GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Park Assist not working anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 06:37 PM
stoshiro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Assist not working anymore

Just had a pretty bad experience at my local Lexus dealer.

Just got home and noticed that my park assist is no longer working. I tried the setting via the info screen, but still nothing.

I tried calling the dealer back, but they just said "Do you want to brig it back in now or later?"

What kind of crappy service is that? So I called back to talk to a tech and after a long while, finally got somebody and he says "You need to bring it in to get diagnosed" didn't even ask if I checked the settings on the info screen.

I'd really rather not waste my time bringing it back in again.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened? I did bring it in to get my personalized settings changed, maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 08-25-05, 07:27 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stoshiro

Just got home and noticed that my park assist is no longer working. I tried the setting via the info screen, but still nothing.

I tried calling the dealer back, but they just said "Do you want to brig it back in now or later?"

What kind of crappy service is that? So I called back to talk to a tech and after a long while, finally got somebody and he says "You need to bring it in to get diagnosed" didn't even ask if I checked the settings on the info screen.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened? I did bring it in to get my personalized settings changed, maybe that has something to do with it.

hahahahaha the on/off switch isn't on the info screen, it's a button in the "hidden compartment" to the left of the steering wheel. Glad I could be the first one to respond to this one!!

Old 08-25-05, 07:30 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

what do u expect them to say. its not working u probably told them it was working before and now its not working. just take it in
Old 08-25-05, 09:24 PM
stoshiro
Rookie

Ex996 - You can disable it through the info screen on the nav also. look it up

koolaid - I wouldve at least expected them to ask if i checked the switch in the compartment and the info screen. They didn't even ask anything.
Old 08-25-05, 11:15 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks when dealerships don't seem helpful. Which dealer did you take it to?
Old 08-26-05, 08:21 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

koolaid - I wouldve at least expected them to ask if i checked the switch in the compartment and the info screen. They didn't even ask anything.
i know what ur saying most service writes assume the customer knows nothing about their car. im not putting u down or anything thats just how it is
Old 08-26-05, 08:34 AM
stoshiro
Rookie

It was Cerritos, never going back there...I thought Ifor a moment was across the street at the Acura dealership!
Old 08-26-05, 08:50 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

You never said... what it just turned off? Did turining it on with the switch in the hidden compartment fix it?
Old 08-26-05, 10:09 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Ahhhh, I stand corrected!
Old 08-26-05, 03:19 PM
soon2benags4
Rookie

But if you don't see the green P symbol on your gauges, it means the button in the hidden compartment is turned off.
Old 08-27-05, 06:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

and of course, nobody thought of checking the manual? :-)
Old 11-28-05, 03:53 PM
RLex
Driver School Candidate

Default Park assist button

It is funny, but not really that funny. This just happened to me too. I called the service dept and told them the symptoms - after they put my snow tires on I got no more park assist beeps. They said bring it in. when I brought it in, my rep, who I left a msg with but never got back to me went with me out to the car, pushed the P button on my LS430 next the 4 arrow mirror control next to the steering wheel and presto it started working again. I had checked my navigation manual which led me thru all the screens - none of that worked of course. Also the nav manual has no mention of the P button. I am currently looking thru the 500+ page LS430 owners manual for the P button, but only can find pictures of it so far but no explanation - ex. on p 230 you can see it under the button that is used to control the folding mirrors. Maybe there is a special name for this button, if anyone knows, please advise.

BTW, I have had this car for a year now, and one day I will write a list of gripes, but it is just too long right now to start. In my opinion this car is totally overengineered with lots of duplication - like 2 outside temperature displays - what are there 2 groups there at Lexus and both want to have their own temp display? I also had fun with the low tire message, which is on another post. I still have little clue how to use the nav system, although a friend of mine found a web site that shows how to enable the passenger to use it when the car is in motion. I mean for a $60000 car one would think you could get the same nav control passenger capability that anyone with a portable $700 nav system has. I could go on and on, but will save it for another day.

Update! Update! I just figured it out in the manual. First one must go to the "pictorial index" on p x (roman numeral 10). Then one finds that it is button 44, which is not the "Park Assist button", but the "Lexus Park Assist button". Then one also finds this in the index, right beside the only other "lexus-prefixed" feature, the "Lexus link system". So, for future reference in the index, I put my own "park assist" reference in the index under "P".

Last edited by RLex; 11-28-05 at 04:07 PM.