GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

sombody wanna give it a try? disable VDIM

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 01:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default sombody wanna give it a try? disable VDIM

disclaimer: i am NOT liable for any information posted or whatever happens to your car. i just saw this stuff and think it would be interesting to see if it applies on the 3gs as well, especially when the VDIM is more sensitive on the 3gs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...25#post1588625

if you try, maybe you can post the results. but please, drive careful!
Old 11-18-05, 01:03 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it. It works just like on the IS. The traction control/VDIM light comes on as well as a message in the center display that reads "Check VSA" and a yellow warning light in the shape of an exclamation point within a circle.

I can't wait to find an empty parking lot to have some fun in!
Old 11-18-05, 01:27 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you keep us posted!/\/\
Old 11-18-05, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwaters
I tried it. It works just like on the IS. The traction control/VDIM light comes on as well as a message in the center display that reads "Check VSA" and a yellow warning light in the shape of an exclamation point within a circle.

I can't wait to find an empty parking lot to have some fun in!
and just make sure you have good insurance coverage first..... just in case
Old 11-18-05, 03:22 PM
SanseiGS43
Driver

Works on the 06 430 !
Old 11-19-05, 08:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

It's more like how to disable VSC not VDIM. VDIM is not defeatable as of yet.
Old 11-19-05, 11:07 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Please explain to me how VDIM is still working when the traction control and VSC are disabled.
Old 11-19-05, 03:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Please explain to me how VDIM is still working when the traction control and VSC are disabled.
did you try it out yet? Try burnout or shake that booty a bit and see if it moves... if it does, "problem" solved.

Someone already posted it works on IS, atlhough car becomes tail happy, but what do you expect... At least, owners will be able to see how much better their new tires are from the stock :-).
Old 11-19-05, 03:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

they are totally different systems
Old 11-19-05, 04:28 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
they are totally different systems
Doesn't VDIM work by controlling the TRAC, VSC, ABS & VGRS together? With VSC and TRAC disabled how can it still intervene when the wheels start to lose traction? My belief is that it cannot. Maybe VDIM itself isn't 100% off since it could technically still be making some sort of adjustments to the steering ratio or the ABS, but thats about it.

Either way, I have already tried it on my GS430. I had no problems getting the wheels to spin or break loose. While I didn't push it to the limit (I wasn't driving on a track or anything), it sure seems to be disabled to me. The difference is pretty drastic in aggressive driving.

Last edited by jwaters; 11-19-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 12:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Doesn't VDIM work by controlling the TRAC, VSC, ABS & VGRS together? With VSC and TRAC disabled how can it still intervene when the wheels start to lose traction? My belief is that it cannot. Maybe VDIM itself isn't 100% off since it could technically still be making some sort of adjustments to the steering ratio or the ABS, but thats about it.

Either way, I have already tried it on my GS430. I had no problems getting the wheels to spin or break loose. While I didn't push it to the limit (I wasn't driving on a track or anything), it sure seems to be disabled to me. The difference is pretty drastic in aggressive driving.
so it works... it disables VDIM.... How does it feel?
Old 11-20-05, 02:13 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
so it works... it disables VDIM.... How does it feel?
It feels more responsive. Acceleration is more instantaneous (no more delay which I originally thought was caused by the drive-by-wire, but now believe has to do w/ VDIM processing information before putting power to the ground). When accelerating from a stop the wheels will spin fairly easily with the accelerator pedal down approx. 3/4 of the way. If you floor the accelerator pedal when entering a sharp turn the back end will break loose and slide out a bit. Either way, like I said before I didn't take it on a track or an empty parking lot yet (probably won't find one of those until after the Holidays) so I didn't really push it to the max.
Old 11-22-05, 12:17 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

I gave it a try too. There's still not enough power to spin the wheels from a dead stop. You can, however, spin the wheels while cornering. I don't think it is any more responsive, it just gives that impression because the VIDM system doesn't take over like it does at the slightest sign of anything out of the ordinary.

I might go to a deserted parking lot and play a bit too. But VIDM is a good thing for normal driving. It's not the times when you expect VIDM to help that it's a great thing... it's the times when you least expect it that it's worth its weight in gold.
Old 11-22-05, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DrComputer
I gave it a try too. There's still not enough power to spin the wheels from a dead stop. You can, however, spin the wheels while cornering. I don't think it is any more responsive, it just gives that impression because the VIDM system doesn't take over like it does at the slightest sign of anything out of the ordinary.

I might go to a deserted parking lot and play a bit too. But VIDM is a good thing for normal driving. It's not the times when you expect VIDM to help that it's a great thing... it's the times when you least expect it that it's worth its weight in gold.
that's weird. i could spin the wheels from dead stop with everything on? they kick in afterwards, but i was able to spin wheels
Old 11-22-05, 07:24 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
that's weird. i could spin the wheels from dead stop with everything on? they kick in afterwards, but i was able to spin wheels
Same here.

Quick Reply: sombody wanna give it a try? disable VDIM