GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Annoying squeaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-05, 10:53 PM
jsp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merclexus
Was it a thump or a crack? Mine sounded like a crack on the window or a pebble it my right side door hard or something. I was just turning into a drive way maybe going 2mph so i know it can't be a rock. it's my 3rd time hearing this.

I also seem to have a rattle that i think is coming from the drivers's seat belt or somewhere b/w the front and rear left side window. can't pin point it though. i can't believe this is coming from a lexus. i HATE rattles and squeaks!
Your car and my car have the same issues. I have not heard the loud crack in over a month. I am hearing the rattles from the seat belt area too. I have not had time to take my 430 into the shop. I currently have less than 1800 miles on it.
Old 09-26-05, 10:52 AM
LouieD
Driver School Candidate

Got a rattle in my dash too - just discovered it a few days ago. I can actually pull on the plastic trim and get it to move (around the gauges). I'll take it in at 5k and have it looked at. I am a litle annoyed - for as much as we pay for these cars I would think rattles should not occur until sometime much later n it's life.
LD
Old 09-26-05, 11:24 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1999 Lexus GS300 had an annoying squeak in the dash. The dealer "rebuilt" the drivers side dash several times and indicated that they put in additional insulation to get rid of the squeak. Obviously that was in the second year of production for that car. My 2002 GS300 hasn't had any problems or squeaks and rattles.

This is one of the reasons why I try to avoid buying a car in it's first year of production but I think I'm going to have the bite the bullet this time and take a chance on either a new GS or IS since my lease is up on Dec 1st. Even if I extend my lease by the maximum extension which is 6 months, it will still be the 2006 model year which will still be the first model year for both the GS and IS.

I just found the chart from the October 2005 issue of Consumer Reports that came from an article titled "The problem with new-car models - Think twice about buying a newly designed model in its first year" . This graph shows the average problem rates, by manufacturer, for newly designed 2000 through 2002 models. Manufacturers are ranked from fewest to most problems per 100 vehicles for the first model year.

I have a subscription to their web site so I hope everyone can see this image. If you can't, let me know.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 09-26-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-09-05, 09:13 PM
SeattleRK
Driver School Candidate

Default Status Report

I took my GS300 in for it's 5000 mile service. During the test drive I demonstrated the noises that concerned me. I'm happy to report that after several days and a dedictated effort by the service department, my baby finally quiet.

I guess that this is why I bought a Lexus. They never questioned my concern and "owned" the problem until it was fixed.

I am now a happy camper...
Old 10-10-05, 05:53 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great for you SeattleRK. Those little noises can drive one crazy! So far I've been lucky with a quiet cabin, with the exception of the rear view mirror that the dealer replaced.
Old 10-10-05, 07:51 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Exclamation

I had a rattle on the right side and it appears to be the speaker and the dealer ordered parts to repair same. I belive there is a Service Bulletin on it (TSIB AU001-05)
Old 10-10-05, 08:55 PM
yycc174
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeattleRK
I took my GS300 in for it's 5000 mile service. During the test drive I demonstrated the noises that concerned me. I'm happy to report that after several days and a dedictated effort by the service department, my baby finally quiet.

I guess that this is why I bought a Lexus. They never questioned my concern and "owned" the problem until it was fixed.

I am now a happy camper...
Would you please describe which portion had been repaired by Lexus service? I am also confused by the noise of my GS300 and can not define where it is.
Old 10-11-05, 12:45 PM
SeattleRK
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Repairs

The service tech had a very difficult time finding what turned out to be multiple "noises." She replaced the right speaker, replaced the front cowling, wrapped some parts in the center console near the radio, and wrapped the navigation unit. They worked on my car for 8 days before they got rid of all of the problems.
Old 10-11-05, 01:09 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SeattleRK
The service tech had a very difficult time finding what turned out to be multiple "noises." She replaced the right speaker, replaced the front cowling, wrapped some parts in the center console near the radio, and wrapped the navigation unit. They worked on my car for 8 days before they got rid of all of the problems.
How much did they charge you for this?
Old 10-11-05, 01:10 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zoombie99
I had a rattle on the right side and it appears to be the speaker and the dealer ordered parts to repair same. I belive there is a Service Bulletin on it (TSIB AU001-05)
Has anyone seen a description of TSIB AU001-05?
Old 10-11-05, 03:38 PM
SeattleRK
Driver School Candidate

All under warranty...
Old 10-12-05, 05:29 PM
yycc174
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zoombie99
Can anyone inform the details of TSIB AU001-05?
Old 11-26-05, 08:22 AM
dmachin
Driver School Candidate

I had an annoying (loud) rattle coming from the back of my Series-II GS300. I got someone to drive around while I sat in the back and found that the noise was coming from inside the front passenger seat.

If you take the seat back off by removing the two screws at the bottom of the seat back and dropping it down, you will see that at the top of the seat, there are three metal rings which hold are used to clip the seat cover to the seat... these can move around and make a loud rattling noise which (for some reason) seems to be coming from the back. I padded them with some foam and now the rattle's gone.

I guess the driver's seat has the same problem, but when you're sitting in it it pulls the seat cover tight against the rings so they don't move about. That explains why the rattles always seemed to go away when there was a passenger in the car.

Hope that helps someone... Lexus are fine cars but they rattle worse than a Toyota Corolla!
Old 11-26-05, 11:16 AM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

Default rattle

I also have a rattle in the dash. It sounds like its from the windshield area. The driver seat squeaks if you push hard into the seat. I hope the dealer can fix these problems. I hope they dont have to pull the dash to fix that rattle., does anybody know ??? has anybody been succesfull with the fixes. I have 7000 miles and the problems started at about 6700.
Old 11-26-05, 11:46 AM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

The tisb is for a levinson sound system problem with the speaker in rhe dash.

Quick Reply: Annoying squeaks and rattles