GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pushbutton Start & Key, safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 05:01 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pushbutton Start & Key, safety

I was playing around with the pushbutton start and key the other day, and I discovered something surprising.

I started the car as normal, took the key and placed it at the back of my driveway. Then I drove to the end of my driveway. Other than the warning about the key being out of range, the car kept running.

Will the car ever shutoff automatically after a predefined time of the key being out of range? It would seem to me that this would be an important safety feature. The manual makes no mention of an auto shutoff.

Dave
Old 09-08-05, 05:39 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no it will not shut off
Old 09-08-05, 05:40 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Good question. It certainly reminds me when my wife leaves her purse in the car with her key - it won't let me lock the car.
Old 09-08-05, 07:38 PM
StealthAWD
Driver

Default I did find out that if you accidentally press the button while driving...

The car will shut off - word of caution to those with curious kids with long hands
Old 09-08-05, 09:11 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JHStrange
Good question. It certainly reminds me when my wife leaves her purse in the car with her key - it won't let me lock the car.
took me forever to figure out why when i walk up to the car the lights didnt turn on and i couldnt get the door to unlock automatically.
Old 09-09-05, 02:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I was playing around with the pushbutton start and key the other day, and I discovered something surprising.

I started the car as normal, took the key and placed it at the back of my driveway. Then I drove to the end of my driveway. Other than the warning about the key being out of range, the car kept running.

Will the car ever shutoff automatically after a predefined time of the key being out of range? It would seem to me that this would be an important safety feature. The manual makes no mention of an auto shutoff.

Dave
it wont be shut off, but they wont be able to start it again. this is actually an safety feature in case key somehow gets lost, out of range, thrown out of car, etc...
Old 09-09-05, 04:24 PM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Default starts back up?

So say a child with long arms hits the button while you're doing 60, that kills the engine right? Can you restart it without stopping and putting your foot on the brake? Not advising anyone to try this but curious.
Old 09-09-05, 06:06 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cassiri
So say a child with long arms hits the button while you're doing 60, that kills the engine right? Can you restart it without stopping and putting your foot on the brake? Not advising anyone to try this but curious.
Interesting question..i'll have to try it.....on a safe road....
Old 09-09-05, 06:10 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

So say a child with long arms hits the button while you're doing 60, that kills the engine right?
According to page 351 in the manual you have to press and hold the button for 3 or more seconds in order for it to kill the engine while the car is in motion. If it really is 3 seconds, it's probably unlikely the child would have the opportunity to press it that long without the driver noticing.

Also, pressing the start button while the car's in park will immediately kill the engine and set the switch to ACC.

Last edited by DaveJ; 09-09-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-09-05, 09:31 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cassiri
I did this about a month ago messing around with friends in the car. I was rolling to a stop at a red light and decided to see what would happen. Not only did the car shut off, it wouldnt start again even with my foot on the brake. It took a second for me to realize that it was still in drive. It wouldn't start again until I put the car in park.
Old 09-13-05, 03:07 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Sometimes when I come to a stop and open the door, the door chime sounds, and sometimes it doesn't. What's the deal?
Old 09-13-05, 04:51 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ex996
Sometimes when I come to a stop and open the door, the door chime sounds, and sometimes it doesn't. What's the deal?
Yeah..sometimes the chime goes crazy too....not sure what causes that....
Old 09-14-05, 06:14 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ex996
Yes, I've experienced that too. I experienced the chime goijng off at different times for no apparent reason. When it goes off, I think to myself, now what the heck is it complaining about? The other day it went off when the trunk finished it's auto close operation. Weird.
Old 09-14-05, 10:00 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Yes, I've experienced that too. I experienced the chime goijng off at different times for no apparent reason. When it goes off, I think to myself, now what the heck is it complaining about? The other day it went off when the trunk finished it's auto close operation. Weird.
The 3GS has an automatic trunk closer?
Old 09-14-05, 01:04 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
The 3GS has an automatic trunk closer?
Not really. I couldn't think of anything else to call the automatic locking mechanism. And it does automatically pull the trunk lid closed, just only an inch or two.

This thread is wandering way off topic.

Quick Reply: Pushbutton Start & Key, safety