GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Annoying squeaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 10:42 AM
SeattleRK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying squeaks and rattles

I have a GS300AWD with run flat tires and a little over 4000 miles.

Given that I live and work in Seattle and we can be proud of our bad city streets, I have several annoying squeaks and rattles...mostly coming from the dash and glove box area. This is not enough to spoil my enthusiasm for this great car but I'm wondering if others have similar issues. I'm planning on pointing out the problem when I go in for my 5000 service but since Lexus of Seattle is in Edmunds with typical suburban roads, I find it hard to reproduce the problems...
Old 08-18-05, 12:25 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, the joys of owing a new model in its first year. My previous '99 GS (built in Dec. '98) was a rattle trap. After numerous visits to the dealer, and tons of felt material in the dash and doors, most of the rattles were eliminated. However, when I rode in my coworkers '03 GS, I couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to mine. As expected, quaility control definitely improves each model year.

Unfortunately, my new GS has also developed a few annoying sounds.

1. A rattle by the area where the passenger door meets the dash

2. A rattle in the rear deck area

3. My drivers seat is squeaks! It is only apprarent when I am making a turn with the vehicle. This flaw annoys me the most.

Although annoying, I'll wait until my 5k service to fix these issues. Until then, I'll just crank up the ML system.
Old 08-18-05, 03:17 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At about 2500 miles my '06 GS300 is exhibiting a very slight rattle or ticking noise which seems to be coming from the center dash area. It's very slight and can only be heard with the cabin quiet.
Old 08-18-05, 04:00 PM
SeattleRK
Driver School Candidate

I love this car but I traded in an Audi A4 that was solid as a rock....had a few issues but rattles were not a problem. I'm hoping that my dealer can make me a happy camper again.

RonK
Old 08-18-05, 04:11 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the rattles can be taken care of quite easily. Hopefully this will be the most serious issue you'll ever encounter with your GS
Old 08-18-05, 05:41 PM
mcyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rattle problem in the dash area as well. The dealer told me that a dash pin was broken and it was fixed. No more rattles after that. One was to reproduce the rattle in the dash area is to hit it slightly. Try it and see if you can reproduce it.
Old 08-19-05, 11:51 AM
jsp
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle from the dash

I also had a rattle from the dash. I was able to isolate it to the glove compartment door. I think it was rubbing against the dash. Easy fix.

This morning, I was driving through an intersection and heard a loud sound. It sounded like the moonroof or body of my GS430 was twisting. Anyone else hear a loud thump going over uneven roads?
Old 08-25-05, 06:45 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

After taking a long trip I determined the source of my GS's rattle or ticking sound. It's not coming from the dash, but rather the rear view mirror. With the ticking sound, if I grasp the mirror and apply pressure to the back, the noise stops. My mirror doesn't seem to be well assembled. Squeezing the mirror causes the plastic back to flex and and make all kinds of plastic rubbing noises. I'll report it at 5K miles when having the oil changed.
Old 09-21-05, 04:50 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Following up on my mirror noise, the dealer agreed there was something wrong with my mirror assembly and replaced it. Problem solved.
Old 09-21-05, 08:36 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

don't worry if u plan to mod her there will be more noise like lowering.
Old 09-22-05, 12:42 AM
merclexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsp
I also had a rattle from the dash. I was able to isolate it to the glove compartment door. I think it was rubbing against the dash. Easy fix.

This morning, I was driving through an intersection and heard a loud sound. It sounded like the moonroof or body of my GS430 was twisting. Anyone else hear a loud thump going over uneven roads?
Was it a thump or a crack? Mine sounded like a crack on the window or a pebble it my right side door hard or something. I was just turning into a drive way maybe going 2mph so i know it can't be a rock. it's my 3rd time hearing this.

I also seem to have a rattle that i think is coming from the drivers's seat belt or somewhere b/w the front and rear left side window. can't pin point it though. i can't believe this is coming from a lexus. i HATE rattles and squeaks!
Old 09-22-05, 12:21 PM
hlevin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the rattle in the door/seatbelt area, try pushing on the big trim piece around the gauges in the dashboard. I know it sounds silly, but it took me the better part of 2 months to figure out that's where my rattle was coming from and I was sure it was coming from the door or some trim piece on the left-hand side.
Old 09-23-05, 06:42 AM
JKashat
Lead Lap

My moonroof squeaks and rattles. The sound stops when I press on glass near the weather stripping on the back side. Very annoying. Took it to the dealership, "No problem found" according to the technician. Not happy.
Old 09-23-05, 10:56 AM
merclexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hlevin
On the rattle in the door/seatbelt area, try pushing on the big trim piece around the gauges in the dashboard. I know it sounds silly, but it took me the better part of 2 months to figure out that's where my rattle was coming from and I was sure it was coming from the door or some trim piece on the left-hand side.
hmm, trim piece around the gauge? Well I'll try next time I hear rattles. Problem is, it's intermitten and I know it probably won't rattle when/if i take it to the dealer.
Old 09-25-05, 05:58 AM
GS430X6
Pole Position

I'm so sick of the rattels in my 3gs430 I could scream. Very unhappy with my new GS

Quick Reply: Annoying squeaks and rattles