GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Interior Plastic Scuffing/Wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 01:54 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior Plastic Scuffing/Wear

Anyone seen scuffing of the plastic covering the area below the B-pillar on the driver's side? This is the body plastic moulding right next to the driver's seat. The picture shows it better than I can explain it.

I'm a tall guy so I have to keep the seat all the way back. I think what's happening is when I enter or exit the car, my side/hip rubs against the plastic. I had my dealer look at it and then couldn't fiqure out the cause. They said it was "damaged" and not covered under warranty.

I can't believe plastic on a Lexus could scuff or wear so easily, let alone only after 5000 miles. Anyone else seen something similar?
Attached Thumbnails Interior Plastic Scuffing/Wear-gs300-interior-b-pillar-interior-scuff-008.jpg  

Last edited by DaveJ; 09-24-05 at 01:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-24-05, 02:29 PM
bigdomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is scuffing too after only 1,400 miles. In my case, it appears to be the seat belt hitting the b pillar when I take off my belt.
Old 09-24-05, 08:46 PM
LittlePix
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Re: Scuffing

I have the same problem and was given the same excuse by the dealership. I am over six feet and when ever I enter the car my body rubs that panel and it looks terrible already with only 5k miles. I wish the dealership or Lexus would at least offer me an option to replace the plastic myself, heck I'd pay for it. Or maybe replace it with a better material.
Old 09-25-05, 08:11 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks LittlePix for confirming my suspicion. What color is your interior? I imagine the darker colors show this more than light colors.

I'm going to take it up with my dealer again. They're right, it's damaged, but is it my fault the materials Lexus used for this component are inferior and wear too easily? I can't believe this is happening after such a short period of usage. I can just imagine how bad will look in 50K+ miles.
Old 09-25-05, 10:57 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Lexus is not the only maker with this problem. I also have a Mazda RX8 and they posted a service bulletin for the same problem. Hopefully Lexus will get enough complaints and fix the problems too.

Here's the Mazda Service Bulletin for your info:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...4-04-1359a.pdf
Old 09-25-05, 12:20 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

I notice the dash and plastics on the 06 gs appears to be of lower quality than the previous models. Anyone else notice this?
Old 09-25-05, 06:29 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Actually i noticed this same problem in my car...however i also have some sharp dents...several of them...like half a dozen or so...i have no idea on how they were created...

I understand the rubbing and wearing...but not sure how the sharp dents were created...any ideas fellas?
Old 09-25-05, 09:57 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have 8k+ mi on the GS now, and there are no such marks on our column. my husband is 6ft and i am 5'7". he doesn't sit all the way back, but far enough back that the seatbelt could hit the column on it's way back during retracting. but i don't see any scratches or dents. we have the ash interior though, so i agree the marks are probably more visible on black.
Old 09-26-05, 09:09 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

We've got 6k on ours and no marks (yet) but we're short 5' 5" although we do have the seat back. This is one area that we looked at in evaluating other cars, MB, BMW; particularly the lower section on the door where it get's scrapped with your shoe getting in and out of tight spots where the door can't open all the way. MB had a fabric section which would have worn quickly. Also the trim around the bottom of the door openings.
Old 09-26-05, 09:56 AM
maddiec
Driver School Candidate

The culprit is your seat belt. I had the same problem with my other car ( MDX ). Scuff marks were really evident due to the hard plastic pillar.
Old 09-26-05, 11:31 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Man, I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!

Also, the black door sill scuff protector is beat up pretty bad as well. I wear a suit every day with hard sole shoes.
Old 09-27-05, 06:05 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ex996
Man, I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!
The same as my problem in the picture I posted? Or the same as the seat belt scuffing problem, which is not my situation.
Old 09-27-05, 09:24 AM
LittlePix
Driver School Candidate

Default scratches and wear and tear

I think things in your pocket, such as my keys (which now stay in my pocket) and other things have been the culprit in my car. As for other cars, I looked into buying a MB CLS but could barely fit in the thing. No head room, tiny back seat, cramped quarters.
Old 09-27-05, 02:34 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveJ
The same as my problem in the picture I posted? Or the same as the seat belt scuffing problem, which is not my situation.
I have the scuffing problem below the B pillar, same as your picture. I was looking at this this am and it could be my elbow when my arm in on the armrest.

I also have a scuff problem on the door sills.
Old 09-29-05, 05:57 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

This is an update to my original post. I've again pursued this with my dealer and they're offering to re-dye the scuffed area. They are not offering any explanation as to how or why this is happening. They said all of these plastic covers are manufactured in a neutral color and then dyed with the appropriate interior color. I think they still feel I'm responsible for the damage, which explains why they will not replace the panel.

I'll going to have them touch it up next week and I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Interior Plastic Scuffing/Wear