GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: 530 or GS 430
BMW 530
14.74%
Lexus GS 430
85.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

BMW 530 or Lexus GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 10:39 PM
delirium
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 530 or Lexus GS430?

The BMW 530 is still more expensive to a comprably equipped Lexus GS430.. so using common sense, why would anyone buy the BMW? I like the BMW because I think that it has more edge, it looks like it is for a younger driver, and its more sports oriented with its optional SMG and sports package...

So Is the GS for older drivers (40 yrs. +) and the BMW for drivers in their 30's? I am in my 30's and the BMWs looks appeal to me more, the GS looks like I can get into it 7-10 years from now. But the difference in features is really big. Mainly the GPS, and sound system on the Lexus. The Lexus is also a V8, but they feel pretty similar speedwise... anyway what do you guys think??
Old 11-09-05, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i honestly don't think age is an issue, the gs is a lot for the young people too imho. heck i am 27 and i have both the gs400 and the sc430. i am not old

you have to ask yourself what you want. handling, driving feel, steering response, or you want the overall package of comfort, quality, quietness, luxury, and some other luxury gadgets. that will determine what's good for you
Old 11-09-05, 10:58 PM
ilan
Driver School Candidate

If your leasing, I think that BMW might have a more aggressive lease package that will make the price difference a non issue.

As far as performance I think the GS300 is more of a direct competitor to the 530 than the GS430 which would probably match up against the 545.

Personally, I drove an M3 from 95 to 04 and another M3 from 04 to 05. I'm 31 and was ready for a switch to either the 5, A6 or GS300. I went with the GS300. I can't regret it as the Lexus has the creature comforts to die for with the supple leather, Mark Levinson system playing dvd's with pristine surround sound and generally the fit and finish. Also, around the time I was making my decision a friend of mine had to return their 5 due to the lemon law because of all kinds of issues with the electronics (computer would crash on the freeway, car wouldn't start on numerous occasions etc.).

As for the look, I think your thoughts are correct. However, with some nice wheels and a bit of lowering I think the GS will look plenty young. The 5 would look pretty sweet that way too. I just came to a point where I decided that since I spend more time on the inside looking out than vica versa, the GS was the more comfortable choice. You can't go far wrong with either of those cars though so my best advice is get both and alternate based on your daily whims .
Old 11-10-05, 07:28 PM
JGS
Driver School Candidate

hmmm. i had the same dilemma for sometime now (6 month to be specific). i eventually ended up buying the GS 300 over the 530, and heck am 28 too (its you that makes the age of the car =)

Drivability and fun: I’d say if your looking for fun driving and quick jumps on the highway (while the car is in stack mode) then the beemer is much fun to drive (i test drove it). its better by far in terms handability than the gs, and audi A6 too. especially at high speeds 240 km/hours (150 m/h) =D

Interior: i love the styling on the GS its far more luxuries than the bmw and its fully loaded as you mentioned. However i believe the leather quality of the beemer is more durable and heavy-duty (feels more like the real thing). but the seat styling of the GS is better IMHO.

Reliability: Jap cars rule, you push them to their limits and they never complain, plus you could afford to forget 1-3 visits (even more) to the dealer for the regular checkups (with no worry about the car), but i would not advice as you might loose the warranty. 530 is a car that needs a lot of attention and you really need to spoil and pamper it (which cost money) =(

Dealer: am speaking for my country when i say Lexus dealer are the best when in comes to after sales service, by far better than bmw dealer here.
Old 11-10-05, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JGS
hmmm. i had the same dilemma for sometime now (6 month to be specific). i eventually ended up buying the GS 300 over the 530, and heck am 28 too (its you that makes the age of the car =)

Drivability and fun: I’d say if your looking for fun driving and quick jumps on the highway (while the car is in stack mode) then the beemer is much fun to drive (i test drove it). its better by far in terms handability than the gs, and audi A6 too. especially at high speeds 240 km/hours (150 m/h) =D

Interior: i love the styling on the GS its far more luxuries than the bmw and its fully loaded as you mentioned. However i believe the leather quality of the beemer is more durable and heavy-duty (feels more like the real thing). but the seat styling of the GS is better IMHO.

Reliability: Jap cars rule, you push them to their limits and they never complain, plus you could afford to forget 1-3 visits (even more) to the dealer for the regular checkups (with no worry about the car), but i would not advice as you might loose the warranty. 530 is a car that needs a lot of attention and you really need to spoil and pamper it (which cost money) =(

Dealer: am speaking for my country when i say Lexus dealer are the best when in comes to after sales service, by far better than bmw dealer here.
Welcome to Clublexus
Old 11-10-05, 08:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by delirium
The BMW 530 is still more expensive to a comprably equipped Lexus GS430.. so using common sense, why would anyone buy the BMW? I like the BMW because I think that it has more edge, it looks like it is for a younger driver, and its more sports oriented with its optional SMG and sports package...

So Is the GS for older drivers (40 yrs. +) and the BMW for drivers in their 30's? I am in my 30's and the BMWs looks appeal to me more, the GS looks like I can get into it 7-10 years from now. But the difference in features is really big. Mainly the GPS, and sound system on the Lexus. The Lexus is also a V8, but they feel pretty similar speedwise... anyway what do you guys think??
I drove a 530 without the sport kit and I was very unimpressed. So you have to get the sport kit. And even so, the GS 430s extra power and features are worth the money to me.

The BMW's image is sportier and younger, I can understand how that plays a role. However, the GS is suprisingly a younger mans car too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173504

Good luck, both great choices.
Old 11-10-05, 09:25 PM
LexFather

POLL TIME!!!
Old 11-11-05, 06:53 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

There is no comparision the gs all the way, now if you want to compare with the 550i youll have to wait for the gs460.
Old 11-11-05, 07:38 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

545 or bust yep
Old 11-11-05, 12:06 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I would choose 550i over GS430, but not 530i. Although 530i is just 50lbs more than 330i, I still think paying $50k for car with a three liter six cylinder engine is foolish.
Old 11-11-05, 12:40 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you have to ask yourself what you want. handling, driving feel, steering response, or you want the overall package of comfort, quality, quietness, luxury, and some other luxury gadgets. that will determine what's good for you
This best describes the main difference between the two cars.

The choice to me is very simple - are you an outright performance/driving feel kind of person, or does the whole package mean more to you - luxury, capable handler, very reliable etc? The first choice is obviously BMW and the second is Lexus.

I like to think of myself as more of a performance-handling-driving feel kind of guy, but I still bought a GS400. Why? Very simple - at the end of the day, reliability was more important to me. I also weighed the fact that I could mod the GS and get close to the BMW's dynamic handling characteristics (but not surpass of course - as BMW's have a secret recipe for their excellent overall chassis dynamics etc). Now I have the best of both worlds! A very reliable, luxury car with excellent handling and performance.
Old 11-11-05, 08:37 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I wanted AWD:

1. I chose a BMW 530xi over a GS300AWD - easy decision. The BMW was sportier, quicker, handled better and more fun to drive. The GS300AWD was fine (reminded me of the loaner ES330 a little & left me wanting more.

2. If I didn't need AWD (which I was also thinking about too), I would have compared the 530i Sport to the GS430, since they are comparable in price (I would get the 550i in a heartbeat if I could). However the 530i vs GS430 would still be a close one, since the GS430 with those 18" rims and V8 Engine is amazing and should be considered a a step up from the 530i, however again the 530i sport was more fun to drive once again and does give you that younger / sportier look than a GS430. I'm 32 and feeling old already.

3. All in all the Lexus has the better reliability and interior, whereas the BMW has the sportier looks (IMO) and the driving fun factor. When you buy a car for this much money, you really want this fun factor. And don't be scared about the BMW reliability, it's still decent and and at least it's covered for 4 years / 50K Miles.

Last edited by lexguynj; 11-12-05 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 06:44 AM
JGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to Clublexus

Thanks bro I was quite impressed to receive your welcome, I thought that I’de better start with a low profile and work through. Anyways thanks =) and am glad to be part of this club.

Takecare,
JGS
Old 11-13-05, 08:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

If you are going to get the SMG or 6-speed manual, then 530 all the way. If you are going automatic, then you would be crazy not to get the GS. Whatever you do, don't drive the 550.
Old 11-13-05, 08:43 PM
merlin70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a 530 and was very unimpressed. The car felt underpowered IMO.

From what I have seen, most of the people who buy the 530 don't know about cars or performance, they buy it because it is a BMW and they want to look good pulling into the golf club.

I think the Lexus GS430 for the same price as a 6-cyl bad-reliability BMW is the definition of no-brainer. However, since a lot of BMW 530's are on the road either I am wrong or people are stupid!

Quick Reply: BMW 530 or Lexus GS430?