GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

IS350 vs GS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 10:37 AM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
Do any of you think that Lexus handed out some ringers for the magazines to test? Not that the IS350 doesn't have amazing performance but 5.1 sec to 60 mph seems a little too good. The Nissan 350Z with 287 HP and a 3200lb weight can pull down a 5.5 second run to 60, the Z even has a slightly better power to weight ratio. I think Road and Tracks 6 sec number is a bit more accurate.

I think it must have been a ringer. I thought maybe it was in the gearing, but it had some of the tallest gearing of any car in the test. It didn't seem to help enough since the magazine still picked the BMW, despite it having reliability issues (ABS).
Old 09-28-05, 10:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
Do any of you think that Lexus handed out some ringers for the magazines to test? Not that the IS350 doesn't have amazing performance but 5.1 sec to 60 mph seems a little too good. The Nissan 350Z with 287 HP and a 3200lb weight can pull down a 5.5 second run to 60, the Z even has a slightly better power to weight ratio. I think Road and Tracks 6 sec number is a bit more accurate.
This has been discussed to death in THIS THREAD , 0-60 mph for the IS350 ranged from 5.1 to 5.5 , to 6 sec., you can find such times vary by as much as 1 sec. for most other cars tested by the various car mags.(BMW 330i got 5.6 sec. by C & D, 6 sec. by others, but as high as mid 6's by the Euro mags. . .
No one test from one mag. is more "believable" than the other, they're tested under different conditions by different drivers.
Old 10-17-05, 12:03 AM
06is350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cassiri
So I'm officially in the "wait for the GS350" camp after seeing the review of the IS350. The latest Car and Driver has the IS350 doing 0-60 in 5.1 and getting 21/28. That is even better 0-60 than Lexus rates it themselves. Interesting since Lexus is usually on the aggresive side of acceleration estimates. I guess the new engine is rated under the new hp rules.

From what I've seen it weighs about the same as a GS at 3600 pounds, so can we expect the same performance from the new GS350? That would be a staggering leap ahead of the current model. If so what will the GS460 and hybrid have to produce to improve on that!
You might get the same straight line performance, but remember that the IS350 VDIM is tuned to allow more sport driving (some 4 wheel drift), while the GS350 VDIM nanny will allow none of that 4 wheel drift silliness.....shoot, the GS430 VDIM applyed the brakes on a onramp straightaway when I bounced the tach off the rev limiter in manual shift mode. Why didn't the tranny just auto shift, instead of going from 50 to 15 in 2 secs? I didn't get it, but neither did some professional car journalists.... Of course, VDIM is Not really an issue if you judge performance only in red neck, straight line drag performance (just don't hit the rev limter). I like to drive my cars as Senna intended ....you know, going 9/10's around corners (on a road course/track).

That being said, I still may buy the GS350 instead of the IS350 for the added size, luxury over the slightly more aggressive (****) VDIM. Question is, can I wait for the 07 GS350 or should I get the GS300 or IS350 now? Any suggestions on the 3 choices? (As you can tell from my name, I'm leaning one way already, but my wife is leaning another way). Thanks in advance y'all. I know this topic has been discussed, but give the Brand newb'ian a break, one love!
Old 10-17-05, 07:07 AM
LexFather

The GS 300 does not have VDIM and we are not sure if the GS 350 willl get it.
Old 10-17-05, 09:34 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06is350
That being said, I still may buy the GS350 instead of the IS350 for the added size, luxury over the slightly more aggressive (****) VDIM. Question is, can I wait for the 07 GS350 or should I get the GS300 or IS350 now? Any suggestions on the 3 choices? (As you can tell from my name, I'm leaning one way already, but my wife is leaning another way). Thanks in advance y'all. I know this topic has been discussed, but give the Brand newb'ian a break, one love!
Test drove the both GS models back to back with both IS models, and they have completely different personalities. The GS felt placid or "luxurious", while the IS was downright frisky. So, if you plan to enter autocrosses, or live near twisty backroads, by all means, get an IS. If you're like the rest of us who DREAM of entering autocrosses or DREAM of moving to the Blue Ridge Parkway or Colorado, but actually rot away in city traffic 98% of the time, then wait for the GS. JB.
Old 10-17-05, 11:08 AM
HemantS
Driver

Bah, I want a GS450h AWD!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-05, 12:29 PM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06is350

I am sort of in the same boat. After driving the IS350, I knew that the size was not going to work for me. So, I decided to run out and pick up a GS300 w/ ML and Nav, but found it a bit underpowered. Now, I am told that the GS350 will be out in April...I'm waiting for that.
Old 10-17-05, 08:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cassiri
I think it must have been a ringer. I thought maybe it was in the gearing, but it had some of the tallest gearing of any car in the test. It didn't seem to help enough since the magazine still picked the BMW, despite it having reliability issues (ABS).
C&D is not the only one to do this....
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106607
Old 10-17-05, 10:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Test drove the both GS models back to back with both IS models, and they have completely different personalities. The GS felt placid or "luxurious", while the IS was downright frisky. So, if you plan to enter autocrosses, or live near twisty backroads, by all means, get an IS. If you're like the rest of us who DREAM of entering autocrosses or DREAM of moving to the Blue Ridge Parkway or Colorado, but actually rot away in city traffic 98% of the time, then wait for the GS. JB.
LMAO - great post.
Old 10-19-05, 07:36 AM
06is350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIS
I am sort of in the same boat. After driving the IS350, I knew that the size was not going to work for me. So, I decided to run out and pick up a GS300 w/ ML and Nav, but found it a bit underpowered. Now, I am told that the GS350 will be out in April...I'm waiting for that.
Makes sense, dealers are being so aggressive in their pricing of the GS300, it seems like an April release could be realistic... still an 06 model? 2006.5? How confident are you, in your source, for the April release date? iow, who told you that?!
Old 10-19-05, 08:21 AM
06is350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Good point J.B. Altough I don't dream of entering autocrosses, or moving anywhere inland, I prefer to live by the coast. But, if anyone wanted to enter autocrosses, I would say that neither the GS or IS automatic is the car of choice. You could enter anything in an autocross, but any RWD, Manual trans car will be a better pick: S2000, Miata, Elise, 330, m3, c350.

I've owned a sportscar for the last 3 years, and have attended 2 High Performance Drivers Education Track Days per year, through the local BMW club at Pacific Raceways Road Course. I've done one autocross, but swerving around cones in first and second gear felt like I wasn't really using the full potential of the car. Although the cones are a lot less intimidating than the concrete barriers! I loved learning to hit apex's, heel toe down shifting, whipping around hairpins, and hitting 140 on the straighaway like I've done at these HPDE events. In 6 events, I've moved up from D to B class, with instructor's and pro's in the A class. Some of the driver's in my first D class, 3 years ago, have decided that they are more comfortable improving their skills and techniques while remaining in the D class. I think it's great that anyone has the desire to learn, can bring their car out to the track, and receive good instruction.

Back to the Lexus; the GS350/300 or IS350 would be a car that I'd take to the Novice / Advanced Skills School, or have as a backup for a High-Performance Driving School at the track if my main ride was unavailable (happened once this year due to o2 sensors after a header install). I think everyone should, and could, do the Novice/Adv School with their daily driver. The VDIM nanny may prove to be too intrusive on the GS for a full track day; the IS may allow some 4 wheel drift or back end out fun, as I read in a review at the Willow Springs Road Course. As, the GS may be a Skills school only car for me, that would still be okay! It's not a sports car, it's a daily driver that's sporty but has tons of comfort and luxury out the wazoo! But, I still want to know that my wife and I, have pushed the car to the handling limits in a safe environment, and know how the car and how the driver will react. Plus, it's great fun to get all of your fast driving out at the track, and follow the rules of the road on the street!

So no matter what we get: GS300, GS350, or IS350, I'll take any of them to the Skills School......but only after a proper break in and an oil change with full syn. oil first!
Old 10-19-05, 11:02 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

06is350
Off topic, but do you have to be a BMW CCA member to attend these driving skills schools that you mentioned? Just wondering. I'm about to Google for more information about such classes here in north Texas. They sound like just what the doctor ordered to combat my daily commute. Thanks.

JB
Old 10-20-05, 08:43 AM
06is350
Driver School Candidate

Default here's a start

JB,

http://www.lscbmwcca.org/motorsports.html

This site should answer some if not all of your questions about the bmw high perf driver education program in your area, it's a blast and you'll learn a lot.......no bmw or prior experience required! You do need to join bmwcca before signing up, some exceptions are made, but it's only a small annual membership fee. The class costs a little bit more, but it's a lot cheaper than a speeding ticket. pm me if you have any questions.

------------------------------------------

for the rest of y'all, in case anyone wants to know, start here and find your local chapter:

http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Tem...ersSection.cfm

http://www.bmwcca.org
Old 10-22-07, 01:14 PM
Wassa786
Driver

well the GS460 is out right? so how is the performance?