GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buyer's Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 07:05 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paul_phily
Zetztex -

So if you were to trade the GS what would you consider?

BTW, IMHO, you shouldn't be responsible to replace the console - I know exactly what you're talking about
That's so typical of today's society (i.e. the inability to accept responsiblity for one's actions). If you hit the wood trim w/ your seatbelt and damage it, why shouldn't you be responsible for fixing what you damaged? I mean, where does it stop? If you wash your car with a dirty mit and scratch the paint, do you deserve a new paint job? You could argue that the paint should be more durable. If you spill something on the carpet and it stains, should Lexus pick up the tab for that?

A bit of advice: The dealership replaced the wood trim once at no cost which is more than fair. Since you're already aware that this area is easily susceptable to damage, maybe you should be more careful.

FWIW, my wood trim has no noticable scratches.
Old 10-31-05, 05:43 AM
paul_phily
Driver School Candidate

OK, point well taken.

But what other vehicles would you consider and why??
Old 11-01-05, 08:13 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

a good set of snow tires would make all the difference i'd think.
Old 11-01-05, 08:32 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Snow tires and an AWD vehicle are your safest bet in snow

Snow tires on a RWD vehicle could perform better than an AWD with All Season Tires.

My previous vehicles were RWD with High Profile Summer Tires and my vehicle became just an uncontrollable sled in the snow. That was not fun.

After test driving the GS300 AWD and GS430 (loved the GS430), I opted for a 2006 BMW 530xi. Sure it doesn't have as much HP as the RL, however if you are looking for an AWD vehicle that still is fun to drive, the BMW wins hand down in terms of the fun factory. Sure the reliability of BMW is not as great as some of the other Japanese Mfg, but it's still decent.

Test drive a 2006 BMW 530xi and you will know what I am talking about in regards to this driving fun factor.
Old 11-01-05, 09:16 PM
carminesc
Rookie

considering the gs was released in february there should be a lot of other gs owners who can give or share experiences. someone from an area that had some snowfall this last winter please give the guy some info. good and bad. i would give you insight but my location is snow free year round. Snow tires would be an enormous help though

if you end up leaning towards the rl please note this car is just not that exciting to drive. 300hp is a gimmick. althought i do think the interior lighting and the navi are excellent. everything else comes in a distant second to my gs.

wish i could give info that would help your decision but maybe someone with some experience will respond.
Old 11-02-05, 04:42 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Snow tires and an AWD vehicle are your safest bet in snow

Snow tires on a RWD vehicle could perform better than an AWD with All Season Tires.

My previous vehicles were RWD with High Profile Summer Tires and my vehicle became just an uncontrollable sled in the snow. That was not fun.

After test driving the GS300 AWD and GS430 (loved the GS430), I opted for a 2006 BMW 530xi. Sure it doesn't have as much HP as the RL, however if you are looking for an AWD vehicle that still is fun to drive, the BMW wins hand down in terms of the fun factory. Sure the reliability of BMW is not as great as some of the other Japanese Mfg, but it's still decent.

Test drive a 2006 BMW 530xi and you will know what I am talking about in regards to this driving fun factor.
A few years ago Car and Driver tested this issue on some awd cars and suvs. It seems a good snow tire like a Blizzak or an Alpin will increase traction slightly more than 30% compared to a good "all season" tire. Awd increases traction by 100%. This, of course, only speaks to initial traction, not handling or braking. If your problem is getting up a hill or hilly driveway then awd with the all seasons is better. If you want better braking and turning then the rwd with snow tires is better.
Old 12-13-05, 07:24 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smedley
Yup. So far I am regretting this purchase. I have a 2006 GS 300 AWD. I bought it in July. The seat is uncomfortable. The cars pulls badly to the left on the highway and the dealer tells me there is nothing that can be done about it. We just had a good sized snow storm (MA) and the car handled no better than my previous car that was equipped only with traction control.

The biggest issue is the 'pulling to the lef't'. The dealer says that the car is extremely "crown sensitive" meaning the car will pull according to the curvature of the road. I took the service manager for a ride to show him that it only pulls to the left regardless of what lane I'm in. His answer after a few days was that it is a design flaw.

The seat obviously I can't complain about, since I tricked myself into believing that it would adjust a bit over time, but it still cuts into my legs (I'm 6'4" 250). The disappointing performance in the snow can be rectified with snow tires, but I mistakenly believed that AWD would negate the need for snows - I never needed them on my Audi A6 (3 cars ago).

I'm not intending on bashing the car - it has good power, smooth ride and some great features. However, I saw this thread in the forum and felt I had to post. Thanks.
How many miles do you have on your car? When did the "pulling to the left" start happening? Sorry to hear about your problems. I just had a chance to test out my GS300 AWD in deep unplowed snow on the Palisades Pkwy. (about 4-6 inches) this past weekend on my way up to Windham mountain to go snowboarding and it handled very well. I'm riding on 18's and all-season tires. So far, after 2100 miles, I've been extremely pleased with almost every aspect of this car.
Old 12-13-05, 08:10 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by paul_phily
I recently purchased a 2005 GS300AWD, loaded, and am having second thoughts about trading it for the Acura RL or Infiniti M. The M's interior layout doesn't please me, but the driveability of the car does. Regarding the Acura, everyone seems to be really praising the SH-AWD and 300 HP.

What's a guy to do??
Rule #1: Don't buy a car with an interior you can't live with, because that's what you see and feel every time you get in the car. I, too, do not like the M's interior--it seems to me Infiniti couldn't decide to go retro or contemporary on the interior, what with aluminum finish, matte wood and analog clock; and that expansive (not expensive) center console with buttons/***** on TOP facing the ceiling just kills me.
Old 12-13-05, 09:34 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have close to 8000 miles. I believe it always has pulled to the left. You know, I have to admit something...After making this post, I realized that I never used the "SNOW" switch, LOL! I forgot all about it. So maybe it is a magic switch and really does something? I know the "POWER" switch really seems to give the car a boost, so who knows?
I got a chance to try out the SNOW mode and I definitely felt a difference between normal and SNOW mode. In SNOW mode, it starts the car in second gear and decreases the torque so that slippage is reduced. Also, you can definitely feel the power output go down with SNOW mode on, which is a good thing because there's less of a chance for the tires to spin. I still have yet to try out the POWER mode, but from what I've heard it lengthens the amound of time the car stays in gear and provides a bit more power and acceleration.
Old 12-13-05, 09:53 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Smedley: Sorry to hear your buyers remorse, Id like to chime in and help you to try to get the pulling resolved because that would make my decision to buy a gs 350 easier. We need to disprove that its a design flaw. First of all, if there is anything that you keep in the trunk or in the back of the car or passenger seat above 50 pounds, make sure that is or was not present when they aligned the car, bmws especially are notorious for senesitivities to weight in the car because it can throw the alignment machine off
Second: GO TO ANOTHER DEALER TO GET IT ALIGNED, there are numerous cses where the alignment machine is defective or just not up to speed on certain days and since it is a precision instrument, it could be reading dead center when its not, also the tech could be making an error.
Third: Try different tires, (or at least rotate of the current ones) there is a such thing as "radial pull" your tires could cause pull even if the car is dead straight aligned and on perfectly flat road.
Fourth: Make sure they are centering the wheel, some places will align a car and not bother to center the wheel. this is key and may be the issue here, the tech may be shortcutting and not checking the wheel and simply looking for caster/camber out of whack
Fifth: make sure all tires are inflated as close to uniform as you can get them
Sixth: If all else fails, ask to drive another new GS on the same road to see what it does, easy way to test for a design defect this way. For the above issues, ask for lexus's help through another dealer and/or go to another independant shop for their input on the issue.
Seventh: dont know about the GS but if you are slamming the gas on acceleration, there could be torgue steer and/or differential pull (most differentials do not evenly transfer power between left and right wheels thus giving you a main drive wheel that will have more power which is noticable under hard acceration) if you are noticing pull on acceleration then this is the problem, if you are coasting as steady speed and have the pull then it is not.

I am confident one or more of my suggestions will cure your problem (as long as your car does not have bent frame from some sort of accident). Good luck with it and please do post me a response of the outcome and/or PM me because I am most interested in learning if you were able to get it resolved.

Last edited by Nauticalx; 12-13-05 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 08:13 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

WOW, isnt that a coincidence, maybe he read it then again lexus is reported to have great service so maybe they noticed that the issue was still unresolved and decided to phoen you! good luck and do keep up posted!
Old 12-14-05, 12:11 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess he didn't want to loose your buisness.I haven't had the oppertunity to drive in the snow yet(I haven't been home in a while).I also haven't noticed any pulling on my car,I put the run flats back on for the winter it might change the cars driveability.
Old 01-04-06, 07:56 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Yup. So far I am regretting this purchase. I have a 2006 GS 300 AWD. I bought it in July. The seat is uncomfortable. The cars pulls badly to the left on the highway and the dealer tells me there is nothing that can be done about it. We just had a good sized snow storm (MA) and the car handled no better than my previous car that was equipped only with traction control.

The biggest issue is the 'pulling to the lef't'. The dealer says that the car is extremely "crown sensitive" meaning the car will pull according to the curvature of the road. I took the service manager for a ride to show him that it only pulls to the left regardless of what lane I'm in. His answer after a few days was that it is a design flaw.

The seat obviously I can't complain about, since I tricked myself into believing that it would adjust a bit over time, but it still cuts into my legs (I'm 6'4" 250). The disappointing performance in the snow can be rectified with snow tires, but I mistakenly believed that AWD would negate the need for snows - I never needed them on my Audi A6 (3 cars ago).

I'm not intending on bashing the car - it has good power, smooth ride and some great features. However, I saw this thread in the forum and felt I had to post. Thanks.
When I drove my GS AWD off the lot it pulled to the left also. I sent it back to the dealer and to diagnose it they:

- rotated the tires; still pulled left
- 4 wheel alignment; fixed

I'm assuming they re-alighned your car?
Old 01-04-06, 08:07 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SH-AWD main advatage is really not in the snow, your not going to be driving 60mph in a 30mph zone in the snow. SH-AWD does haev a good advantage in the dry, b/c its the only wheel system that transfer power left to right as well as front to back. Itsis pretty much the best AWD system offered.

The thing is you have to push the snot out the car to get SH-AWD to activate and if you look at the RL peak pwer, your driving at 6000rpm to get it, so when will u actually use it?

The RL if you look at tests, its 300hp in name only. It has 260lbs of torque and the car weighs 4000lbs. The acceleration times are only a tick or 2 more than a 245hp GS 300 AWD.

The M has 280hp and is quicker than the RL with 300hp, it also is faster than the GS.

Its funny how things are marketed, SH-AWD makes more sense in a sports car, where the outer limits will be explored and the system will be put to good use.
Exactly, keep in mind, horsepower/torque is just a number. All of that is dependant on curb weight, weight distribution, suspension, etc. What matters are the track times (0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom). Bottom line, the M35/x outperforms all of them and us. The Acura RL has the best bang for your buck combo of technology, comfort and performance.

The Lexus is a "Lexus". If someone asks what kind of car you drive and you say Lexus", the immediate impression is "wow they have a nice car, expensive". If you say you have an Acura or Infiniti it's not as impressive. Acura and Infiniti don't seem to be on the same socio-economic level as Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Also, people say the RL looks like an Accord on steroirds. Do you want to pay almost $50k for a car that some people think looks like an Accord. Yet, sometimes I see a new Toyota Avalon and it looks like it's derived from the GS. Anyways, I bought an AWD Lexus GS because it was nice and we got a good deal. The dealers arounbd here didn't move much on the price of an Infiniti M. If you want a real nice sports sedan and don't want to spend +$70k buy a used E55 AMG or BMW M5. Those are FUN cars to drive. For me, the GS AWD is a supreme family car that looks really sick! Also, I had an Acura for 10 years and wanted something different.
Old 01-04-06, 11:24 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by nardeezy
Exactly, keep in mind, horsepower/torque is just a number. All of that is dependant on curb weight, weight distribution, suspension, etc. What matters are the track times (0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom). Bottom line, the M35/x outperforms all of them and us. The Acura RL has the best bang for your buck combo of technology, comfort and performance.

The Lexus is a "Lexus". If someone asks what kind of car you drive and you say Lexus", the immediate impression is "wow they have a nice car, expensive". If you say you have an Acura or Infiniti it's not as impressive. Acura and Infiniti don't seem to be on the same socio-economic level as Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Also, people say the RL looks like an Accord on steroirds. Do you want to pay almost $50k for a car that some people think looks like an Accord. Yet, sometimes I see a new Toyota Avalon and it looks like it's derived from the GS. Anyways, I bought an AWD Lexus GS because it was nice and we got a good deal. The dealers arounbd here didn't move much on the price of an Infiniti M. If you want a real nice sports sedan and don't want to spend +$70k buy a used E55 AMG or BMW M5. Those are FUN cars to drive. For me, the GS AWD is a supreme family car that looks really sick! Also, I had an Acura for 10 years and wanted something different.
I agree, when people compare the M35/M45 to the GS and call the M such an advanced car with power and features, it does not compare at all in recognition prestige or durability. The M is only known as such and advanced and well featured cars to those that are car savvy, for most people, when you sit a GS next to an M , they will be like what the hell is that thing next to that sexy Lexus!

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse?