GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Low Tire Pressure Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 05:22 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Low Tire Pressure Warning

Today is the second time I had my low tire warning come on in my GS300.

The first time it happened was a couple of months ago. At that time, I took it to the dealer who checked everything out and said they could find nothing wrong. When I got the car back, there was no light, and everything was fine.

Today was the second time, and I thought perhaps there was a problems with the tire pressure sensor/transmitters in the valve caps, so I took off all the caps and reinstalled them, one at a time. Unfortunately, the problem is still there.

Any ideas??
The following users liked this post:
enshiu (03-30-23)
Old 12-02-05, 05:47 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

I think if you drop the pressure a couple of pounds then fill to correct psi it will reset itself.

Last edited by 4thone; 12-14-05 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-02-05, 08:06 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba

The first time it happened was a couple of months ago. At that time, I took it to the dealer who checked everything out and said they could find nothing wrong. When I got the car back, there was no light, and everything was fine.

Today was the second time, and I thought perhaps there was a problems with the tire pressure sensor/transmitters in the valve caps, so I took off all the caps and reinstalled them, one at a time. Unfortunately, the problem is still there.

Any ideas??
try airing up the tires. u live in nj. when it gets cold u drop pressure in the tires
Old 12-03-05, 03:56 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

Don't think that would explain the incident in the summer, but may be the case here - I'll certainly try jacking up the pressure.

Does anybody know what the threshold is for triggering the low indication? Tire pressure always goes up after you get going, and in the summer incident, the light was on when I started the car (tires cold), and stayed even after a 10 mile drive on the interestate.

It's a shame the indicator system doesn't show you which tire is the problem, as some other systems do. I had those tire pressure valve caps on my earlier Lexus, and they were great - they had green, yellow, and red, so you knew which tire was the problem AND how bad it was.
Old 12-03-05, 10:54 AM
cleanm3
Rookie

yea im having the same thing with my car!. TP warning came on couple days ago. so i took it to discount they just re air all of the tires the same, than yesterday i came on again! i called the dealer they said it might be the spare tire that is off. i'll try and air it today and see what happends. I can't believe its this sensative! I had no problem with my m3 tire pressure monitor.
Old 12-11-05, 07:53 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

I checked out the tire pressure with a gauge, and found two at 28, one at 27.5, and another at 27. It turns our that the one at 27 was causing the light to come on, because as soon as I got that one up, the warning went out. The manual says 33 all around, with option to add up to 7 for high speed driving, so it appears that the sensor trips at 6 psi under the recommended level. As I said earlier, it really would have been nice if Lexus gave you a reading (or at least, indicator) for each tire.

The temps dropped quite a bit since the dealer checked my tire pressue, so that may account for the drop... I don't think I have an air leak.

I went to the service station the following day, and put them up to 40 psi (I had just driven 10 miles on the interstate, so the tires were hot, and I expect ti to drop 3-4 psi). I'll check them again when they're cold, and drop them down. I was surprised that the sidewall on the tires says 51 psi maximum.
Old 12-11-05, 09:21 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

We had the same problem, dealer told me they needed to be at 34psi. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-12-05, 10:15 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hziemba

Any ideas??
usually the tpwl will turn on when u have 29psi in the tires. air up all the tires. if u find 1 with a huge difference in pressure more than likly u have a nail in it
Old 12-12-05, 10:51 PM
Butta
Driver School Candidate

My Low tire light comes on when the temperature drops below 62 or so here in San Diego.
Old 12-13-05, 11:17 AM
merclexus
Driver School Candidate

my light just came on couple days ago too. all four tires were aroun 27 psi. I'll air it up to 30 to see if that takes the light off.

I also got another light at the same time (and exclamation mark). Is this related to the tire pressure warning light?
Old 12-13-05, 11:10 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by merclexus
my light just came on couple days ago too. all four tires were aroun 27 psi. I'll air it up to 30 to see if that takes the light off.

I also got another light at the same time (and exclamation mark). Is this related to the tire pressure warning light?
no thats ur maintince light
Old 12-13-05, 11:15 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

put ur tires at 38. ppl lose an average of 1psi a month even more when its cold
Old 12-14-05, 02:05 PM
merclexus
Driver School Candidate

OK, so i just aired it all up to 33 psi (i thought that was the recommended psi, not 38?), and all lights are off. Glad I didn't have to take it to dealer for false sensor. So, I guess the exclamation light was related to the tire pressure? I'm assuming that light comes on whenever any other problem signal comes on. I only have 2500 miles on my car, so it couldn't have been for maintenance.
Old 12-14-05, 04:12 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

OK, so i just aired it all up to 33 psi (i thought that was the recommended psi, not 38?), and all lights are off. Glad I didn't have to take it to dealer for false sensor. So, I guess the exclamation light was related to the tire pressure? I'm assuming that light comes on whenever any other problem signal comes on. I only have 2500 miles on my car, so it couldn't have been for maintenance.
i put them at 38 cuz i dont know of many lexus customers airing their tires them selves