GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 02 GS430 lease is coming to an end

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 04:09 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
It's called driving ability. I have a 500hp Z28 with a 5 speed and it's all about knowing how to launch, you don't need to drop a clutch at 4000 rpm to launch. Although with a lease, this would be covered under warranty. They have also improved the suspension and I confirmed that with Consumer Reports.
It was in the March 2004 issue of c&d where the CTS-V was tested against the M3 and M5. In that artical c&d talks about the problem they had with "axle tramp" (wheel hop) during hard acceleration from a standing stop. They were trying to duplicate GM's 0-60 runs in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. To quote c&d, they said "Unfortunately, we hadn't been to the GM school of CTS-V launch technique, so our efforts were rewarded by rear-wheel hop, with severity in direct proportion to the level of aggression employed to get the car out of the blocks It soon became clear that further runs were likely to bring the test to a premature end, whereupon we left off".
In the Nov 2004 issue, the CTS-v was tested against the MBC55 AMG and the Audi S4 Quattro. Again, c&d made mention "Although rear-wheel hop is still a problem in all out launches, it was eaiser to manage in this car" They were able to get a 0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 in 13.2 @109 but unable to match GM's claim of 0-60 in 4.6. Btw, in that test, the c55amg finished 3rd, cts-v 2nd and audi s4q 1st.. In terms of pure performance, the audi was the slowest with the mb and cts-v being almost equal. MB was 0-60 in 4.7 and 1/4 in 13.3 @ 108
Overall, the cts-v looks to be a great car but I have to wonder how well it will hold it's value down the road
Old 12-15-05, 10:36 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again guys.

Originally Posted by chuckb
what kind of 1/4 mile times does it run and what is the governed top speed?
Consumer Reports lists a 0-60 at 5.3 seconds (the Caddy dealer claims 5.1). Unsure of top speed. CR lists the quarter at 13.8 at 106, but I think that is a bit low based on some of the numbers posted here and my drive with the car.

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Sorry to hear about the troubles finding the GS430. Have you checked out the possibility of buying from a CA dealer and shipping to you? I know most dealers here price aggressively, so it may be cost feasible.

But if the GS is off the list, I'd go with the M45. Although I have a few issues with the interior, it offers the most bang for the buck. And it has all the technological bells and whistles you seem to like.
I agree, I think I am leaning more towards the M45 and no I haven't tried to deal with out of state dealers but the guy I am working with here found a red one yesterday in GA. Although I still have some issues with the steering and handling which Consumer reports notes as lagging behind the other vehicles in the same class. I'd be interested to learn about aftermarket upgrades.

I disagree. if a car is prone to wheel hop, it's going to do it anytime you spin the tires. if you have a 400hp mt, I'm sure you can roast the tires at will in 1st or 2nd. you should be able to do that without wheel hop.

now if you're saying driver skill as in not spinning the tires, yes that will help. like I said though,you should be able to leave a strip or two without wheel hop.
Yes, driver skill is what I was referring to, understanding that point where traction loss begins and not giving it any more gas since it won't really do you any good. About optimum launch on my Z28 is around 3400-3500, higher than that and I'm leaving tire marks all over the place.

And rheiy, thanks for the follow-up, I don't disagree with what they are saying. But I was able to launch the 1st time I drove the car with minimal traction loss and kept a Supercharged LT1 Camaro from gaining on me, even pulled on him a bit. Turns out the guy was coming back from lunch and pulled into the same dealer since he worked there. This was my 1st time driving the car, so with practice I would get better at finding that sweet spot on the clutch.

Also note that those earlier tests were on the '04 version and it appears that they have made some improvements in the vehicle since then. Some of the crumple zone safety features are awesome. In a head on collision the motor will drop down under the car instead of going straight back into the engine compartment, the hood has special hinges that keep it from going thru the windshield, etc.

Still leaning towards the M45 but who knows...................
Old 12-16-05, 09:27 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Decided on the M45. Twilight Blue, with the Sports, Technology, and aerodynamic package. Stone Leather interior. It has many of the technology features of the GS 430 and then some with added power.

Also found out that the orange dash lights can be turned off for those that don't like it.

Trust me, I will be back to Lexus soon. Looking forward to 07/08/09 vehicles and what the future holds. Lexus is a great car and company and I'll always hold a special place in my heart for my 02 GS 430. The best car I've owned to date.
Old 12-16-05, 09:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decided on the M45. Twilight Blue, with the Sports, Technology, and aerodynamic package. Stone Leather interior. It has many of the technology features of the GS 430 and then some with added power.

Also found out that the orange dash lights can be turned off for those that don't like it.

Trust me, I will be back to Lexus soon. Looking forward to 07/08/09 vehicles and what the future holds. Lexus is a great car and company and I'll always hold a special place in my heart for my 02 GS 430. The best car I've owned to date.
Congratulations on the M45. Great car IMO. The aero package also looks very nice. I know the M vs. GS debate gets pretty heated at times, but in the end, they are both very nice cars with their respective strengths and weaknesses.

If you had to get a car right now, the M was the better choice, d/t the upcoming release of the 450H and 460 next year.

Enjoy the M! Post some pics when you get the chance.
Old 12-16-05, 11:32 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Decided on the M45. .

j/k good luck with it. I'm sure it's a nice car. post some pics.
curious to see what you think of it after a while compared to your GS430. let us know.
Old 12-16-05, 11:56 AM
StasGS4
Driver

What type a lease deal did you get if I may ask? Just trying to compare to Chicago prices. Thanks.
Old 12-16-05, 02:08 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Nice choice!

Funny, I could not find a twilight blue M45 here in Chicago - actually anywhere in the Midwest. They only come in black or silver here.
Old 12-16-05, 04:30 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Decided on the M45.
Congrats and Good luck ....M45 should be a great car until you trade in for a GS460
Old 12-16-05, 04:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats man, I think today Lexus and Infinity are the only two vehicle manufacturers worthy of consideration - can't go wrong with either one.
Old 12-16-05, 07:24 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately the deal didn't happen. Serves me right for posting too early

Originally Posted by doug_999
Nice choice!

Funny, I could not find a twilight blue M45 here in Chicago - actually anywhere in the Midwest. They only come in black or silver here.
Yes they are difficult to find, somewhat rare. When I got there they had a line on one, but wouldn't tell me where, it was Blue, Stone, Sport, only NAV, which is not quite what I wanted (nor could they confirm that it existed(contrary to what I was told the day before in person and on the phone that same day..). And they wanted $500 to ship on top of destination $$ ($600+)....hmmm....did not put me in a good mood. Left.

Tried to switch me to a nice Liquid Platinum w/Stone Tech, Sport, no Aero (car I drove the day before, very nice and may default to it, maybe). They also had a Blk/Grhpt with Jrny Pkg, Sport, and rear DVD (which I don't need).

So disappointed the one I thought I had fell through. Arghhhh, serves me right.

Still not giving up hope, any search suggestions or help is certainly appreciated.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 12-16-05 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 07:30 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

j/k good luck with it. I'm sure it's a nice car. post some pics.
curious to see what you think of it after a while compared to your GS430. let us know.

Yes, I deserve this! (hangs head low ).

Who knows, with a lot of luck and some perseverence.......maybe (I can follow thru on that pic request?). I do have 12 days, worse case I still drive a Lexus. Oh whoa is me ...LOL!

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 12-16-05 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 10:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately the deal didn't happen. Serves me right for posting too early

Yes they are difficult to find, somewhat rare. When I got there they had a line on one, but wouldn't tell me where, it was Blue, Stone, Sport, only NAV, which is not quite what I wanted (nor could they confirm that it existed(contrary to what I was told the day before in person and on the phone that same day..). And they wanted $500 to ship on top of destination $$ ($600+)....hmmm....did not put me in a good mood. Left.

Tried to switch me to a nice Liquid Platinum w/Stone Tech, Sport, no Aero (car I drove the day before, very nice and may default to it, maybe). They also had a Blk/Grhpt with Jrny Pkg, Sport, and rear DVD (which I don't need).

So disappointed the one I thought I had fell through. Arghhhh, serves me right.

Still not giving up hope, any search suggestions or help is certainly appreciated.
Oh man, I feel your pain. They told me that if I wanted a blue or red M45, I would have to order (3.5 months) - that NONE were coming into the Midwest region through December. And this was in October. Still, while I think I could live with the interior, the rosewood just didn't look right nor did the aluminum cube.

I ended up ordering a 550. Got the exact car I wanted, with the exact options I wanted - in less than 6 weeks. It did however cost $12K more than the M45!!!! If I were you, I would test drive one. They are amazing. Inventories are rising and the prices are falling. They were at sticker when they came out, $2-3K below sticker in Nov and I think they are $1K above cost at most dealers now. Find one with the comfort seats - unbelievable.

Good luck with whatever you do.

PS - my only advice is to not settle on any car because of a deal. Saving $100 a month is not worth it when you have to drive the thing every day. Trust me on this one!
Old 12-21-05, 05:46 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

http://www.fototime.com/inv/96FE3465C3DC967

Some links to some pics of the GS and the M this morning. Pardon the house as it is a little on the shabby side thanks to Hurricane Wilma.
Old 12-21-05, 08:11 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some links to some pics of the GS and the M this morning. Pardon the house as it is a little on the shabby side thanks to Hurricane Wilma.
The M is lookin' very nice. How dark are the tints? And you got the sport package with 19's?
Old 12-22-05, 12:02 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Did you end up getting the car? The M45 in those pics seems to have a normal license plate and tint already...

Quick Reply: My 02 GS430 lease is coming to an end