GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buyer's Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 01:57 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
Rule #1: Don't buy a car with an interior you can't live with, because that's what you see and feel every time you get in the car. I, too, do not like the M's interior--it seems to me Infiniti couldn't decide to go retro or contemporary on the interior, what with aluminum finish, matte wood and analog clock; and that expansive (not expensive) center console with buttons/***** on TOP facing the ceiling just kills me.
Well, beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder because I have no buyer's remorse at all over my M, and as a matter of fact the only interior that has impressed me as much was that in my SC430. I have the aluminum rather than the matte wood, but I happen to love the mix of retro and contemporary. I didn't love the bland interior in the new GS that IMO doesn't look as expensive (or expansive) as the one in my '03 GS3. To each his own.
Old 01-04-06, 02:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nardeezy
Exactly, keep in mind, horsepower/torque is just a number. All of that is dependant on curb weight, weight distribution, suspension, etc. What matters are the track times (0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom). Bottom line, the M35/x outperforms all of them and us. The Acura RL has the best bang for your buck combo of technology, comfort and performance.

The Lexus is a "Lexus". If someone asks what kind of car you drive and you say Lexus", the immediate impression is "wow they have a nice car, expensive". If you say you have an Acura or Infiniti it's not as impressive. Acura and Infiniti don't seem to be on the same socio-economic level as Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Also, people say the RL looks like an Accord on steroirds. Do you want to pay almost $50k for a car that some people think looks like an Accord. Yet, sometimes I see a new Toyota Avalon and it looks like it's derived from the GS. Anyways, I bought an AWD Lexus GS because it was nice and we got a good deal. The dealers arounbd here didn't move much on the price of an Infiniti M. If you want a real nice sports sedan and don't want to spend +$70k buy a used E55 AMG or BMW M5. Those are FUN cars to drive. For me, the GS AWD is a supreme family car that looks really sick! Also, I had an Acura for 10 years and wanted something different.
Typically it is the people who are most insecure about their "socio-economic status" that are most impressed by brands.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-04-06 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 03:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
Typically it is the people who are most insecure about their "socio-economic status" that are most impressed by brands.
That is your opinion, far from a fact. Lexus, BMW and Benz have EARNED their stripes by putting out top products for YEARS, DECADES for the Germans and 15+ years for Lexus, people are impressed b/c they EARNED it, these are top cars.
Old 01-05-06, 10:40 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The U.S. is all about socio-economic status, that's why the Japanese auto mfg's (Honda, Nissan and Toyota) branded their vehcles with a different name in the states, to create that "luxury" market. I don't think they did it just for the people who are insecure about their soci-economic status. If you ask an\ybody that is not a car enthusiast which brand they think is more "luxury", out of the 3 they will tell you Lexus. Infiniti is a more sporty than luxury, Acura is a subtle combo of both and Lexus is more luxury. Lexus has marketed their vehcle line more successfully to the public as a the Japanese luxury vehicle.

I notice that you own all Nissan powered vehicle's, which is great. You are an exception to most Americans, you're not into the branding. I'm not sure as to your reasoning driving all Nissan pwered cars. However, if you wanted a real high performance sedan with branding not an issue, based on ratings from established auto editors and race car drivers you should have bought a Chrysler 300C SRT8 or Dodge Charger SRT8 for the same amount of dough (maybe less) than your M45, even after market value. Don't get me wrong the M45 is a bad *** car too.

To tell you the truth, I would've got the 300C SRT8 but my wife didn't like the car, the gas mileage is low and I'll be using it to drive my 3 month old around. I'm not gonna drive aggressive with the baby. I would've got the Infiniti M but the dealers were not moving much on price (market value). We though about the MBZ E-Class (price was a concern) and BMW 530 (new style a concern). Therefore, my wife and I liked the Lexus GS for a family car, we got a good deal. I didn't feel comfortable buying the Acura because it does look like a very expensive Accord. I'm not insecure about my socio-economic status, I've been driving the same car since I got out of high school (10 year old Integra). We went for the best bang for the buck, which we was the Lexus GS.
Old 01-05-06, 01:21 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nardeezy
The U.S. is all about socio-economic status, that's why the Japanese auto mfg's (Honda, Nissan and Toyota) branded their vehcles with a different name in the states, to create that "luxury" market. I don't think they did it just for the people who are insecure about their soci-economic status. If you ask an\ybody that is not a car enthusiast which brand they think is more "luxury", out of the 3 they will tell you Lexus. Infiniti is a more sporty than luxury, Acura is a subtle combo of both and Lexus is more luxury. Lexus has marketed their vehcle line more successfully to the public as a the Japanese luxury vehicle.

I notice that you own all Nissan powered vehicle's, which is great. You are an exception to most Americans, you're not into the branding. I'm not sure as to your reasoning driving all Nissan pwered cars. However, if you wanted a real high performance sedan with branding not an issue, based on ratings from established auto editors and race car drivers you should have bought a Chrysler 300C SRT8 or Dodge Charger SRT8 for the same amount of dough (maybe less) than your M45, even after market value. Don't get me wrong the M45 is a bad *** car too.

To tell you the truth, I would've got the 300C SRT8 but my wife didn't like the car, the gas mileage is low and I'll be using it to drive my 3 month old around. I'm not gonna drive aggressive with the baby. I would've got the Infiniti M but the dealers were not moving much on price (market value). We though about the MBZ E-Class (price was a concern) and BMW 530 (new style a concern). Therefore, my wife and I liked the Lexus GS for a family car, we got a good deal. I didn't feel comfortable buying the Acura because it does look like a very expensive Accord. I'm not insecure about my socio-economic status, I've been driving the same car since I got out of high school (10 year old Integra). We went for the best bang for the buck, which we was the Lexus GS.
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. I think you brought up socio-economic status, so that led me to believe that was the reason for your purchase.

Just so you understand where I'm coming from, I owned Lexuses for years... pre-owned '99 SC300, '01 GS300, '03 RX300, '03 SC430, '03 GS300. My father always owned Lexuses, starting with a '91 LS400, so the minute I became financially able to afford a true "luxury" vehicle Lexus was the first brand I thought of. For me, it was "aspirational".

However, I've now been fortunate enough to own luxury cars long enough not to feel the need to own a brand that everyone considers a "status" brand. Also, the other Japanese carmakers (i.e. Acura, Infiniti) are producing cars that come pretty close to Lexus on the luxury and reliability front and offer more driver involvement. Infiniti has nailed it for me. My M and FX have given me no more trouble than any of my Lexuses and offer more fun to drive. At 16,000 miles, my FX looks as new as the day I took delivery and doesn't have all the wear and tear many on this board have predicted. The Max was purchased for my g/f as a replacement for her RX300. She's not a "car person" at all but loves the driveability of the Max. There's also a similarity in interior layout between the FX and Max so when I drive either it's not like learning a brand new car each time. That's why I now own Nissan brands. I'm also not hung up on "platform sharing" because in the end it offers me more car for less money. Re: the 300C, I don't think it comes with the reliability and dealer service Lexus and/or Infiniti offer so it was never a consideration.

I still think Lexus makes an outstanding car, and I would still likely pick one over BMW, MB, or Audi, but I'm still waiting for them to introduce a car that will bring me back to the brand. In the interim, I still visit this forum from time to time to see what's new. Sometimes I feel the need to defend my choices, but it's good to see things have settled down. Enjoy your GS!
Old 01-05-06, 01:24 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is your opinion, far from a fact. Lexus, BMW and Benz have EARNED their stripes by putting out top products for YEARS, DECADES for the Germans and 15+ years for Lexus, people are impressed b/c they EARNED it, these are top cars.
So, in reality, it is not the BRAND that people are impressed by but the QUALITY that it represents. Thanks for supporting my original point.
Old 01-07-06, 10:23 AM
carminesc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have noticed a very big pull to either left or right. this is as you mentioned when there is any kind of indentation on the road. it doesnt happen often and i think i only remember it when i am pulling up to a stoplight that has a well worn road. there is an intersection right near my home that i always have this problem and the road is well worn there so i dont mind so much because i am prepared.
it doesnt happen that often and i can usually see the road ahead soon enough to be prepared anyway. i agree that it is much more exaggerated than any other vehicle i have been in though.