GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05 | 10:30 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Park Assist

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the parts for Park Assist and somehow wire it into the GS. The hardest thing might be to get the parts from Lexus. If it's not an option, they don't like to give up the parts unless it's an exchange for a bad part.

I'm extremely interested in doing this.
Old 08-25-05 | 10:58 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

you mean your GS didn't come with the IPA?

i saw some other park assist parts for an RX at a local dealership. it was about 300 for parts only. it looked nice, but i am not sure it integrates into the nav the way the GS does.
Old 08-25-05 | 11:01 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

No. I'm kind of upset with the sale person too. Before getting the vehicle (I was 1st on the list), I asked him to get me all of the specs, and options on paper so I could review them before selecting.

He told me my GS was fully loaded. Had I known about Park Assist I might have waited for another one. I also might have waited for PCS.
Old 08-25-05 | 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i am not sure if that's all that easy to "add" the PA systems on the car that will integrate with the nav unit
Old 08-25-05 | 07:36 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Are you SURE you don't have it? Check the switch in the hidden compartment where the trunk latch and gas door release are.
Old 08-26-05 | 03:16 PM
soon2benags4
Rookie

I was thinking the same thing. I thought all the GS3's had it when we bought ours. Are you sure it isn't just turned off. That happened to me once.
Old 08-27-05 | 06:03 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

I'd like to see the parking assist, as well as the backup camera, available after delivery.

A large part of such an installation would be running the wiring, but I suspect the car's wiring harness is the same for all the GS, and the connectors for the "uninstalled" features are capped off.

Let's face it, visibility out the rear, and front. leaves a LOT to be desired

I called Lexus 800, and told them what I wanted to do, but they were of no help
Old 08-27-05 | 07:12 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ex996
Are you SURE you don't have it? Check the switch in the hidden compartment where the trunk latch and gas door release are.
Cars that do not have the rear sunshade and park sensors still have these buttons (though inactive) in the "hidden compartment".
Old 08-27-05 | 07:51 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure if that's all that easy to "add" the PA systems on the car that will integrate with the nav unit
I don't mind taking the harder route to get this working. As I said, I believe Lexus won't sell the parts which is the biggest problem. When I got my first GX (03) it did not have the Read DVD system. I wanted to get the parts and install it, but I could not get them.

Just like Sirius Satellite radio being aftermarket, the install was a matter of plugging in wire harnesses and mounting the antenna.

The Park Assist should (only in an ideal world) be plugging in a Park Assist module and connecting and mounting the parking sensors to the bumper. But, there's probably a technical or executive snag.

Here's a couple of my guesses.
Technical: Perhaps you can't snake a main wire harness which is required.

Executive: A third party company licensed the park assist module to Lexus, and there's no agreement in place for post factory sales.
Old 08-27-05 | 06:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

technical rather than executive.

maybe someone with access to Lexus parts database might be helpful enough to tell you how hard would it be.
looking at whats all involed, i would say sorry bro...
Old 08-28-05 | 06:42 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
technical rather than executive.

maybe someone with access to Lexus parts database might be helpful enough to tell you how hard would it be.
looking at whats all involed, i would say sorry bro...
Don't discount the executive necessarily (though I'm leaning towards technical). It's quite possible even a safety legal issue prevails. There's a number of possibilities on both sides. I'd be interested to hear the answer.

But remember, it's not just Lexus. Automobiles aren't entirely modular. It is only recently that they've just begun to use scalable electronic systems to offer greater flexibility during manufacturing. And just very recently we've seen Lexus offer the Sirius Satellite receiver as an option which activates the Nav Screen software to include the new screens. Most of the modular capabilities of auto makers has been to help them through manufacturing process to produce varying grades, options, etc.

From what I've read, Toyota & Lexus have been on the forefront of this whole modular line of thinking to vastly improve manufacturing and production. But others have begun to follow.

From the assembly line: to be able to retool for another vehicle quite quickly where qty demand changes.

From the chassis: to be able to use the same platform to create multiple vehicles

From the Information Touch Screens: To be able to plugin modules such as Nav, DVD, Hybrid, Satellite Radio, Park Assist, later traffic, weather, internet.

As time progresses, some of these modular type items will become so easy to "Plug n' Play" that consumers will have more choices even after the sale. (aka, Sirius Satellite)

I see Scion commercials and have visited their website. They offer lots of options and they're inexpensive. Excellent planning was used to offer such flexibility.