GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 11:44 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

Just purchased a black GS300 with Nav, ML and XM. Pretty awesome!

- I am able to upload my address phonebook into the GS's phonebook without any problems. Is there a way to have the persons name show up on the screen when they call me and their number is recognized by the cars address book? Right now it just says incoming call.

- On the telephone quick call entries, number 6 is always labeled "Outside Call". There is no way to delete this entry. The Lexus dealer said this was normal but could not tell me why. Any ideas?

- I understand there are voice commands for the Nav, Climate, and Audio systems... but how about for the phone? Is this something that will be likely added to in future software updates?

- How do I know I have the latest DVD ROM version for the Nav system, and how often is that updated?

- If I park the car, get out, close the door and walk away, will the doors automatically lock themselves?

Thanks
Old 10-10-05, 02:45 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, and welcome!

(1) It should say the caller's name if you transferred it. Not sure why yours wouldn't, but we are learning that various phones act very differently with the BT system, so this may be another one of those differences. I have a Nokia 6230 w/ Cingular and it shows up the name and number if that person is in the phonebook.

(2) Outgoing call is basically "Redial". It's pretty handy actually, because sometimes you just want to call the previous number dialed, and this would be the quick way to do it without picking up your actual phone.

(3) No voice commands for phone unfortunately. Very lame, yes. Esp given most phones have voice dialing now. I am sure this will be upgraded in the future, although it's uncertain whether these upgrades can be applied to this generation of BT systems in the GS; they might only be avail on newer model years.

(4) Nav updates are usually out every year and cost about $275-$300 to get a new DVD. Only the data can be updated, not the actual "system", so the only thing you gain is more roads and POI data. You definitely have the latest and greatest right now. Usually new ones are released in the fall.

(5) NO, doors will not auto lock. I am not sure if this is something you could set at the dealer, but IMO the better thing to do is close the door and press the black button on the handle. It's so fast and probably safer since there is no lag time between walking away and locking your doors.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new GS!
Old 10-10-05, 07:57 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Thanks for the fast response.

It seems a little strange that Acura has such advanced versions of the Nav and Bluetooth systems and how surprising it is that Lexus is not right up there with them.

Scott
Old 10-11-05, 03:11 AM
BillinSoBe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scottmyers
It seems a little strange that Acura has such advanced versions of the Nav and Bluetooth systems and how surprising it is that Lexus is not right up there with them.
I personally don't think Acura's Bluetooth implementation is that much better then that of Lexus. My car pool buddy has a TL and only see's telephone numbers displayed when his phone rings. He actually has to look at his phone before answering.

Additionally the TL only has slots for a couple of voice dial numbers, whereas the GS can import your phone book. If anything both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 10-11-05, 07:46 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Yes, but the Acura allows you to do voice calling. You can actually speak a phone number and it will initiate the call, even while driving.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Lexus, but it seems strange that the Acura has these advanatages. Not to mention the traffic system in the new RL.

Pretty neat stuff.
Old 10-11-05, 08:36 AM
BillinSoBe
Driver School Candidate

Yeah... when NavTraffic is working If you look at the information on XM's website not all roads or highways are covered and some information is limited. The technology isn't quite there yet.

You should read the RL discussions on Edmunds. People complain about NavTraffic being horrible or barely working. Most say they wouldn't pay for it. They only reason people have it is because Acura is GIVING them a year's subscription.
Old 10-11-05, 12:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree on the Traffic thing being still iffy, but I'd like to see voice dial along with phonebook transfer in a Lexus in the near future.