GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

K&N filter install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 07:48 PM
bigdomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filter install

For those considering installing a K&N filter air filter upgrade, I completed the install tonight. The GS airbox is extremely easy to access. All you have to do is remove the 4 left-most clips on the front engine cover and then lift up to access the left engine cover, then remove the two clips and one screwcap on the left engine cover, unlatch the four clasps on the airbox, lift the airbox cover, swap the filter, and replace everything. Takes about five minutes.

We'll see if the $38 filter actually improves gas mileage and increases horsepower. Could be a waste of $$$.
Old 09-14-05, 07:55 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't belive it does niether one of the things you mentioned To feel a difference you'll have to get SRTw/ecu upgrade or K&N FIPK... Both are complete intakes.... Good Luck

T
Old 09-15-05, 10:13 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should reset your ecu too. I don't know if it's the same procedure for an 06 or not.........probably
Old 09-15-05, 10:58 AM
bigdomer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckb
you should reset your ecu too. I don't know if it's the same procedure for an 06 or not.........probably
Please explain. I need to reset the ECU with the filter upgrade? I am a little ignorant on this, so I am not sure what this will do for me.

What was the procedure to do this on the previous model?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-05, 11:17 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdomer
Please explain. I need to reset the ECU with the filter upgrade? I am a little ignorant on this, so I am not sure what this will do for me.

What was the procedure to do this on the previous model?

Thanks.
it allows the ecu to relearn the new air flow characteristics. also, when you have been driving "normal" for a while, the computer gets lazy and becomes less responsive.

the best way to reset ecu is remove the ecu-b fuse under hood on passenger side. you have to leave it out for at least 30 minutes(sometimes longer). you'll know if it reset or not if your radio settings and seat memory are erased.
Old 03-26-06, 02:52 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bigdomer, so what are the results of the K&N filter? Did it increase acceleration or gas mileage in any way? I'm thinking of getting one if it actually does something.
Old 03-26-06, 07:07 PM
typeshblue
Driver

i would like to know too, i was planning to get one
Old 03-27-06, 05:20 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by typeshblue
i would like to know too, i was planning to get one
A K&N drop in filter will not increase acceleration and don't expect to see any increase in mpg's.
The only advantage over an oem filter is the fact that a K&N can be cleaned and re-used. Everything else is just marketing hype. When its time to change out my filters on both my GS430 and ES300,
I'm going back to OEM.
Old 03-27-06, 09:10 AM
blkvader
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
it allows the ecu to relearn the new air flow characteristics. also, when you have been driving "normal" for a while, the computer gets lazy and becomes less responsive.

the best way to reset ecu is remove the ecu-b fuse under hood on passenger side. you have to leave it out for at least 30 minutes(sometimes longer). you'll know if it reset or not if your radio settings and seat memory are erased.
i had an aftermarket intake on my gs, it made the car sounds sweet but after 3 weeks of use i feel my car wasnt performing the same, i put the stock intake back on and know is working fine again, my question is if i put the aftermarket back on and i do the ecu reset would that make the computer recognized all that extra air that was getting before?
thanks
Old 03-27-06, 01:36 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

My MT 3000GT NA has an EPA estimated 19/25MPG. I have a Blitz Intake + UD pulley and a Lightweight flywheel. I average 24MPG.

I drive less aggressively in my IS350. It has an epa estimated 22/28. I get 22.3MPG =(
Old 03-27-06, 06:37 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blkvader
i had an aftermarket intake on my gs, it made the car sounds sweet but after 3 weeks of use i feel my car wasnt performing the same, i put the stock intake back on and know is working fine again, my question is if i put the aftermarket back on and i do the ecu reset would that make the computer recognized all that extra air that was getting before?
thanks

You really need the ECU for the benifits of the intake. Yes I believe you would experience a noticable improvement in performance with the remap in place. More agressive shifting and RPM range as well.
Old 03-28-06, 07:25 AM
blkvader
Driver

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
You really need the ECU for the benifits of the intake. Yes I believe you would experience a noticable improvement in performance with the remap in place. More agressive shifting and RPM range as well.
what is the ( remap ) sorry dont understand
are you telling me to leave the stock intake system on my car.
thanks
Old 03-28-06, 10:05 AM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

what is the ( remap ) sorry dont understand
are you telling me to leave the stock intake system on my car.
thanks
On my 2nd gen GS I had a SRT intake with and ECU chip. The stock intake system from Lexus has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine. The High Flow Intake SRT system adjusts the air-fuel ratio to optimal settings in conjunction with a high flow Intake system. This system helps the engine breath much better and gives the car quicker acceleration and much crisper throttle response throughout the entire RPM range. The ECU recalibrates the air-fuel ratios for optimal performance and enhanced fuel economy. Basically the ECU tells the computer that the restrictions are not there any more and that it can breath differently giving the equations it needs to perform optimally. Just putting on a Intake pipe is not enough, the computer needs to know what to do with it when it is in place, otherwise it may get confused.
Performance gains: +30HP and +40ft/lb torque.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Raptor.1; 03-28-06 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-29-06, 12:41 PM
blkvader
Driver

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
On my 2nd gen GS I had a SRT intake with and ECU chip. The stock intake system from Lexus has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine. The High Flow Intake SRT system adjusts the air-fuel ratio to optimal settings in conjunction with a high flow Intake system. This system helps the engine breath much better and gives the car quicker acceleration and much crisper throttle response throughout the entire RPM range. The ECU recalibrates the air-fuel ratios for optimal performance and enhanced fuel economy. Basically the ECU tells the computer that the restrictions are not there any more and that it can breath differently giving the equations it needs to perform optimally. Just putting on a Intake pipe is not enough, the computer needs to know what to do with it when it is in place, otherwise it may get confused.
Performance gains: +30HP and +40ft/lb torque.
Hope this helps.
thanks,
where can i get a good price on that intake ?
gs300 2000
thanks again
Old 03-29-06, 01:56 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

thanks,
where can i get a good price on that intake ?
gs300 2000
thanks again
You might want to start here.
http://www.swiftracing.com/
If you get it you will be happy with it, just be ready for it to roar~
GL