GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

M3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 02:59 PM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3?

As you can guess by my name on the forum, I originally planned to get an IS350 when it came out. After driving it, realized that it just was not going to work size wise. Well, then I drove the GS430, and the VDIM was soooo intrusive, that I decided it was not going to work either. So, then I put a deposit down on an M3. My M3 just came in (silver-gray, competition package, smg, etc) and I am supposed to go in and finalize the paperwork on Saturday. Now that I see VDIM is defeatable, my interest in the GS has been renewed, and I am, once again, confused as to what I should get.

Anyone have anything for me?? Anyone come out of an M3 to a GS, or wishing they got an M3 instead of a GS 430? The real advantages to the GS for me are that I am a gadget nut, and the technology in the M3 is severly lacking, also, the space and the comfort of the GS are positives also. I spend a lot of time in traffic, but I do consider myself sort of a driving enthusiast, so I want a car that is fun to drive...

help!
Old 11-30-05, 03:22 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a driver I would think the M3 is the way to go, theres not much out there stock that can compete from a peformance and handling perspecitive.
Old 11-30-05, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man the cars are so different though, you really have to figure out what you want, not that "i want everything" comment. you want space, luxury, gadgets, or you want to be a real driver, handling and performance. that will answer your own question.

yes you can kinda "disable" the vdim, however you sure you are going through all those procedures every time you start your car? i am not sure about that myself

i guess i have changed. couple yrs ago i would go for the m3 no question asked. but now, if i don't already have a big car at home where i can drive comfortably when i want to, i wouldn't consider the m3
Old 11-30-05, 06:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIS
As you can guess by my name on the forum, I originally planned to get an IS350 when it came out. After driving it, realized that it just was not going to work size wise. Well, then I drove the GS430, and the VDIM was soooo intrusive, that I decided it was not going to work either. So, then I put a deposit down on an M3.
The IS350 is too small for you but not the M3 ?
Old 11-30-05, 07:15 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default M45

As you can guess by my name on the forum, I originally planned to get an IS350 when it came out. After driving it, realized that it just was not going to work size wise. Well, then I drove the GS430, and the VDIM was soooo intrusive, that I decided it was not going to work either. So, then I put a deposit down on an M3. My M3 just came in (silver-gray, competition package, smg, etc) and I am supposed to go in and finalize the paperwork on Saturday. Now that I see VDIM is defeatable, my interest in the GS has been renewed, and I am, once again, confused as to what I should get.

Anyone have anything for me?? Anyone come out of an M3 to a GS, or wishing they got an M3 instead of a GS 430? The real advantages to the GS for me are that I am a gadget nut, and the technology in the M3 is severly lacking, also, the space and the comfort of the GS are positives also. I spend a lot of time in traffic, but I do consider myself sort of a driving enthusiast, so I want a car that is fun to drive...

help!
You need to go look at an Infiniti M45. More sporting than a GS, more room and civility than an M3.
Old 11-30-05, 11:28 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

you have to decide if you want apples or oranges.
Old 11-30-05, 11:46 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I say ///M3
Old 12-01-05, 06:43 AM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The IS350 is too small for you but not the M3 ?

If the IS was not a 4-door, then I dont think I would find it too small. The fact that it has four doors (two of which are useless in my opinion) but cannot really accomodate 4 or 5 people (I am 6'2" and most of my friends are larger). I know the M3 is not any bigger, but the driving position is much more comfortable, it is a coupe, so the interior size makes more sense, and the driving dynamics are such that the size issue goes away. If the IS350 had a really well planned cockpit (things like the really high center consul and window switches that are behind my knee), and the driver felt connected within the car, I think some of the size drawbacks would go away.

I agree about the apples/oranges comment. I have really been across the board on this one, from the M45 (as someone else mentioned) to the A6, IS, GS, S4, M3, 550i, C55. The M3 is definately the most fun to drive, and, at 25 years old and single, that is a pretty important thing for me. I am also used to being in a 2004 Acura TL, so its nice having a good interior and some space (like the GS has). The M45's interior layout is not attractive in my opinion...I think the speakers in the seats is a odd looking gimmick, the the area between the center consule area and the navi screen is awckward (just a huge blank spot w/ a little slot for CDs/Dvds). The engine is great, but the car is not for me.

Just to add an additional element, the M3 is actually going to be within about $30 a month of the lease payment for the GS, and this is considering that the M3 is a $64,300 car. The GS is just so damn nice, and if I can get rid of the most intrusive aspects of VDIM, that is a huge plus
Old 12-01-05, 06:47 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Your right about the cramped feeling, I also had that perception when I drove the 350, whether it is smaller than a comparable car I dont know but it sure seems like it.

Also the seats seem to narrow for me, Its like my but cheeks want to hang over the side and that my back isnt fully supported.

But then again I am 6'3 and built pretty solid. But I dont have that problem in my GS
Old 12-01-05, 08:23 AM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by morris
Your right about the cramped feeling, I also had that perception when I drove the 350, whether it is smaller than a comparable car I dont know but it sure seems like it.

Also the seats seem to narrow for me, Its like my but cheeks want to hang over the side and that my back isnt fully supported.

But then again I am 6'3 and built pretty solid. But I dont have that problem in my GS
Yup, width was a huge issue. My knees were hitting the door and the center consule at teh same time, and that was before I really tried to strech out like I tend to on long drives.
Old 12-01-05, 09:14 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

A couple of other options for consideration, if you're open to them:

1. Audi S4 - I picked up an '04 when I sold my '01 GS430, and I've really been enjoying it. For legroom and shoulder room it's in the same boat as the IS350, but I'm 6'1" and have plenty of headroom in the car. It's actually quite spacious unless you're in the back seat, and even then it's fine for carting folks to lunch, just not on a long trip. The 340HP V8 goes like snot, and AWD lends itself to some great handling. The 6MT is smooth as silk. The interior is very nice, especially the red ambient lighting at night. I've added the factory navigation system that integrates satellite radio, MP3 playback from SD cards, and Bluetooth (I haven't added the BT module...soon, though). That can be had for about $1,500 these days, and it's truly plug-and-play. I wouldn't recommend buying the car new because of steep depreciation. That can work to your advantage, though. I bought mine with VERY low mileage on it for about $12K under the cost of a new one similarly outfitted. Of course, if you like the S4 and your budget allows, there's always the new RS4 that's about to launch, too. 414HP V8, RWD-biased AWD system, etc.

2. BMW 550i - Obviously you're okay with BMW interiors since you're considering the M3. The big question is whether you're okay with Bangled exteriors. The new 550i's power-to-weight ratio is pretty close to the previous-gen M5. It's pricier than a GS430 by a bit, but it all depends on what you want. I'm thinking this might be my next car some time down the line.

3. Cadillac CTS-v - I imagine this will get discounted immediately. I bring it up only because a co-worker recently picked one up and I've been really impressed by it's performance, handling, braking, interior space, and standard features (heated seats, XM, DVD nav, built-in G-force meter, etc.). Not a big fan of the styling, inside or out, or of the slushy shifter, though I imagine that could be replaced with an aftermarket short-shift kit. Anyway, worth throwing on the table. You never know...

Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-05, 10:36 AM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

THanks for the comprehensive reviews...I am a leasing kind of guy, and the S4 is really expensive to lease even though it stickers for $5K less than the M3 I want...I do like the car a lot, and the V8 sounds great...I do, however, miss the ability to tune the turbos...if the S4 still had a forced induction engine, I would definately get it
Old 12-01-05, 11:06 AM
GS4_LEX
Driver School Candidate

I came out of the M3 Convertible and it was a great vechile. I picked up on 06 GS430 put springs on it and waiting for 20" Wheels and coilovers when they come out.

Nothing beats the high revving inline 6 and the handling is great and even better with the coupes. I had coilovers with 19" HRE's and it was fantasic. You might ask why would I trade in?

Well I kept the two for a bit and decided that I just wanted something more quiet, larger size and didn't have to worry about being at the dealership *****ing to them about small things. So I got rid of that and purchased a 1968 RS/SS Camaro Convertible( easy to repair and don't have to worry about SMG ).

BMW will put you through the paces in regards to getting things done. Takes them a long time to address issues and even then the service guys are not up to date on the service bulletiins. I had to on more than 3 occasions print them out service bulletins on the M3 Forums Board to show them the service bulletin was real. My service advisor is the only reason I kept it as long as I did. It was an 2003.5 M3 purchased new. I am waiting for the new M3 to come and will consider it then again.

BMW finance sucks at deals but I heard AUDI was worse in residual values and money factors no matter what tier level you are.

Apples and Grapefruit when you are comparing these cars. M3 handling, sport, race car feel. Lexus Luxury, Slight Sport, Quality Build.

I am more than happy with my decision on getting the GS430. I have owned two of these in 02 and 03 and that is why I wanted to come back to them again.

Mercedes - Blah - I don't care how good they look with wheels they are not my cup of tea. Talk about service issues and problems. They have had nothing but problems. All their V8 lineups. My brothers E55 05 is a piece of dung. He is thinking about getting rid of it to get into a GS430.
BMW 745I or 750IL? Bah - Idrive sucks and so does service once again. Had an 01 7 series it was junk and lemoned(dealer bought it back).

Am I biaded towards one brand? NO - but I do know when something is reliable or not. Year after year Lexus has proven itseld. BMW and Mercedes and AUDI - always has to improve on first quality and it takes them years and then they make mistakes again.

My three cents.
Old 12-01-05, 11:11 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I do, however, miss the ability to tune the turbos...if the S4 still had a forced induction engine, I would definately get it
Then one other option, though I can't personally attest to it: the Volvo S60R. High-pressure turbo I5 with AWD (albeit FWD-biased) and a pretty decent interior. Price is damned good, too.

Oh, and I will say this...after owning Acuras, a Lexus, a BMW, and an Audi, none of the others touches Lexus in the ownership experience arena. This alone makes Lexus a major contender for my money when I shop. I mentioned earlier that the 550i may be my next car, but what I failed to mention is that the other key candidate is, assuming it materializes, the IS500 convertible (the one they'll show in Detroit next month), especially if they do equip that with a manual, but even if not.

Last edited by SCWells72; 12-01-05 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 11:13 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Keep the M3

Quick Reply: M3?