GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Scratches in my new GS300!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 08:28 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Scratches in my new GS300!

I can't believe it, not even a week and a half and I have some terrible scratches on my car. So here's what happened. I was on the highway about to merge onto a ramp on the rightmost lane and there must have been some overhanging tree branches that were on the right side of the guardrail which I barely noticed. By the time I did, it was too late and all I heard was the horrible scraping sound as the branches swept across the right side of my car. When I later got off the highway to investigate, it was much worse than I had expected. There are several scratches, about 3-4 which run across the entire length of the car starting from the front fender right by the headlight all the way to the rear fender. Both door panels, fenders, and even the right rear-view mirror are completely scratched. I'm not sure how deep it is or if they went through the clear coat. I lightly dragged my fingernail across it and most of them don't feel that deep, but certain parts of the scratch definitely feel a bit deeper. Whether it went down to the paint or not, I don't know. I'm extremely angry and upset that this happened, especially since it's a new car. My question is what should I do? How can I get it to look as good as new again? Rubbing compound? Polish? Bring it to the dealership? Help!
Old 10-26-05, 08:58 PM
ilan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to hear that.

If it did not go down to deep I would think that a bit of polishing would take it out. I also saw lexus sells the proper touch-up paint on their website. Just go to the GS page and the Accessories subpage.
Old 10-27-05, 03:49 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Thanks, ilan. Nobody else has any suggestions? 66 people read this thread and only 1 reply.
Old 10-27-05, 04:03 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I used rubbing compound when i had a scratch , messed everything so my advice is stay away from it
Old 10-27-05, 06:21 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

I've rubbed out a few minor scratches on my GS using polishing compound. I for one would not chance using rubbing compound on my expensive GS. Unless you know what you're doing, you can easily make your little scratches far worse.

Based on your description, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to have a professional look at the problem. Your GS costs far too much money to mess with it. Take it to your dealer and a reputable body shop and see what they recommend.
Old 10-27-05, 07:06 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they were able to buff it out in a matter of minutes, leaving it good as new and free of charge. I guess the scratches weren't deep enough to warrant moving it to a local body shop. I'm just happy this ordeal is over with.
Old 10-27-05, 08:09 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Good news!!! I know how you felt. I had it happen to me too and was able to buff it out.
Old 10-27-05, 08:18 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it's such a relief to know that it's all good again. For some reason, it looked so much worse last night when I was shining my flashlight on it then it did this morning under the sun.
Old 10-27-05, 08:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sorry SGT I didn't see this thread until today, glad it turned out OK. For future reference we have an automotive care and detailing forum moderated by a professional detailer and with lots of experienced Lexus detail fanatics chipping in.

Here's a link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/
Old 10-27-05, 08:29 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry SGT I didn't see this thread until today, glad it turned out OK. For future reference we have an automotive care and detailing forum moderated by a professional detailer and with lots of experienced Lexus detail fanatics chipping in.

Here's a link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122
Sorry about that, Dave. You can move this thread if you want.
Old 10-27-05, 08:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Not a problem at all just wish I'd caught it in time to help you out!

I'll leave the post here so other folks learn about that forum too. Great resource.
Old 10-28-05, 09:34 AM
KINGPING
Driver School Candidate

use McGuire's Scratch Removal.. It works for light scratches..
Old 10-29-05, 12:56 AM
06is350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KINGPING
use McGuire's Scratch Removal.. It works for light scratches..
um, go ahead and try this the next time you rub your car against tree branches on the side of an onramp...
Old 10-29-05, 07:36 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06is350
um, go ahead and try this the next time you rub your car against tree branches on the side of an onramp...
Speaking of those damn tree branches, I drove by the same spot when I took my car into the dealership the next morning and saw exactly what caused those scratches. It was a large branch that broke off a tree, presumably during the heavy rains and winds we had this past week, with several smaller branches protruding over the guard rail. It hurt just looking at it. They should really get someone to remove it so that others won't suffer the same fate.
Old 10-29-05, 10:51 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know how you feel.
The wife just backed the 06 into the 2000.I'm not home to see the damage or take care of it.She made a doctors apointment for both cars at the dealership.I hope its just a buff,she seems to think so.

Quick Reply: Scratches in my new GS300!