which is a recording of various previews of the channels.

unfortunately, if the tech did not write down the ID or save the label for you, and the thing has not been activated, the only way to do so is to take apart the trunk compartment again and get it off the receiver. once you have that, you can call sirius to activate immediately.
Old 08-16-05, 07:37 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by melymel96
XM has two stationary Satellites that sit on the equator and use thousands of ground repeaters.
"Thousands"?
Old 08-16-05, 09:22 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by melymel96
XM has two stationary Satellites that sit on the equator and use thousands of ground repeaters.
Directly from XM's website... "XM Satellite Radio consists of a state-of-the art Broadcast Center in Washington, DC, that covers 150,000 square feet and includes some 80 studios; two Boeing 702 satellites, appropriately named "Rock" and "Roll;" and approximately 800 terrestrial repeaters located throughout the continental United States."

Sirius zealots never seem to get their anti-XM propaganda straight

Sirius has about 100 repeaters.

Last edited by costanza; 08-16-05 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 11:14 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SIRIUS Satellite Radio Debuts Its Smallest Plug and Play Radios for Vehicles

Looks like Sirius finally released a TIVO type receiver. I can't tell if this can be a portable.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio Debuts Its Smallest Plug and Play Radios for Vehicles
Thursday August 25, 12:00 pm ET
Starmate Replay and SIRIUS One Available at Retail in October

NEW YORK, Aug. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI - News) today announced the introduction of two of its most compact and user-friendly "Plug & Play" radios for vehicles, which are scheduled to be available at retail this October.
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050825/NYTH109-a

http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050825/NYTH109-b )

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19991118/NYTH125 )

The Starmate Replay, at 5 by 1.9 inches and 0.8 inches thick, weighs just 3.9 ounces. The small satellite radio features a five-line screen that displays the artist's name and song title, a four-way navigation button, and a sleek shape specially designed for easy integration into today's vehicles. The feature-rich satellite radio has 44 minutes of replay capability, allowing the user to pause, rewind and fast forward their favorite music, sports or talk program. Starmate Replay also includes the "SIRIUS-Seek" feature, which alerts listeners when any of their favorite 30 artists or songs are playing.

Additional features include: "Game Alert," which prompts listeners when their favorite teams begin a game or when scores change; "Game Zone," which lists the user's favorite team scores on one screen; 30 channel presets; and one-touch access to traffic and weather reports for select cities.

The Starmate Replay, which comes with all accessories for the car including a suction cup mount, hook and loop fastener, and a low profile antenna, will retail for $129.99. An optional home kit will be available for a suggested retail price of $39.99, and a custom installation kit, featuring a vehicle interface plate that offers a clean, professional and permanent installation, will also be available.

The SIRIUS One, at 2.8 by 4.5 inches and 0.8 inches thick, weighs just 5 ounces. The small, sleek design and reversible display, allows the SIRIUS One to be placed on the visor, dash or console. SIRIUS One has been specially developed for quick and easy vehicle installation, and comes complete with four mounting options including sun visor, windshield, dash board or instrument panel. The SIRIUS One, which has 30 channel presets, will retail for $79.99, including a remote control and low profile antenna.

"The Starmate Replay and SIRIUS One offer an easy and inexpensive way to get SIRIUS, which is exactly what consumers want," said Bob Law, SIRIUS' Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Electronics Division. "With their great features and compact size, these satellite radios will surely be some of the hottest gift items during this coming holiday sales period."

About SIRIUS

SIRIUS delivers more than 120 channels of the best commercial-free music, compelling talk shows, news and information, and the most exciting sports programming to listeners across the country in digital quality sound. SIRIUS offers 65 channels of 100% commercial-free music, and features over 55 channels of sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather for a monthly subscription fee of only $12.95. SIRIUS also broadcasts live play-by- play games of the NFL and NBA, and is the Official Satellite Radio partner of the NFL.

SIRIUS radios for the car, truck, home, RV and boat are manufactured by Alpine, Audiovox, Blaupunkt, Clarion, Delphi, Jensen, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sanyo and XACT Communications. Available in more than 25,000 retail locations, SIRIUS radios can be purchased at major retailers including Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, Costco, Office Depot, Sears, Target, Wal-Mart and RadioShack. SIRIUS is also available at heavy truck dealers and truck stops nationwide.

SIRIUS radios are currently offered in vehicles from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep®, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln-Mercury, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Nissan, Scion, Toyota, Porsche, Volkswagen and Volvo. Hertz currently offers SIRIUS at major locations around the country.

Click on www.sirius.com to listen to SIRIUS live, or to find a SIRIUS retailer or car dealer in your area.

Any statements that express, or involve discussions as to, expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, assumptions, future events or performance with respect to SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. are not historical facts and may be forward-looking and, accordingly, such statements involve estimates, assumptions and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Accordingly, any such statements are qualified in their entirety by reference to the factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2004 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Among the key factors that have a direct bearing on our operational results are: our dependence upon third parties, including manufacturers of SIRIUS radios, retailers, automakers and programming partners, our competitive position and any events which affect the useful life of our satellites.
Old 08-25-05, 11:19 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Worst thing about the Lexus Sirius Tuner is the fact that our Nav Screen user interface has a CD/FM interpretation of how to control tracks/channels.

The Text from Sirius is cut off to very few characters (I can;t remember how many) and changing channels it would be nice to see a channel preview.

Many of the button headings are generic for CD's and AM/FM, etc.

This of course is NOT a Sirius issue. XM has the same problem. Sirius provides more information for the artist and song title, so you really feel it when the Nav screen chops it off.
Old 08-25-05, 11:24 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default SIRIUS Unveils Wearable Satellite Radio

Ohh, here's another receiver.

SIRIUS Unveils Wearable Satellite Radio
Thursday August 25, 8:00 am ET
SIRIUS S50 With MP3 To Be Available In October

NEW YORK, Aug. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI - News) today announced the debut of its first wearable satellite radio, the SIRIUS S50, which allows users to capture and store up to 50 hours of SIRIUS content, or a mix of SIRIUS programming and MP3/WMA files, enabling listening on the go. The SIRIUS S50 is scheduled to be available at retail this October.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050825/NYTH029-a )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050825/NYTH029-b )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050825/NYTH029-c )
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19991118/NYTH125 )
The SIRIUS S50 measures just 1.9 by 3.9 inches and 0.7 inches thick, and includes a full color display, sleek black exterior and voice-assisted channel navigation. When attached to a home dock, car dock or executive docking station, the SIRIUS S50 provides easy access to live content, and captures and stores both scheduled and unscheduled SIRIUS programming. This feature allows users to listen to SIRIUS' unique programming anywhere.

The SIRIUS S50 stores content in a variety of formats for listening on the go, including "My SIRIUS Channels," "My SIRIUS Songs," "Scheduled Record," and "My Playlists."

* The "My SIRIUS Channels" feature automatically gathers and refreshes
sets of programming from the user's three most-listened-to channels.

* The "My SIRIUS Songs" feature allows the user to save favorite songs or
talk shows with the press of a button.

* The "Scheduled Record" feature allows the user to set the radio to
capture favorite shows on a one time or recurring basis.

* The "My Playlists" feature allows users to supplement SIRIUS content
with their own MP3/WMA library when attached through the home dock to a
PC. The PC application also allows users to synch channel and image
updates automatically through SIRIUS' website.

The car and home kits utilize a rotary "SIRIUS Media Dial," which provides quick and easy access to content. Listeners can turn the **** to find their favorite SIRIUS channel, tilt to pause, rewind, fast-forward or save a favorite song or show. In addition, voice-assisted navigation tells the user what channel they've selected, eliminating the need for the user to take their eyes off the road while driving. The radio also includes 30 channel presets; a jump button for one-touch tuning to traffic and weather reports or to a favorite SIRIUS channel; a sports ticker that flashes personalized sports scores; and a "Game Alert" feature which prompts when the user's favorite NFL, NHL, NBA, or other sports teams are playing on SIRIUS.

"The wearable SIRIUS S50 provides subscribers with extensive versatility when it comes to when, where and how they receive their favorite SIRIUS programming," said Jim Meyer, President of Operations and Sales for SIRIUS. "This small satellite radio is full of exciting, easy to navigate features for everyone from the least to the most tech savvy consumer."

The SIRIUS S50 will be available for a suggested retail price of $359.99, and includes wearable accessories (6-hour rechargeable battery, ear buds, belt clip, armband, USB cable and AC adapter) and a car dock, which includes an adhesive mount, custom cigarette lighter power adapter, a remote control, ultra-low profile antenna, DC input and line output. A home dock, which includes audio mixing for PC sound pass-through, and connects to speakers and PCs, a remote control, home antenna, USB cable, audio cable and power supply will be available for MSRP $99.99. A desk or wall mountable executive system, including high fidelity speakers, will also be available. Replaceable batteries will be sold separately.

Additional information about the SIRIUS S50 will be available on the SIRIUS website in mid-September.

About SIRIUS

SIRIUS delivers more than 120 channels of the best commercial-free music, compelling talk shows, news and information, and the most exciting sports programming to listeners across the country in digital quality sound. SIRIUS offers 65 channels of 100% commercial-free music, and features over 55 channels of sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather for a monthly subscription fee of only $12.95. SIRIUS also broadcasts live play-by-play games of the NFL and NBA, and is the Official Satellite Radio partner of the NFL.

SIRIUS radios for the car, truck, home, RV and boat are manufactured by Alpine, Audiovox, Blaupunkt, Clarion, Delphi, Jensen, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sanyo and XACT Communications. Available in more than 25,000 retail locations, SIRIUS radios can be purchased at major retailers including Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, Costco, Office Depot, Sears, Target, Wal-Mart and RadioShack. SIRIUS is also available at heavy truck dealers and truck stops nationwide.

SIRIUS radios are currently offered in vehicles from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep®, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln-Mercury, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Nissan, Scion, Toyota, Porsche, Volkswagen and Volvo. Hertz currently offers SIRIUS at major locations around the country.

Click on http://www.sirius.com to listen to SIRIUS live, or to find a SIRIUS retailer or car dealer in your area.

Any statements that express, or involve discussions as to, expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, assumptions, future events or performance with respect to SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. are not historical facts and may be forward-looking and, accordingly, such statements involve estimates, assumptions and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Accordingly, any such statements are qualified in their entirety by reference to the factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2004 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Among the key factors that have a direct bearing on our operational results are: our dependence upon third parties, including manufacturers of SIRIUS radios, retailers, automakers and programming partners, our competitive position and any events which affect the useful life of our satellites.
Old 11-24-05, 01:32 PM
mousie
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 GS3 and just bought Sirius from Crutchfield... I'm hearing that the trunk is the best place for the antenna but it looks kinda ugly there. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-06, 03:31 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

lexuslover: the antenna wire must be facing towards the interior the cabin as i dont see the wire from the angle you posted. did they simply punch a hole in the deck and route the wire down towards the receiver?

I was reading the pdf install directions made available from sewell and it seems pretty straightforward. At first review i thought why the hell are you removing the bumper. But realized a few steps down that this install is for mounting the xm antenna on the outside on the trunk lid. Forget that, i think i'll purchase my xm and run the antenna where yours is placed.
Old 02-12-06, 01:31 AM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

LexusLover- I had my Sirius installed at Lexus Carlsbad too and experience the same deal with the random station presets with the tuning ****. Here's the deal: when the dealership installs the Sirius package, you get access to selection on channels for a couple of months. If you want to have access to all of the channels, you have to subscribe to the $12.95/month package by dialing the 800 number and tuning your radio to channel 184 (i think that's the station). anyway, i did that and now i have access to all of my channels and am experiencing no problems at all.
Old 02-21-06, 03:54 PM
Black Ten
Driver School Candidate

Default Demo package

Same thing happened with my new GS430. Even though I was promised 3 months free, my Lexus dealership failed to inform me that it was 3 months of the demo package. The demo package only includes a few channels. This was why mine was jumping channels. Once I subscibed to Sirius, I got all the channels.

LexusLover:
on an unrelated note, i think there is one glitch/bug which i think is related to the lexus audio system software - if you are switching "modes" between SAT1, SAT2, SAT3, and then back to AM, you can't get back to SAT1 without turning off the car. for some reason when you cycle through it 1, 2, 3, you can't get back to SAT mode again. it's like it doesn't know it's there... is this happening to anyone else out there w/ sirius (or XM)?

Same problem here.....if I shut down the car with the audio in any mode other than AM/SAT, when I restart the car, the AM/SAT button is inoperable and I cannot get to AM or Satellite

UPDATE:

I just got the car back from the dealer. Apparently all Sirius modules have been recalled due to a glitch which locks out the AM/SAT button. My dealership said new ones withouth the glitch will be available in about a month. For now, I guess what I have is better than no satellite. Also, as long as I shut off the car in SAT mode, it comes back up when I restart.

Black Ten

Last edited by Black Ten; 02-25-06 at 04:05 PM.