GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vaistech iPod integrator for GS300 review

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05 | 08:42 AM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Default Vaistech iPod integrator for GS300 review

So I finally got my Vaistech SLI w/ iPod interface! It took less than half an hour to install, and a big part of that is, well, you really gotta read the manual. Once the head unit is out, the SLI plugs right in, and actually fits on top of the black tire pressure monitor at the top of the head unit. Slide it back in, and it's done. The only install issue is where to leave the iPod cable dangling out. I have it currently coming out of the left side of the center console from under the trim piece along the side of the shifter, and I just let the iPod (a Nano) drop in between the seat and console.

The unit works as a MD changer emulator, so there are some limitations to what it can do. There are two modes of operation, simple and advanced. Simple mode means you can use the steering wheel/HU controls for volume and simple last/next track, all other functions are performed on the iPod. Advanced mode means you can use the first 12 playlists on your iPod (to emulate the 12 discs the MD changer could control), and more of the HU controls, plus the display shows track title and playlist title.

Limitations: Each playlist can only contain up to 99 songs. In advanced mode, you must use the 12 playlists, and cannot play tracks that are not on a playlist. And only the first 12 (in alphabetical order) will work.

There are some other issues, but I think they're just me not fully understanding how to use it. Like the disc change buttons are supposed to advance through the playlists, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Overall, it's a great product, but you'll be stuck using simple mode if you have more than 12 playlists, or if you have a ton of music and they're not in playlists. Sound quality is great.

I'd have taken pics, but I was too excited to get it done. Plus it's so simple I don't think it's really needed!
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech iPod integrator for GS300 review-cimg0026b.jpg  
Old 12-07-05 | 09:01 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Great write-up, and just in time because I placed my order for the same unit and I should be getting it sometime next week. I'll be using my Nano with it as well. Why didn't you use the CD changer emulation mode instead? Would that have the same limitations as the MD changer emulation? Could you post more pics of where the iPod cable is dangling? I'm apprehensive about installing this unit myself so I was thinking about bringing it to a car audio/electronics store to have it professionally done. Do you think it's easy enough to do it myself? How'd you take the head unit off?
Old 12-07-05 | 09:55 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Good question, I don't really know what the difference is between CD and MD emulation. I think you're going to have the same issues, though. The CD emulator also only supports 12 "discs" (playlists) and 99 tracks per list.

It's really simple to install. The cable from the ipod splits into a small plug and 2 rca plugs. They connect to rca jacks and a connector on the SLI. There is another plug that is shaped like a "T", with the two ends of the top bar of the T shape each have a 20 pin connector. The bottom end of the T connects to the SLI. When you pull out the HU, you'll see a 20 pin connector going into the bottom back. Connect this to one of the T end 20pins. Connect the other 20 pin of the T into the back of the HU. That's it! Do a search for how to remove the HU, basically you pull off the shift ****, the center console cover and side covers, then there are 2 10mm(?) bolts on each side of the HU. There's no cutting or anything crazy, so if you have some basic skills with hand tools you'll be fine. Then again, if you have more money than you know what to do with, you can't go wrong paying someone else to do it, and you'll have someone to ***** out if it gets messed up. If you (or anyone else) is in the San Diego area, I have no problem doing it for free.

I was thinking of grafting some sort of dock into the ashtray, but I prefer being able to grab the iPod in my hand if I want to use the controls in simple mode. Oh, and I used industrial velcro to stick the SLI to the top of the tire monitor unit.
Attached Thumbnails Vaistech iPod integrator for GS300 review-cimg0027.jpg  
Old 12-08-05 | 06:55 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered mine. How long did it take for you to get it? The website states that it should take about 3 weeks. Did it arrive sooner than that?
Old 12-08-05 | 07:44 PM
BosGS430
Driver School Candidate

Do you have Satellite radio in your car too?

Thanks for the write up
Old 12-08-05 | 10:34 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Ordered 11/17, shipped 12/2, recieved 12/6.

I do not have satellite radio, but it shouldn't make a difference.
Old 12-08-05 | 11:37 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible to route the ipod cable through to the compartment in the armrest? It would be nice if you could totally hide the unit from view.
Old 12-08-05 | 11:40 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dman
Is it possible to route the ipod cable through to the compartment in the armrest? It would be nice if you could totally hide the unit from view.
That's what I'm planning on doing with mine. I like to keep all my "toys" out of sight.
Old 12-09-05 | 08:50 AM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

mike-ibp03 -

I live in Del Mar and ordered my SLI recently. When it comes in, could you help me with my install? I'm scared to do surgery on my car and would appreciate you showing me how it's done.
Old 12-09-05 | 01:21 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

How do you get to the "MD Changer" menu? I looked in the manual and there is no mention of it. Sorry if this question is remedial.
Old 12-09-05 | 03:58 PM
frebay
Pole Position

How much did the adaptor unit cost you?
Old 12-09-05 | 05:32 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by frebay
How much did the adaptor unit cost you?
it costs $299 + shipping. I think it totals at around $320.
Old 12-09-05 | 10:51 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

DMan - PM sent to you. In order to route the cable into the arm rest, you'd have to cut a hole into the front part of that center console bin. Even though it would be hidden, I'm not really into cutting anything.
Old 12-10-05 | 10:24 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dman
it costs $299 + shipping. I think it totals at around $320.

Do you think 320 is worth it?
Old 12-10-05 | 11:29 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure because I haven't gotten mine yet. I'll let you know if it's worth it when I do. I'd guess, however, that it depends on how badly you want to have ipod integration in your car. I hate the FM transmitter... poor quality and it eats up your battery. If you want a cheaper alternative and want higher sound quality than the FM transmitter, you could get a cassette adapter, but I find the wires cumbersome and annoying.

Really, it's a totally subjective call, but I'd be surprised if I don't find $300 worth it.

Quick Reply: Vaistech iPod integrator for GS300 review